What was the most surprising sounds with hearing aids?

Toilet flushing
And traffic

7 Likes

When I walked out of my audiologist’s office for the first time with my new, first time hearing aids (in a very large, busy hospital complex) I could clearly hear people in conversation as I walked by. It surprised me. I was not used to hearing that kind of thing.

6 Likes

My squeaky office chair! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Birds. Prior to getting my aids, I wasn’t able to differentiate the sound of multiple birds tweeting at the same time. It would appear as one sound. Now, they are coming from all different directions and in tones I never knew existed.

5 Likes

Hearing the clock ticking in the audiologists office. I knew clocks could tick, I just didn’t know what it sounded like. It still surprises me sometimes when I’m in a doctors office and the clock is just ticking away or the vent fan is on.

5 Likes

The hum of the refrigerator! I never knew it made a sound!

5 Likes

I put the aids on an hit the open high E string on a guitar and got a lump in my throat I have forgotten how bright it actually was!

9 Likes

For me it was walking out to my car with new HA’s and hearing sand or gravel under my shoes. Then when I started the car the seat belt beeper went off and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Best of all is I could hear crickets again.

8 Likes

First day: Paper pages being turned in charts at work. And cutlery clinking. The page turning nearly drove me crazy as I could not understand why people were turning pages so often. Soon became used to it though.

5 Likes

I’m quite glad I don’t have to hear crickets😂 those are quite annoying like bugs!

4 Likes

Turbo whine. Old VW Jetta turbo diesel.

I pulled over because I thought it was a fire truck!

DaveL
Toronto

9 Likes

I live a a forest with all types of critters and I love to hear them all.

8 Likes

My husband talking to me from another room.
Even he was shocked when he asked me a question and I answered him from another room.
I cried !!

10 Likes

@Laura_B

I’m truly impressed! I’m often in trouble because I don’t respond to a question I haven’t heard!

DaveL
Toronto

4 Likes

Oh lawd don’t remind me of crickets that happened to me when I got my Ks10 I was laying in bed one night with our bedroom window open during the summer . Sat going what heck is that Noise?? it was a obnoxiously loud cricket chirping noise right under the window. My husband went that dang thing has been driving me Nuts for weeks. I’ve been complaining about it but I was clueless till I got the KS10s to replace previous hearing aids.

8 Likes

Cymbals!

and “One Stormy Night” by Mystic Moods Orchestra

careful! There are crickets too!

(First heard this album after a long, very wet and horrible motorcycle ride. Listened to it and the world was right again. Steam Engines with a crack of lightening during a thunder storm. Oh my! I put it on when the world’s not right…and it is. Hearing that lightening again after years without, I cried with joy with my hearing aids.)

5 Likes

The day after I got my hearing aids I was absolutely shocked at how loud birds are. I just was flabbergasted at how piercingly loud they are.

At this point, nearly a year into hearing aids, they are just ‘birds be birds’ but those first few weeks with hearing aids bird calls were shocking.

10 Likes

Most aggravating problem: trying to locate which smoke detector is chirping[quote=“Mermaid88, post:1, topic:76156, full:true”]
Just curious, what are the most surprising, favorite, worst or just shocking sounds you discovered when getting hearing aids? I was shocked when I discovered that my own footsteps made noise, I thought someone was following me at first😂.
[/quote]

4 Likes

i was sitting on front porch of my home in florida and couldn’t figure out what the rustling noise was that I was hearing… it was from the palm tree fronds in my front yard… it was actually a WOW moment knowing I had been living here about 10 yrs and never heard them before

12 Likes

Me too! Not that I hadn’t heard the car turn signals at all, but that the clicking was so clear and loud. It was startling driving home.

4 Likes