What acoustic guitar sounds like through Signia's new IX hearing aids

3 Likes

Without my hearing and and using my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones, I can barely tell the difference between ON and OFF.
When I put my Luminity aids on I can tell a significant difference .
So to someone with my hearing loss and no hearing aids, this video would be of very little value … and probably DISCOURAGE them from even trying hearing aids.

If I did not have HA’s I sure would not spend $4 to $6, if that is all they would do for me !

I notice a significant difference, but I’m hearing them not only through Signia but also through the Philips HearLink 9040 which I’m currently wearing. Hmmm.:thinking:

I think that means that your 9040 are doing a good job, same as my L90’s :slight_smile:

Try it with out your aids and a good set of headphones .

1 Like

Based on the audiogram you’ve shared, I would not expect you to hear much difference between the two scenarios… As Steve said in the video, the demonstration only works for mild to moderate loss.

2 Likes

Dust in the Wind…

Go Steve!

2 Likes

OK, weighing in here with my Lumity Life aids ON and IN, and BT streaming to my laptop, there is a very distinct difference to the NO HA vs HA ON throughout the video.

I prefer the audio quality with NO HA to HA ON. When the toggle shows Signia HA ON, the guitar is exceedingly twangy, sharp and almost annoyingly narrow frequency to listen to. Like a steel string guitar that’s strung too TIGHT.

With NO HA, I find the guitar sounds soothing, mellow, rich and very pleasant, albeit muted and it lacks crisp finish to each pluck. If I jack up the volume just a notch or two on my laptop it’s not bad, but yes, it’s a bit muddied. Even so, to me, NO HA is preferable to that hard, metallic twang of HA ON even with its additional nuances of guitar string.

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts! To me, there is a huge difference through regular not great speakers with my normal ears, like completely different instruments/strings, but ON is not the version I like.

So nice to see this kind of video. I was trying to describe my cello with and without aid and now I can reference this (tone wise) except in the opposite direction, which makes sense since I have opposite problem.

1 Like

I’ve suffered with bad setup for 2 years. My HA’s are Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s.
The one unknown in all these comments is “How well are the hearing aids setup?”

My audiologist supplied them; he didn’t know how to set them up. That went on for 2 years in spite of feedback from me.

I taught at a Community College. I explained to students that they should have the knowledge to get reproduceable results when they did experiments. They should also have the skills to provide good reports. Reading through the forum I believe that the audiologist or practitioner is the most important factor using hearing aids.

What I have experienced is that two of my audiologists did not have the skill to do setup over a 10 year period. That’s a fatal flaw.

DaveL

YEEESH. I thought your current audi was a big step forward and you were enjoying the Lumity Life aids?

But to your point: FATAL FLAW when these very necessary devices simply aren’t working at optimal level for us. You have my empathy.

1 Like

The audiologist who supplied them asked me to find someone that could help me better than he could. He took my hearing aids and his defective audiogram and did a Target setup as I watched. He erased all the programs we had worked on in two years.
I found a wonderful practitioner. He took the audiogram and input the values on his computer. He set up my hearing aids (Paradise P90R’s) using the latest Target setup too I asked him what he found wrong. He said:

• the old audi specified open domes; mine are closed domes
  • the old audi did not have the left hearing aid talking to the right hearing aid (My terms; don’t remember exactly what he said.)

I went home and my wife said:

• Night and Day Difference; you can hear
  • What took me so long to get results.
  • I needed to take responsibility because for 2 years she had told me that the old audi didn’t know what he was doing.

Tomorrow the new practitioner is doing a full hearing test including REM for setup.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

I listened to the clip with and without my hearing aids. In both cases, it just showcases how hearing aids kill the nice, mellow, and warm tone of a nylon-string guitar.

I appreciate videos like this, @AbramBaileyAuD . However, for us folks that strugle with the sound of our instruments, I would very much appreciate an A/B comparison between the stock setup versus the optimized setup for music as well. Then we could compare the “A game” of all these hearing aids…

1 Like

BEWARE of recommended REM settings!!! They are only a starting point (if even!) as to how you want your world to sound. I get aids set up with REM every time I buy a new pair. They sound HORRIFIC. I am now resigned to the follow-on app’t to completely re-set all the frequency settings to give me the world as I want to hear it.

You just have to articulate what you like and don’t like about sound coming in.

Geez, you had a rough 2 years. It’s sad that the people closest to us (significant others, family, co-workers) are the ones who actually KNOW what we’re missing. Augh.

1 Like

The old audiologist who dispensed the HA’s always was pleasant and polite. He always had an explanation for my questions–hindsight–they were excuses because he didn’t know what he was doing.

About 2 weeks before we parted he kindly setup my 10 year old phonaks as backups. I called him and thanked him. And I said I wished that my 2 year old Phonak Paradise P90’s he dispensed sounded as good. Last appointment he said he had anxiety attacks.

If he had the latest version of Target he could have done a quick setup 2 years ago and I would have been able to hear.

My real concern is that the current audiogram used by both shows my hearing has improved about 10 dB. That’s a miracle! In over 20 years of tests my hearing has never improved. I’m really looking forward to seeing what the new audiogram will be.

I apologize for leading this off track.

Perhaps it’s not…listening to music with hearing aids requires better setup. Perhaps my example will help others become better advocates to improve their hearing by demanding better setups. Will AI improve the way our hearing aids are setup for listening and music?

It’s time for me to tune my ukulele and see how it sounds now using my hearing aids with the better setup.

GIMMEE. Want that kinda miracle. But maybe your old audi had defective Target sw and system to take the audiogram?

In that case, consider the NEW audiogram (with it’s 10% improvement) as the new benchmark and go from there.

1 Like

The old audiologist had a 10% improvement in my hearing in the last audiogram he shared. The new HA practitioner used the same audiogram as a starting point.

There’s another choice he may have made in error. What system did he use to setup my hearing aids?

I would really like to have the skill and equpment to set up my own Phonaks. But I have an iMac and no computer skills. Target is based on PC’s.

AUGH! I’d start ALLLLLL over with a whole NEW audiogram and speech comprehension test. Clean slate.

If your NEW guy used that OLD audiogram, that could be garbage!

Get a clean start. The new audi seems to know how to set things up. Not everyone can (or should!) be a DIYer. I leave my aid tuning to my audi. That’s her job! If I lived in a remote location (as I did for 17 yrs till moving here), I’d be more incentivized to tweak my aids on my own.

1 Like

That’s why I asked for new hearing test and setup.

I have a workman’s comp award due to exposure to loud noise at work. I’m very grateful that the new practitioner took me on. I’ve checked. WC will pay for this setup.

1 Like

for a couple hundred you can get a used PC and a Noahlink for less than $100 … probably less than than a appointment with the AUD.

1 Like

Appreciate it. Good advice.

1 Like