Which hearing aid should I choose for my hearing loss?

Hello everyone, I’m testing different hearing aids and my biggest problem is understanding speech. He works as a basketball coach and hearing in the sports hall is a problem. Generally, high tones are too loud for me, and whispers or quiet sounds are a problem.
At this point, the best, although not perfect, options are Widex Moment 330 and possibly Phonak Lumity 90.
What I care most about is understanding speech in various environments, such as a sports hall, restaurant, office, etc.
I wonder if custom molds vs domains has fixed the problem.
Thank you

1 Like

Yes custom tips will give you a better result & I have been able to hear better than those with “normal” hearing in noisy environments with Widex Moment 440’s in custom fit. My hearing is bilateral, starts at around 50, down to 80 & back to 60 apx. Information attached on sound class availability for different specification levels.

also I don’t mention I have otosclerosis on both ears

Your audiogram has me confused. The bone conductance is odd to me.
Ok, I just saw your last post.

Thanks

The pros might be a better choice to assist you on that hearing loss.
@Neville @Um_bongo

There’s quite a bit of an issue with LF conductivity.

It’s a little atypical for Otosclerosus. Have you had that confirmed by an ENT? Looks more like Tympanosclerosis or otherwise fixated eardrums.

3 Likes

yes confirmed. I had a procedure in hospital that failed when the prosthesis was installed

Custom tips should help.

It is very important that your clinician input your bone lines into the fitting software.

3 Likes

So what exactly should I require or provide in exchange for information? Testing RIC Widex moment 330.

Sorry, I don’t understand that question.

You don’t do anything, @Neville meant that your professional needs to ensure the (conductive portion of your) Low Frequency fitting needs to be taken into account in order that the prescription doesn’t sound tinny to you.

5 Likes

I mean, what exactly should I expect from the person who sets it up?
No matter what hearing aids is tested, there is a problem with hearing speech in various situations - a sports hall, a restaurant, even when it is quiet.
Even though I turn hearing aids up to almost max volume I have struggle to hear people…

Ah. So, yes I would encourage you to ask for custom tips. And then maybe say, “When you input my hearing test into the software, do you include my bone conduction scores?” Chances are they will say, “Yes, of course!” and possibly give you a weird expression as if you are asking them about a very basic and obvious step in their job. However, if they say, “No” you could say, “Can we give that a try?”

Including the conductive component when there is a true conductive hearing loss significantly impacts the prescribed gain. It SHOULD be standard practice. However, I have been regularly surprised recently at how often I have seen this overlooked.

6 Likes

Huge thank You. I Will try. So he need to set normal set up and sound one with bone conduction scores right ?

Lumity’s stereozoom feature (looking at who you’re listening to) and general speech in noise performance was the best I’ve ever heard, versus what I get from Moments. Closed custom molds or closed domes will help both.

1 Like

Now i got moment 440 for testing. I got included my bone conduction scores. I waiting for my custom molds but I’m concerned… I hearing worse than with moment 330. I got Phonak and wasn’t but with closed domes but I have problem with hearing quiet speech or whisper… I’m waiting to see what happens with custom mold and moment 440.

1 Like

If you have new custom moulds for the aids the sensogram & feedback calibration needs to be run again. Otherwise the prescription is affected for the new fit type. I ask for this if it’s not done & the dispenser should be happy to support this. Without it your hearing can feel out of kilter/muffled or not clear as it is carrying the settings that were correct for the previous fit type.

440 or 330 should be the same sounding, all but manginally different. I expect the setup you have experienced in each is in their setups. A final setup would be fully optimized by the your HCA.

Keep in mind also that condition:

Upward Spread of Masking | Common Hearing Aid Programming Mistakes - YouTube