Widex Moment Sheer 440 or Phonak Lumity 90

The other issue is I am finding my tinnitus is screaming with the new Widex.
It was settled down with my old Widex.
Maybe I am blaming the new aids, when it’s me, but the old ones were clearer also…. I want to ask if any of the new HA’s have the volume adjustment on theHA’s anymore… The audiologist said they all are tied to the phone app.

1 Like

My Widex Moment 330 HAs have the button on the HAs set up as follow:
Right HA - quick press increases volume for both HAs, long press turns off/on this specific HA
Left HA - quick press decreases volume for both HAs, long press turns off/on this specific HA

Your audiologist should be able to set your HA buttons to do this via the Compass? software they use to setup & tune the HAs.
I also have the Widex Moment app on my iphone SE (2020) which adds many more controls for the HAs.

1 Like

I have the Widex moment 440 RIC model. There is a button, however it turns off the aid. My audiologist told me today that none of the new aids have the volume on the aid itself. So the model 330 has it…. Hmmm thx!

On the phoenix HA, is there a volume adjustment on the aid or only on the phone app now ? Thx

I hear your frustration! Thanks for posting.

I trialed some Moments Sheer 440s, and the buttons worked the way Paul described them–right for volume for both HAs, and the left to decrease the sound. I used the “turn off” feature when I needed to reset to add or change any features.

I have ordered some Moments Sheer 440s, and I expect to be able to use the sound feature on the hearing aids themselves. I don’t want to have my phone on my person all the time either. Does your audiologist work with Widex a lot? I ask that because so many practices predominantly sell a certain brand of hearing aid.

I have the Widex moment 440 RIC. The only button on the HA is to turn them on and off which the audiologist said not to turn off. Someone said the 330 has the volume control on the aid.
It sounds like the Phonak audio luminosity has the volume on the air also.

I think your audiologist may be wrong, or she set your HAs to not allow the user to not control volume. I am not sure why an audiologist would tell you not to turn off your hearing aids when you have to turn off the hearing aids to pair them with your phone and for the television device if you have one.

The model you have is the same that I trialed and the one I will be receiving. Here is the user’s manual:

Hi, to add some information I missed out - my HAs are rechargeable Widex Moment 330 RICs.
I often use the buttons to turn the HAs off or on, e.g. when I go into my workshop where there is lots of dust I turn the HAs off via the buttons and put them in a container so they don’t get dirty.
Strange that your audi told you not to turn the HAs off.

1 Like

Nice post, thanks. A couple items especially of interest to me, I’m currently trialing the Wide Moment Sheer 440s, I’ve had Resound Quattros previously. I’m also a musician and I’m finding most Widex programs are quite nice for music (wasn’t the case with my Resounds) except the actual Music program which seems to adding some distortion on higher notes (I’m a guitarist). Any thoughts on this? I’m also a software engineer so being able to self adjust the aids is very appealing, is the Noah interface something readily available?

I trialed Oticon Real, Phonak Paradise and Moments. With the Oticons, best I could figure, had noticably high distortion (almost equal 2nd and 3rd) in the higher frequencies. That was a short trial. Phonak Paradise were very smooth sounding with the best processing for supressing noise and highlighting voices, but the rolled off sound and lack of resolving of instruments wasn’t great. I decided to trial the Moments because of everything I’d read about their capabilities for music, especially the notably higher sampling rate. They’ve been great, very resolving for music. Voices are crisp too.

I’ve never heard of a ‘power dome’ for Widex, they call domes tips. They do have a power receiver, like other brands, for higher sound levels in the ear canal.

If you’re in the music industry, do what it takes to make the Moments work.

1 Like

These are the tips I am referring to. I have a great deal of trouble finding them in Australia, where I live.

When you say, “do what it takes to make the Moments work”, I wholeheartedly agree. I am a huge believer in brain plasticity and adaptability. After 6 months of very intensive and relentless ear / brain training, I am now clearly hearing the bottom two strings of my guitar in all their tonal and bass-rich glory.

1 Like

Can you order on line?

Hmm, very interesting. I wonder if the tulip and double tips are new versions. The double tip looks the same, with an extra flange that’d help keep the receiver centered.

I’ve just joined this group/forum. I too am a musician and am so happy to read all the comments here. I’ve had HAs for years and just about to purchase new ones. Widex moment 440. Trying them out. Overall best sound for me so far. I also love that I can’t hear the computer making decisions, and whatever decisions it’s making sound fine to me. The one thing that’s really not working though is the sound with bluetooth: The music streaming and phone call streaming are what we used to call “phone” sound. Terrible fidelity and all centred in mid range; no highs and even less lows than normal. Has anyone else experienced that with Widex moment 440? Any suggestions? Cheers, Bill.

I have Widex Moment 330 HAs but I suspect the bluetooth connectivity is the same as for your Moment 440s.
My HAs have 2 settings for bluetooth connectivity, Speech and Music. However I found I could not manually select the setting and the software in the HAs would automatically select what it assumed to be the appropriate setting.
So often I would get assigned the Speech setting which restricted the frequency range of the bluetooth transmission when I would have preferred the Music setting; annonyingly this would happen when I tried to listen to music so I gave up and resorted to listening to music directly on my Bose over the ear headphones (with the hearing aids removed from my ears).
Hopefully this explains your poor experience with listening to music on your Moment 440 HAs.

I have Moment 440’s and I would like to add to Paul’s comments
As Paul says, there is choice of Speech or Music available while streaming - which seems to cut out all other sounds.
In my case it ALWAYS selects speech when I start streaming music, which can be changed to music in the Moment app. Once changed to Music, it does seem to stay there.
Since i don’t listen to a lot of streamed music I don’t feel qualified to comment on the sound quality. I think it is better, that’s all

I am a musician, music producer, songwriter and composer. I have both the Phonak P-90 (plus a backup pair) and the widex moment sheer 440s. I learned how to program both in this forum’s DIY community. After extensively working with both sets in my ears, I went with the phonaks, although I think I preferred the sound of the widex, however, the widex were always feeding back, which the phonaks don’t. Phonak has an “overtune” function that allows for more of the high end I’m missing without feedback. They actually sound very good to me now, and were also better for speech. when they weren’t feeding back, the widex were slightly warmer for music. Remember that with open domes (with vents, and less occlusion) more bass frequencies escape the ear canal, and no hearing aids will sound good for music. You’re better off putting in airpods pro if listening to streamed music is the intended activity. By the way, I’m selling my widex moment 440 sheers, they’re listed in the classifieds here. I’m also going to list my backup (extra) pair of Phonak L-90s that I don’t see needing anymore.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your thoughts. Like Paul I have to take my hearing aids out, put on my excellent headphones to hear a full sound with balanced frequencies. Using the Moment HAs it sounds like an old telephone. Oticon and Phonaks sound much better streaming, but not as good with speech, I just tried your suggestion and found that streamed music and streamed speech settings had the same sound.

I do feel like I’ve got some setting wrong, but I don’t know what.

Cheers

@Bill_H I have the BTE version with custom earmoulds, I don’t know if that makes a difference. My experience with phone calls with the Moment 440’s can only be described as fantastic and I no longer fear receiving phone calls. And yes, I did get through a good choice of phones , with volume controls too, but the stereo effect with the hearing aids makes all the difference - and so much better than any old phone!

Please go for a drive while you are testing the hearing aids. I find that they automatically reduce the overall noise levels quite dramatically - you may find that this noise reduction, which is most effective, may also change music or speech in the car unacceptably to your ears