Will Resound/Jabra release a new aid this year?

The Resound Nexia was released in Oct. '23 and the Jabra Pro 20 in Nov. Of '23.
Should we expect a new aid to hit this year? I ask because we are in Oct and as far as i know the Nexia is still the newest release. Tnx

I thought you were abandoning the Jabras for the 9050s? I havenā€™t followed the Jabra or 9050 threads for a while, AIA.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to think itā€™s just around the corner, the sphere has been enticing a seductive buzz for many people, Signia and ReSound have both said AI is the way forward for them, as the benchmark has now been set (well for now anyway) they wonā€™t be left behind, within the coming months.

1 Like

I remember the hubbub from a modest-sized group on this forum about the Whisper Hearing System back around 2020. It required a subscription and, IIRC, a pocket-sized external unit. Is that technology a dead end compared to Phonakā€™s, or did some other HA OEM get a hold of it?

Maybe @AbramBaileyAuD knows if that product has any potential afterlife (if made more efficient and down-sized as Phonak did with the DeepSonic chip)? He suggested that in writing a R.I.P. article in June 2023. It would be funny if Phonak sucked it up to eliminate a potential competitor, as bigger companies in a market sometimes do.

And then thereā€™s this post by Abram suggesting something related to Meta/Facebook as both Whisper founders were ex-Facebook: Whisper Hearing to stop supporting "Whisper Hearing System" hearing aids - #21 by AbramBaileyAuD (around and around the wheel, she goes, and where she stops, nobody knowsā€¦

2 Likes

I did return my Jabra 20ā€™s. Butā€¦ yesterday i did a store walk around with both the 9050 and the Reach and didnt like either one. I can only guess that with my loss and using Resound aids for the last 3 years, i have grown very accustomed to the Resound ā€œsoundā€. The Reach just didnt offer the sharpness to words that im used to, even when gains set above target. The 9050 was even more soft sounding. During my discussions and adjustments i kept asking the tech to repeat herself. Same with gf walking around the store, I kept asking her, what? It was really an eye opener and quite educating for me since i believed all the aids are mostly equal. So now im kinda stuck because my Jabra 20ā€™s had so many issues but hoping the 30ā€™s (?) will be more reliable with possibility better connectivity.
To be honest there wasnt much difference between my Oneā€™s and the 20ā€™s. Comprehension in noise was maybe slightly better, wind noise and noise from my hair was better, but overall comprehension was about the same. Im sure others will disagree but the difference in aids was surprising

3 Likes

I too returned the Jabra 20, which I had purchased due to good experiene with my Resound HAs. My Jabra 20 experience was so disappointing I cannot put much faith in any subsequent models (at this point, anyway). Connectivity with my Android phone was not consistent, and hearing in noise was definity not good, which was my primary motivation to update my Resounds.
I did try the 9050ā€™s this week, and they definitely sounded clearer than my Resounds, and considering Costco as generally noisy, was definitely better than the Jabra 20 experience in noise that I had.
What has been Resound/Jabraā€™s update cycle? Annual? Bi-Annual? Unless I hear soon that Jabra has addressed the Android connectivity issues and also improved their hear in noise setup, I will be going a different path.

2 Likes

If by this year you mean 2024, I donā€™t think it will happen. Sometime in 2025 seems likely but itā€™s just a guess.

2 Likes

Binaural Ai functionality is likely to need two ears working together to accept the nuance of both level, directional/temporal effects in order to resolve the sound field around you. Thereā€™s a likelihood that your degree of Asymmetry doesnā€™t allow this to happen in a conventional stereo sense.

However, the GN system that splits the function into a ā€˜Focus Earā€™ and ā€˜Omni Earā€™ may have worked better for you in the past - effectively giving you a usable directional system to your good side whilst controlling the overall ambient via the poorer ear. Less feedback with this system too as the Omni mic function on is a flatter response.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. My audiologist at Costco thought that maybe the reason I didnā€™t take to the Jabras was because I was coming from Oticon aids. Iā€™d gotten used to the Oticon sound. That didnā€™t seem plausible to me at the time, but now it may do. The Jabras to me were aggressive. The 'tā€™s and the 'dā€™s were explosive- almost literally popping like an old pop gun (that ages me). I was glad to return them. The Philips are more comfortable, even if they havenā€™t improved my comprehension by a whole lot.

1 Like

I wish I had returned my Jabra enhance 20 but thought updates to bluetooth would fix it for the Android phones after the one UI 6.1.1 release. While the worst of the problems have partly disappeared and streaming works better, use on phone calls is deplorable at best. I now see that jabra has not upgraded its firmware so that other more recent models of samsung phones are included. In speaking with their on-line technical support, it is apparent that the support crew is getting very tired of the problems. If I were Costco, I would not renew their contract unless there are some immediate fixes and it worked on all android phones. Jabra and Samsung engineers need to get together or Jabra needs to get out of the business.

1 Like

Frank, I feel your pain in this. I do have a S24, so that is an issue for me as well. Android connectivity must be an ugly stepchild in the HA world. Maybe Iā€™ll move to the iPhone world (not my 1st choice) someday.

Thanks for that info, very appreciated.

And thanks for the other replies as well.

The Nexia/EP20 seem to have come out 12 months after the Omnia/EP10 - October '22 and '23. October '24 is almost over, and no new ReSound or Jabra announced or on the market. Iā€™m not holding my breath for new offerings from ReSound.

1 Like

They are leading manufacturer, new models are just months away, they have announced they intend to fight for market share on VA and see AI as the future to it.

Of course itā€™s months away. The question is how many.