Which is better? TV direct streamer or Bluetooth sound bar?

JUst got the Phillips hearing aids from Costco. Debating between getting the direct TV streamer or a blue tooth soundbar. ANY OPINIONS. Also what is the best option when one regularularly uses 2 TVS’?

2 Likes

I dont use Phlips, but if it is similar to the Phonak Tv Connector you should get it. Using BT directly from a tv or soundbar will have a delay. Some TVs have an audio offset you can play with, but if not you will have a lip sync delay which is quite annoying.

3 Likes

I had a BT soundbar. The TV streamer for my Jabras is much better. YMMV - if you search this forum you should find a thread that states the opposite. All I can say is that I needed CC with the Yamaha soundbar, and I don’t with the ReSound TV streamer. My bet is that the Philips is just as good, because TV streaming for HAs seems to be a commodity.

I’d vote for streamer. For two TVs, two streamers would be most convenient although you could switch back and forth. Probably depends somewhat on your loss. If you have a mild loss and like all the special effects, you might prefer a sound bar, but it your loss is significant and you like to understand dialogue, get the streamer.

1 Like

I just returned my new Phonak hearing aids and Phonak Tv Connector. None of the Phonak adjustable high end features work with the television and streaming sources!

Agreed @MDB, I have 3 streamers or Phonak TV Connector 2’s, one I got as a freebie, with my old marvel aids, one on eBay, and the other I bought on here, so I have never actually paid the full price, 2 of these live permanently on 2 different smart TV’s, the other is a floater, for my other TV, laptop, iMac or MacBook… Brilliant for Zoom calls, as my Naida’s have a built in pickup mic, so no headset is required, TV connector 2 is extremely versatile, with no lag… Cheers Kev :slight_smile:

I wear Oticon Mores and have multiple setups including, one connected to Oticon streamer, 1 connected to a modestly priced high fi sound system, 2 with sound bars, and 2 with RF headphones.

In terms of dialogue, the Oticon TV streamer is best, followed by the headphones. Sound bar the worst.

Headphones is best for speech plus special effects, like action movies, sports, and such.

The advantage of streamer and headphones is that if set up correctly, you can use them in conjunction with sound bar or hi fin system to allow others to listen at their volume and yourself to listen at your own volume.

Could you tell me the eBay seller you bought a streamer from? My HAS discouraged me from buying on eBay (of course, since he sells them?). There were two sellers who have 100% positive reviews when I looked. Some reviewers said the seller was very responsive in helping set the streamer up.

1 Like

Sorry @emjay_flowers its over 2 years ago since I bought the TV Connector 2 on eBay, it was a UK seller based in Edinburgh I believe, but their name escapes me! Any seller with 100% is usually very reputable, especially if they have a lot of sales… Good luck, cheers Kev :wink:

I also bought my streamer on EBay without incident. Most sellers are honest folks. And there is an EBay resolution process should you run into problems.

1 Like

Question: Do these TV streamers allow more than one person to hear at the same time? Either 2 ppl with hearing aids, or one with, and one without?
It doesn’t affect me, as I live alone and have a solution that works great for me. Just wondering, as I don’t see it discussed anywhere.

My TV has one setting that allows optical output to my streamer and output from the TV’s speaker. I wish it allowed optical and HDMI at the same time, but opt and internal speaker is the only way mu TV will provide sound to non-ReSound HA users. IOW, I suspect the relevant control is in your TV or AV-amp, not the streamer.

For Oticon aids that can use the TV Adapter 3 (at least the OPN, More, and Real versions), the answer is yes as long as both aid users have supported Oticon aids. The same signal is received by all aids that have been paired with the Adapter. I’ve read that the adapters from other aid manufacturers also support multiple paired aids but I have experience only with Oticon.

I use the Adapter with my More 1 aids (OPN and OPN S previously) and typically mute the hearing aid microphones or turn down the sound from the sound bar (Sonos connected by optical fiber passed through the TV Adapter as it has an optical output). If others wish to hear the TV, we turn up the volume of the sound bar as desired. It seems that the slight latency caused by the Adapter/hearing aid combo as compared to the direct sound from the sound bar causes the perceived sound quality for me to decrease when the two signals are mixed in the hearing aids. It is easier for me understand voices with the direct input to the aids from the Adapter with the aid microphones muted. That also reduces the room noise from things like the AC fan which runs much of the time during the summer in Arizona (high of 111 F last Monday :slight_smile: ). My experience may not be relevant for other users but I expect many hearing aid users find a TV streamer to be a useful addition to their aids.

My TV doesn’t either, supposedly. In fact, the optical is always on regardless of what output is selected. It pays to check regardless of what the manual and tv settings may say.

I’ve been a bit stupid about it and simply refused to pay the ridiculous prices. From a quality of life perspective it would have been worth it a couple of years ago. Now my aids are approaching end of life I’m not going to handcuff myself to one brand by getting a proprietary streamer. Bring on LE Audio.

I introduced this question. . . I’ll just comment that I wear Bose Hearphones and am able to connect via Bluetooth with my Sony Bravia TV–no soundbar. I seldom watch with another person; if I did, I’d just use the standard audio.

Thanks, no problem - I appreciate having your vote of confidence for sellers with 100% reviews. I’m looking at a US seller with an eBay store, so he sells a lot of hearing aids and accessories.

Thanks to you and others who were encouraging I FINALLY bought a TV Streamer from the eBay seller with 100% positive reviews. I’m loving this replacement for TV Ears that were cumbersome - and about to run out of battery. Thanks, all!

1 Like

My reply went to the end of the discussion, but I had originally directed it to you for encouraging me. Thank you!

1 Like

You are very welcome @emjay_flowers… I am glad you got sorted :smile: