Who makes Costco batteries?

Costco changed their hearing aid battery products as of January, 2016. They didn’t know who the new manufacturer was. Do any of you knowledgable viewers know by chance?

I haven’t been to Costco so far this year, so a little sad to read that. Up til now they have been about as good as any I’ve found. Who made the old ones? I used to get some fantastic ones at Radio Shack, then they changed manufacturers (and of course finally imploded).

I’m due for new aids as mine are falling apart. I’m thinking of switching from and ITE device to a BTE (RIC) just to get better battery capacity.

The old ones were Ray-O-Vac. It had the name in fine print on the back of the package at one time.

Nice to know. I just picked up my first batch of the new ones. I hate those rotating packages. You can’t transport them without the batteries falling out. Ugh.

I asked yesterday while I was at Costco and was told they are still Ray-O-Vac

Wow, well I hope the quality hasn’t gone down. Also thanks for the pill holder photo. I really liked the old cardboard version as I could cut a 2x2 or 2x3 section and safely carry it in my pocket. If the pill holder is tiny enough for just a couple of 10’s then it might be OK.

YEP…I opened them up to put the individual packets away…and batteries fell all over the place. Their package is extremely poor.

My experience exactly. Poor packaging wrapped in worse packaging. Maybe they are just taunting us.

Im pretty sure costco gets off using poor packing… If it really is problem for you spend $ more.

I just keep extra batteries in my hearing aid travel pouch that I got when got my hearing aids. I keep the batteries in a small plastic bag so they don’t get “lost” in the pouch. I also keep a spare cleaning brush in the pouch as well just in case. Works fine for me.

Zinc Air Batteries need to be stored in air tight containers. Air activates them.

The batteries I get have a little peel off sticker. Peeling off the sticker activates them. I have never been told anything about them having to be in air tight containers.

Here is a link regarding zinc battery storage. Nothing about air tight containers:

Sorry no. With the tabs on they are fine - heat is more of an issue as it causes the tabs to peel - also storing them together rather than apart can cause shorting/discharge which is why the proper packets keep them separated.

Still the same packaging here in Australia. I checked while I was in store today. Actually, I was hoping for the disk style rotating package as I would prefer that style.

There was a series on HearingHealthMatters ( .org? )and they also mentioned that once the tab seal is broken the clock starts ticking (so to speak). Putting the tab back on won’t help. It will drain no matter what from then on, whether you are using it or if it’s put away.

I can say that waiting that 2 minutes after taking the tab off sometimes seems like forever… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got new Linx2 9’s Monday and was in Costco today, so I stopped by the HA counter to check on the price of 312 batteries. I noted the new packaging and asked the girl behind the counter if that round package would work well for pocket carry. She told me they were not durable enough for that, but she gave me a small battery carrier that attaches to your keychain.

I purchased a set of Phonak Brios at Costco in Jan 2016 and was given a package of Kirkland 312 cells. After about a week, the HA’s would give me a warning tone about 20 min before they shut down and a final tone when they did. I tried other batteries to experiment with. Power One cells worked ok, (these were given to me in my trisl of Resound Linx 2s) but Energizer cells made the Brios shut down erratically towards the end of their life.

I asked my Costco Audiologist about batteries and she commented that Kirland cells “were Rayovac and very inexpensive so why would I want to buy anything else.”

Indeed, it appears that the Kirkland cells are a great deal and appear to work well with the Brios and I seem to have read that Rayovac is recommended by Phonak for this model.

In my experience though, it appears that exposure to moisture seems to shorten the life of zinc air cells. I wasn’t advised to, but I purchased a dryer unit. I think that this may help protect my HA’s from corrosion and the batteries in better working order.

"The batteries I get have a little peel off sticker. Peeling off the sticker activates them. I have never been told anything about them having to be in air tight containers.

Here is a link regarding zinc battery storage. Nothing about air tight containers:

https://www.phonak.com/content/dam/p…0140915rat.pdf"

Thanks - this information is not always easy to find and there is a lot of conflicting info floating around.