What is a Phonak Nathos? (UK NHS range)

I assume the Phonak Nathos range is a “made for NHS” but all I can find out about them is there is a CRT, a Micro, an M, an SP and a UP and they are supposed to be ordered by the NHS as a direct replacement for the Naida (in SP and UP varieties) in order to save money (there is a poster about it on the audiology site telling you to save this money). I’m guessing there must be something removed in order to save the money, but maybe not, maybe it’s just bulk-ordering.

There are no pictures on the catalogue site of any of these instruments and no spec for them so you could know what they are. I am most interested in the Micro or the M, assuming the bodies match up to the rest of the Phonak range Micro and M products, but wanting to find out what features are in and what are out of this NHS model. It’s a dearth of information out there about NHS models. Oh, and they also come in models stating they are “wireless” - wireless what?

If they can get me this hearing aid for £89 per side (published on their website) then I’m not going to be giving up till I get rid of this inappropriate Siemens that makes a loud buzzing noise for much of the day. (No, it’s not the T switch, it’s not interference, it’s an unknown error that has affected every one of 8 different serial numbers of this same model and nobody knows why)

1 Like

Hi Rose, Nathos spec as follows!

Cheers, Kev:D

Features and Benefits

CORE - Communication Optimised Real Audio Engine

The most sophisticated audio-processing platform ever introduced in the hearing industry and is at the heart of each product in the Nathos range:
Highest capacity: CORE is a 3-chip hybrid with 6 processors and over 8 million transistors.

• Fastest: CORE can perform over 120 million operations per second.
  • Broadband Wireless: CORE supports fast, stable exchange of real-audio between instruments and accessories.
  • Incredibly small: At just 1.7mm x 5.6mm x 3.6mm, CORE is an amazingly powerful marvel of miniaturisation.

SoundRecover
Restoration of high-frequency hearing
SoundRecover, the innovative Phonak non-linear frequency compression algorithm breaks the high frequency barrier. SoundRecover compresses and shifts high frequencies which would otherwise be inaudible into an area of audible hearing. This broadens bandwidth for natural and feedback free reproduction of sound without being harsh or tinny.
Audibility across a broad range of frequencies is vital for optimum hearing and understanding. SoundRecover is very beneficial for people with a severe to profound hearing loss who have obvious challenges identifying and differentiating important, highfrequency spoken sounds such as the consonants /f/, /s/ and /sh/. Difficulties perceiving and distinguishing these sounds which are crucial for speech intelligibility are also common for people with mild to moderate hearing losses, so SoundRecover offers potential benefits for this population, as well.
With Nathos, you have a SoundRecover solution for everyone.
WhistleBlock
Feedback free hearing

The WhistleBlock Technology with Nathos benefits from the new feedback identification and tagging module. This additional step occurs just before feedback suppression is actually activated. It differentiates between naturally occurring feedback-like sounds and true feedback. To reliably identify true feedback means that a much more aggressive feedback cancellation strategy is applied. This means increased audibility and sound quality that is free from annoying feedback.

SoundFlow
Continuous and instant optimisation to all environments

The sound environments of life are varied and challenging. In real time, SoundFlow creates a unique program perfectly adapted to every new environment. The result is a seamless transition between hearing situations, with optimum clarity and comfort, no matter what the environment.
WindBlock Management
Suppresses wind noise to enjoy the great outdoors
WindBlock Management utilises a newly engineered wind identification and classification system. The powerful, adaptive algorithm automatically suppresses wind noise. Teamed with a microphone shield, it allows wearers to enjoy the outdoors without compromise.
EchoBlock System
Understand well in reverberant environments

Reverberation acts as a form of connecting noise affecting a persons ability to hear effectively in many indoor environments. EchoBlock detects and suppresses reverberation to improve hearing ability in such places.

NoiseBlock Processing
Premium comfort in situations with background noise
NoiseBlock Processing detects and suppresses competing steady state noise in 16 independent channels to optimise ease of listening whilst maintaining audibility.

Real Ear Sound
Natural sound orientation

When microphones are placed outside the pinna, natural front/back localisation cues can be lost. Real Ear Sound, simulates the performance characteristics of the pinna. The result is restored localisation and the ability to experience natural sound perception.

1 Like

Huge thank you, hurrah, where di d you get that from? Do you know if the Soundrecover is built in the whole range, not just the Naida replacements? I’m interested in a Micro or an M and my mum is interested in the CRT and we are hoping Soundrecover is in all models.

And do you know what is or is not “wireless” about them, as the catalogue specifies you have to order them wireless or standard, and I’m not sure what you miss out on if you go with standard.

Thanks.

Hi Rose, here is an image of the Nathos range… Don’t ask lol:D

LOL what is the one thing that is shown as being present on the M that is not on the Micro? I assume it’s a volume wheel, but that is the one bit that isn’t quite clear enough for me to read, looks like Waterfleischstamft from here.

Hi Rose, I think it says “water resistant”, but it is not too clear on the original PDF!

Another Nathos question! Is the M model the same body as the SP? I noticed when looking at audioshoes that the Nathos M fits the same audioshoe as the Naida SP rather than the one for the Exelia/Versata/Certena M range, is it the same size? Would be great if it fitted the SP Secure n Stay - just need to find somewhere I can get one, but still working on that! :smiley:

hello forum,

i’m new here, i have just been fitted with the Nathos SP, it has not been tweaked yet to my exact hearing loss as i don’t get a further recent hearing teast until next month, it has to be said i love it and it is impressive running on just a basic programming for now.

i had before that the Siemens and can say since wearing an aid since 8 years old, ( perforated ear drum, left ear) and right ear going downhill fast!) was the biggest piece of crap i have ever had to use! it kept cutting out on me and sometimes just quit working for hours at a time, I told the audiology unit they where lucky they got it back in one piece! it is frustrating and stressful when you can’t hear properly!

Before the Siemens i had a GSN RESOUND and loved it! but unfortunately the ear hook part on it kept splitting when you attached it to the hearing aid body.

From what i read you can purchase ‘shoe’s’ for the Nathos? this gives it wireless capabilities such as bluetooth??? can someone on here let me know?

As far as i know, the audiologist told me today the NATHOS SP is a piece of engineering technology that is worth £2000? i’m presuming the company will have the same aid but probably under a different model outwith the NHS?

Thank you to this forum xxx

i failed to mention and just noticed on the Nathos SP aid i have that it also has a W on it so i’m presuming it has wireless capabilities???

Hi I have the same Nathos SP W and would like to know if this means its the Nathos SP Wireless :confused:

goggle is your friend…

The Nathos SP and UP are equivalent to Naida V SP and UP with addition of echo-block. The Nathos M is equivalent to a Phonak Versata with addition of echoblock but constructed in a Naida SP casing, and a Nathos Micro is a Versata/Nios Micro with echoblock, Nathos CRT is the Audeo V, not sure if it’s equivalent to the YES or the Smart, though, but that’s an aside for you as that’s a teen/adult hearing aid anyway.

There are two slightly different versions of each, the Nathos and Nathos wireless. With just one hearing aid the wireless features are less important as it’s mostly about communication between ears, but it also makes it compatible with some Phonak accessories like the iCom where the standard version is not.

Thanks Mick Shu I Have the Nathos “SP W” marking on the bottom of my HA’s so it’s probably safe to assume the W means wireless. I cant seem to find anything on the net that can confirm this. They are from the NHS so the W may have something to do with linking them to the NHS I was wondering.

if you have 2 aids and when you press the button to change programs/volume does both side change?

Yes they both change. so that means the W stands for wireless doesn’t it :rolleyes: :smiley:

Does it really matter what model it is?

The NHS staff will do what they like : they certainly won’t let an end-user select model, colour, case etc.

And do you really expect any wireless support from NHS staff?

The NHS is financially strapped and can only allow a few minutes per end-user.

That’s why the private sector in the UK survives … we CAN provide any model or option you want, and we can also spend HOURS with you to get the system to work as well as we can make it,

Does it really matter what model it is?

Yes I like to know

And do you really expect any wireless support from NHS staff?

Yes If I ask them they will support

The NHS is financially strapped and can only allow a few minutes per end-user.

30 to 60 minutes each appointment, but I do get sick of going back time and time again.
It’s difficult for both customer and audiologist to get the aids how the customer likes to hear.

I have never had a satisfactory result from the subscribed settings, I just haven’t got the time or patience to keep going back.

Although I am less than satisfied I am very pleased that we have the NHS as every one has top end HA’s in the UK not just the rich.

1 Like

I’m confused : so you are happy with the NHS although the aids they have provided are unsatisfactory?

why didn’t you simply ask your AD what you had? (or use google)
if you are too lazy to go back and get them adjusted correctly, why does it matter?
you think the NHS is great for giving everyone HAs but you don’t like or know what you have?
they already seem to be communicating so unless you buy a remote…

Yes the aids are high end, but the tuning service is very difficult for both me trying to explain to the audiologist how I’m hearing the sound and for the audiologist trying to tune them on what I’m trying to explain.

So we end up with a few adjustments that I have to establish whether or not have made the difference when sat in a sound proof room.

I get the answer as soon as I get out side after my appointment.

I for one would not be able to afford the high cost of private care even throw I have worked all my life in full time employment.

I’m able to get by with my HA’s but I know that they could be better if I had the time to keep going back, but as I say I work full time as a HGV Artic driver and am away allot.

I would love to tune them myself if I had the tools.

Sound Junkie.

I`ve had similar problems with the NHS. They often do not have enough time to do a proper job. The soundproof room is not the real world, and getting another appointment can be weeks away.

There also comes a time when they feel they cannot do any more for you. This is why I now adjust my own. It’s not a simple task, and can take longer than the audiologist. But you have the advantage of the real word situation.

So you must take notes about your hearing, and if necessary write and tell them you need a longer time for adjustment.
Please remember, there is nothing worse than an angry audiologist……

2 Likes