Why do most audiologist refuse to reprogram online purchases?

My story is that I went to a High Street chain, who do glasses and hearing. I bought some Starkey Livio aids, they fitted them and I made an appointment for a month later to get them adjusted. Covid happened and that appointment never happened. I bought a Noah link and downloaded the Starkey software. After much tinkering I got them to an acceptable performance. These were low grade Livios and I decided to buy some Phonak Audeo Paradise p90’s and got them from an online company who would do adjustments remotely, or if I went to them, a long journey, for a great deal less than High Street prices. They were set up close to perfectly on arrival. A year later I found an independent local company to do a full hearing assessment (very thorough and with best practices) and they adjusted them without any fuss. I paid for both services. I will now stick with them, so it was good business to do so. I am delighted with the Phonaks. Two points, one, you cannot get the software for most brands in the UK, they don’t want you to have it. Two, do some research and go to a good and if possible independent audiologist. They actually care, unlike some of the big chain companies, in my experience!

5 Likes

Nice idea: but that’s not how perceived obligation works in the eyes of consumers - especially those who can write you a poor review in seconds, because ‘you broke their hearing aid’.

Like I said before: it dilutes the offering to your existing customers and has the propensity to get ‘messy’ with current and future cost implications.

2 Likes

Just yesterday we had someone scream at us over the phone because we reprogrammed their hearing aid 10 months ago and over the past 2 months it ‘doesn’t sound good’ and we quoted a fee for them to come back in. How dare we charge them a second time when we didn’t get it right the first time (even though they were happy on follow-up and happy for 8 months).

I gotta say, there’s a special place in hell for patients who are all peaches and cream with me but scream bloody murder at my reception.

6 Likes

Yes @Neville …. There is always one!!!

Poet John Lydgate, wrote these immortal words;

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Later adapted by; President Abraham Lincoln.

That truth, doesn’t alter over time, some folks are only happy when they are crying…. :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy:

6 Likes

@Neville: Neville, before you make a statement like that … have you listened in on a friend calling your receptionist and leaving a message? I don’t yell at my audiiologist’s reception, but (and I keep a record) 4 out if 5 times that I try to leave a message, the audiologist doesn’t get the content I left with the receptionist, as I left it. I think she is incompetent, and it probably shows in my voice, because she tells her boss that I’m rude. Just make sure you consign to your special spot in Hell those who truly are meritorious.

2 Likes

Boy would I love to be at that point. While I’m articulate in describing how sounds (ambient, speech, music) are sounding to me with my new Phonak Life aids, I’d get to that final, perfect end point of having the “perfect” hearing aids a lot faster if I could just tell my audi exactly what needs to be changed where in the software.

Without being able to talk the talk, patients like us can easily run up against a wall of disbelief or resistance from our audis if we REALLY want more bass, less high frequency or whatever. Hearing is such an individualized experience, yet we have to rely on someone completely outside our body to somehow get inside our EARS and figure out how we want our hearing aids to sound.

2 Likes

My own experiential conclusion is that chasing the “perfect” HAs settings is most likely a no-win situation. Acoustic landscapes are very dynamic even one on one and whether person is articulating or slightly turning their head and the frequency structure of what they are saying AND how familiar I am with the topic we are discussing and what they might typically be conveying. For me there is a range of settings that seems to be perhaps?? good enough; meaning that they are optimal for moment “X” and less so for moment “Y” whereas for some other choice of settings that might be reversed. Of course we hope for the magic bullet that is a sweet spot for a very wide range of moments.

I have shifted my hearing strategy to continue to include the vital importance of my HAs and to perhaps every 6-8 months wondering about changes in settings based on primarily objective testing of my hearing, but in between time focus on what I can do from moment “X” to moment “Y” to improve the communication. As with my eyesight, letting go of too much efforting and straining to hear and understand tends to improve things along with focused attention on what is coming through clearly (as if I am telling my brain “thank you for that clarity, would love more of that”). Don’t get me wrong, I still have frustrations with hearing and HAs and ask for things to be repeated etc. but somehow softening my attitude toward what I experience has me happier about my communications. Sometimes when hearing every word accurately is not an issue e.g. I am not following instructions, giving some attention to the feeling being expressed create more of a connection with someone than decoding clearly each word. All of this is easier with those whom I am close to rather than newly met people and there is a clarity threshold below which I find that I have almost completely lost the person, yet allowing what I hear clearly be somewhat dynamic is often ok. Sometimes I move into a mode of hearing someone as if I am listening to music and allow my attention to shift to different aspects of the “vocal instrument.”

Seems like from what you wrote, you have good self observation on what hearing is and isn’t working for you … hope you find the sweet spots as you go forward.

Edit PS my comment has moved this thread far off from what the OP started with; my apologies.

Yes. But that is the SAME situation for folks with perfect hearing, I’m thinking! I actually think I can achieve a level of “perfection” for my relative situation. I may not hear like someone without aids, but my hearing is very nuanced - it’s just from a different level/perspective.

I totally agree with your sentiment on “CONNECTING” to the individuals or settings in which we are communicating. That sets the context and helps our brain fill in the blanks as needed. We pick up cues from facial expressions and inflection, and like a bloodhound, those cues are what we train our ears to hear, like a hound picks up scent to track. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Your source for this misinformation?

2 Likes

Yeah, calls coming into our office are recorded.

I get the other issue too–we’ve had some reception change-over which means a lot of training. When patients tell me that they didn’t feel heard on the phone it’s useful for me, I take steps to address those issues with staff member training. We did indeed have someone on staff ages ago who would yell at the patients when she got flustered, but she didn’t last long.

The ones that are friendly to clinicians and rude to staff are a very small subset (happily), and generally repeat offenders.

1 Like

Bob Dylan added: “I let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours”. :wink:

1 Like

Things may change if this goes into effect.

Thank you @BeachBum, I wasn’t aware of that…. I am wasn’t a massive fan of Robert Zimmerman, but I did love some of his stuff…. Cheers Kev :wink:

@Neville: I have tried, on several occasions, to address my issues with the audiologist, but he always sides with the receptionist. Calls are not recorded - it’s a small outfit - so it’s my word against hers.

I’m sorry about that.

@Neville: Well, it’s going to cost him a customer, but I don’t think he cares. He told me when he called me to give me hell for telling the receptionist (kindly and politely) that I expected a callback that day - 4 days after having left a message - “I expect to have only one interaction with a patient at an an appointment, not 3 or 4.” (… this referring to the questions I often have about what he’s done to my aids, since he doesn’t explain that very well during the appointment, and I often don’t know what is going on until after I have worn them for a few days. Then, I ask a question like “How come DSL v5, just reinstalled, doesn’t sound like it did back in February? Is something different this time?”).

So, he’s losing what he considers a “high maintenance” client, and won’t care. I have informed Veterans Affairs Canada that I’m shopping for a new audiologist, and they reassured me that is entirely my prerogative.

2 Likes

I think it may have to with them not wanting to deal with a problem child. Why take on a client that won’t make you money and already has a history of being unsatisfied? There really isn’t any positive for the audi.

1 Like

@mr.smithster: To whom are you responding with your post?

Just posting in general to the OP

1 Like

@mr.smithster: Sorry - I just was not connecting any dots.