Will the KS9 be updated to the Marvel 2.0 firmware?

I suspect one factor that impacts wind noise is how the aids ride on one’s ear. Things that might impact this are anatomy and receiver wire length.

My old Resound Linx2 and my trails with both OPN & OPN-S actually we’re pretty nice with wind or air curtains (as the one at Walmart entrance) . But yesterday when I entered Walmart I noticed that the left M90 trial aid is picking the AC air flow (not humming but like smooth wind). Interesting this is only in the left but the right no! Which makes me wonder if the wind block in off on the left ?
Am still wondering if someone tried the KS9 and KS8 to give me their feedback. I decided to go with Costco but still deciding which one.

Somewhat surprised that KS8 is still an option. Both are good aids. I’d decide on some feature that matters to you and make a choice. I think one of the most important things for you will be your mold/dome. I’m guessing you’d go with a custom mold? Maybe ask which company they have the best luck with? If you’re not going with custom mold, try out the different domes they have available (a closed click sleeve for the KS8 might do well, but I still suspect you’d do better with custom molds)

Yes, Costco Audi confirmed I would need a mold as this will be much better with feedback. I asked if it’s available in soft and she said sure. I don’t know about the closed click sleeve. Is this like a double dome ?.
Actually I personally like the soft than the acrylic domes. Acrylic is hard and not fit deep

Closed Click Sleeve is supposed to provide as much feedback prevention as double dome, but is notably different in appearance. I think you’ll do better in custom mold.

1 Like

Yes, she mentioned that KS8 (Rexton Signia) is still available. I think they still have some stock.
Out of curiosity, will wind management will be better with molds! I know mold are for better feedback but was just wondering if this will also help.

I don’t think so. Wind management is about the interaction between the wind and the microphone interface. It can either be handled physically (Ear gear, hat, headband, etc.) or with software tweaks. I don’t really think there are any software tweaks that are completely effective.

I have recently used my KS8’s with both a custom mold and small vents, and with the closed click sleeves. There is no difference in wind noise as the wind noise is caused by the wind blowing over the microphones which are outside the ear. If someone had a lot of hair that might reduce wind noise. Wearing a toque eliminates it, even in quite a strong wind.

Based on my experience and looking at your loss in the critical 2-4 kHz range I suspect you may get away with closed click sleeves on the KS8. I went through three sets of silicone custom molds and have now gone back to closed click sleeves. I just found the custom molds too uncomfortable compared to the click sleeves.

Signia/Rexton claim significant benefits for the click sleeves in this article. My experience is that the custom molds are significantly better in reducing feedback though. In the end I decided I would put up with the feedback in trade for the increased comfort of the click sleeves.

1 Like

I looked for the KS8 sheet and found that the below mentioned for the P receiver . I guess they assume the click domes can work . Right?

I have Signia Pure NX (essentially the same as KS8). And I have custom molds. “Wind management” is about worthless, IMHO.

Yes, I believe the S, M, and P receivers will all fit in the click sleeves. The HP one does not, and a custom mold has to be used to accept the receiver which is physically much larger.

What is nice about the click sleeves is that they are oval shaped, not round and come in a wide range of sizes to fit the ear. Be sure to try the different sizes to see which one fits best so it does not fall out or leak to cause feedback.

This is what your loss looks like with a P receiver, NAL-NL2 prescription, and closed click sleeves. The shaded areas are ones of potential feedback. You are more likely to be OK with the right and less likely with the left. My experience is that Rexton/Signia are somewhat optimistic in their feedback estimation.

Custom molds are probably safe, but then there is the comfort issue. At least with Costco, if you don’t like the molds they will take them back. Double domes are an option too, but are likely no better than the closed sleeves at least in theory. But if they fit your specific ears better they could work too. My thoughts would be to try both the closed click sleeves and click double domes before resorting to the custom molds.

Thanks Sierra. This is so Informative and certainly a guide I will use to test the Rexton/Signia one. I did like the CONNEX app and is similar to the Marvel 2.0 . Also, after testing the Marvel, I don’t appreciate the MFA and prefer the MFI. But again, am looking for comfort and aid which overcomes my loss and suites my active lifestyle.
Will give the Rexton a try next week and if I like it will order. If not, then will order the KS9.

To original question, will KS9s be able to be upgraded to Marvel 2.0 firmware? Any further info on this?

Nothing I’ve heard of. I think it’s pretty safe to assume that if it happens, it’ll show up on the forum pretty quickly. I wouldn’t hold your breath. :slight_smile:

There seem to be a belief that the biggest difference between the Marvel’s & the KS9S is software & not hardware. Amirite?

That is correct. That’s largely how hearing aid manufacturers differentiate their product. The differences between Marvel 90 (premium) and Marvel 30 (basic) is software.

My Costco rep told me he believes the ks9 will come out with size 13 battery option next year…early…anyone else “hear” this?

I have an RS9 still in trial - been to 4 fitting changes and this unit is still not right-going for my 5th on Friday–I have only one HA for right ear as the original fitter said my left ear would not benifit from one–I started with double domes (not sure if that desc is correct-they were small) and on my 3rd visit to another fitter he said the dome was too small–he gave me the large size and they made me feel like I was under water–stuffy–reading this forum it has been very helpful, more so than the fitters–I found out that he gave me power domes that are basically for low freq loss and I have high freq loss-- I called and asked if they had the open type and they told me that I had to be fitted for them on my next visit–being a tinker person-- I took a power dome and cut little wedges (3) out of the circumference -made a world of difference–I looked on Amazon for large open domes and ordered them for only $8 free shipping for 10–and tried them out - was not quite as good as my improvised ones but I have read that the dimes have to have the fitter adjust the HA for the type of dome – My question after that long description - why would I be fitted with closed domes from the get go if my loss is high freq -A question I am sure to ask Friday but maybe you can explain

Would really help to see your audiogram. It can give a lot more info than a simple description. There’s certainly a possibility they made a mistake.