When to boost default gain

Phonak Lumity 90 user here.

Here is a situation that’s happened a couple of times. I hear fine around the house; i.e. TV, radio, police scanner etc etc. Using the DecibelX app on my phone, my home at it’s quietest is 49 db average.

I’ve gone into two small retail stores, both seemed quiet yet I had a difficult time picking up the check out clerks voice. Both times after completing my purchase and before leaving the store, I checked the Phonak app. Both times the HAs were in Calm Situation. I took readings with DecibelX, both times 60 db average.

I am trying to get my HAs to handle most situations without my having to bump the HA volume button or pull out my phone and make adjustments. Sometimes it’s just ackward to do so.

Yes I could create my own program to handle situations like this but to repeat, I am trying to get my HAs to operate with minimal manipulation from me.

How many of you find that you need to increase your gains exceeding the Target Gain?

Sidebar question: It would be nice to know what conditions must exist for Phonak HAs to exit Calm Situation. I am thinking it might be 70db but that seems to be a guarded secret. I submitted a question to Phonak support via the app and they told me to consult an audiologist. I found an article at audiologyonline.com that states: For Speech in Loud Noise Activation the hearing aids must detect speech in noise 80% of the time with a noise floor of 67 db SPL.

I couldn’t find anything for Calm Situation ==> Comfort in Noise or Calm Situation ==> Speech in Noise.

Thank You