What is the expected battery lifetime of Phonak Roger Select?

My simplified “grasp” of this matter is that Lithium ion batteries of assorted chemistries will likely last the longest if kept between 50-80% charge. However, what if the manufacturer has already set it to top out at 80% charge, knowing it will last longer? I think Tesla has a couple of different charge levels–one for day to day to use and one for max range. It’s nice to be able to use the full battery capacity if one needs it, but it does make sense to prolong the life of the battery if it can be made simple.

2 Likes

On the lifespan of Li-ion (and/or Li-polymer batteries) in Phonak Roger Select or any other such HA device, as I’ve previously mentioned, Apple seems to be one of the big companies most on the ball about TLC in charging and advising and caring for their customers to get the maximum usable lifespan out of (expensive!) Apple devices.

I happen to notice in upgrading my wife’s 2015 iPhone 6S to iOS 14.2 that if one goes to Settings, Battery, Battery Health, that down at the bottom of the Battery Health page there is a section and option that you can check on or not entitled “Optimized Battery Charging.” The feature came along with iOS 13 - but I never noticed 'til now in just starting to use an iPhone as an “iPod.”

From the Apple web page on optimized charging, here’s what it says

With iOS 13 and later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your iPhone uses on-device machine learning to learn your daily charging routine so that Optimized Battery Charging activates only when your iPhone predicts it will be connected to a charger for an extended period of time. The algorithm aims to ensure that your iPhone is still fully charged when unplugged.

Basically what this means is akin to the following. It only takes a few hours to fully charge your phone (even less if you use more recent USB-C Power Delivery options or similar for wireless charging). But why go to bed, say to sleep 10 hours, have the phone charge fully in 1 or 2 hours, and spend the rest of the night at 100% charge, being depleted slightly as it idles during the night, recharged continually around 100%, wearing out the battery through unnecessary constant mini-charge loops near 100%. Not good for Li-ion/-polymer batteries.

The following How to Geek article goes into detail relative to what’s at stake with charging Li-ion/-polymer batteries: https://www.howtogeek.com/423451/how-ios-13-will-protect-your-iphones-battery-by-charging-to-80/

From the article, here’s how Apple tries to extend your iOS device battery lifespan with Optimized Battery Charging:

In iOS 13, a new charging algorithm will keep your iPhone at 80% when charging overnight. That algorithm will determine when you typically wake up and start the day, and restart the charging sequence to give you a fully charged battery when you wake up.

Maybe someday makers of rechargeable HA devices and accessories will put some of the same smarts into their overnight charging schemes - or even if you want, allow you to set your own upper limit no matter what your schedule, i.e., specify that you just don’t need to charge over 80% - allowing you to go with your particular needs and desires rather than what the OEM figures the average gal/guy wants, no matter what.

I have used roger products for about 5 years, I am on my second table mic (though the first one still works), I have a roger pen and got a roger select 2 years ago.

Don’t do what I did…

My select has been in its cradle attached to my TV and continuously charging since I retired 18 months ago, and today the battery died.

It is like a bereavement.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of battery I need, and where I could get it changed? It is out of warranty.

Thank you!

Shari

Phonak can replace the battery, for a big fee, but-----

If you are only using it for the TV then just get a TV connect, better and cheaper.

Don’t older aids have similar device, under different name, tv link or something like that? :thinking:

Leaving a Li-ion battery continuously charging near 100% charge is not good for the long-term lifespan of the Li-ion battery. In the future, it would be better to pick a partial charge range with the average state of charge somewhere around 50%, say 30% to 70%. I’ve made numerous posts on the forum about this (including quite a few earlier in this thread!). It’s often not very practical since owners usually find it easiest just to charge their devices to 100%, use the charge until the battery is very run-down before recharging again and OEM’s love selling you new devices. Some manufacturers like Apple are very conscientious about helping the user get maximum battery lifespan and have excellent battery care advice on their support websites. Hopefully someday even devices like cell phones and hearing aids and their accessories will have the battery management smarts they put into electric vehicles, where a single battery can cost around $20,000. (price coming down and energy density, vehicle range going up - GM just in the news about this). About battery health management in Mac notebooks and earlier in this thread: What is the expected battery lifetime of Phonak Roger Select?

Just to point out, this select didn’t go to 0%, but was always fluctuating around 100% since it never left the cradle.

Best way to prolong lithium battery is charge it b/w 40 to 80 percent . It will double or triple the charge cycles

2 Likes

@sharibull

This is my worry as I’ve just got the Select and when I watch TV, it’s also charging.

I’m SO impressed with the Roger Select over the Pen in terms of putting it in the middle of the table.

Miles ahead of the Pen.

So glad I found a brand new Select on FB marketplace.

4 Likes

Pen and Select are different and used in different ways. But agree that Select is more advanced. The Table Mic is even more advanced and more powerful.

Have you had an opportunity to try the Roger ON in table mode? I wonder how it compares to the select.

@6407e298f4620849dae6

I have. I don’t know why but the Select sounds better for me in terms of also not picking up excess background noise.

I’ve been trying to find out how many Microphones the On uses in table mode to see why it sounds different to the Select.

Google is not giving me the answers so far.

I think the Roger Select has 3 (not 6 as indicated by @MDB ) microphones, while the Roger on has got 4.

Any chances of link where one can a cheap Select and what price we would expect to pay?

1 Like

Good to know. I rarely use pointing mode so maybe the Select is a better choice. Is Distant speaker mode with a lanyard on par with the On and Pen? Thanks

@6407e298f4620849dae6

The pointing mode is loads better with the On. The Pen is still good but the On is better.

The only thing that fails with the Pen is table mode / laying it flat. That’s awful.

@Baltazard

Thanks for letting me know that the On has 4 microphones.

I got my Select off Facebook Marketplace.

There are three mics in a row and then one offset so the software can do beam forming. The three in a row optimize for point mode. Image clipped out of soft user guide.

WH

1 Like

Did you adjust the settings for the Select in Target to achieve the good result?

I may end up getting both On and Select iN with no licenses installed since I already have them from the Pen iN. Not convenient to have to carry two devices tho.

The Select has 3 microphones. See link https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonakpro/gc_hq/en/products_solutions/wireless_accessories/roger_select/documents/datasheet_roger_select.pdf

Roger On has 4 microphones. From all the accounts I’ve heard, the On is the more advanced device.

2 Likes

Sorry @Zebras I think @MDB is right, the select has got 3 microphones:

My bad :no_mouth: