Using Citi card at Costco

I understand that you get 2% back through your annual executive member reward, but I’ve also heard that there is some benefit to using the citi card to purchase hearing aids at costco (additional 2% back? or extended warranty?). Is any of this true?

I get new aids at the end of warranty because my insurance covers new aids every 3 years. Before I had insurance, I needed a rebuild of my aids in the 4th year. I went to a different Costco, and they didn’t offer a 4th year warranty, and I forgot to ask for it.

I get the1% extra cash back, for a total of 2%, when I buy aids.

It’s pretty easy to find answers to you question with a simple Google search.

Yes, on the 2%, No on the extended warranty. They do give you a 120 day damage and theft protection for all states except New York which is 90 days. So if the dog chews on your hearing aids, you are covered.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-costco-anywhere-visa-credit-card

No need to get snarky. I did search the 2% but wanted to confirm it specifically in relation to hearing aids as they are not always treated like a normal product from the warehouse. (Also curious is the 2% calculated on the full price twice, once for rewards and once for citi card?).

Also, I see nothing about the extended warranty on that page… I don’t want to assume anything just because it isn’t mentioned there. I found this page, but last post was a while ago so wanted to make sure nothing has changed.

2 Likes

The extended warranty is no more. You get 2% on the full purchase price of the hearing aids and accessories (and any other Costco purchases except gas) Gasoline gets 4%. These rewards or whatever you want to call them are distributed once a year (February I think) You get a certificate with the amount that you can either spend at Costco or have them give you cash. IF you pay an extra ($65 I think) you can get an Executive membership that pays an extra 2% (worthwhile if you’re spending a little over $3000 a year at Costco. (And no, you don’t get the 2% twice) Edit: Clarification: The initial 2% I mentioned is for the credit card. If you pay extra for the Executive membership you get an extra 2%.

1 Like

I don’t see that in the terms and conditions. Do you know that for sure?

https://www.costco.com/executive-rewards.html

Since we are discussing both the credit card and the executive membership, I would appreciate if you could be really specific in your post about which you are referring to where. I’m confused about how to interpret the “extra 2%” (my understanding was ONLY executive members get the annual reward voucher, but I also wasn’t sure if you were referring to the credit card in your first statement).

Attaching a link that will hopefully help. There are two kinds of membership: Gold ($65 a year) and Executive ($130 per year). https://www.costco.com/join-costco.html?EXTID=MBR_PS_FY25_Brand-Google_costcomemberships_Add3_V1_txt_10.1.24&EXTID=MBR_PS_FY25_Brand__Add3_V1_txt_10.23.23&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1NK4BhAwEiwAVUHPUG559NBFMtIn11t9H1533VJJin0aVmvT8PS9ZZkT3du5eou_exEHdBoCwMkQAvD_BwE
The Gold pays 2%. To the best of my knowledge the Executive pays the 2% from the Gold plus an extra 2%) That’s not what it looks like in the link and I only have the Gold membership (it definitely pays 2%) and I don’t know why somebody would pay extra for the Executive if it didn’t pay an extra 2%.

1 Like

I know that with the credit card and a Gold Star Membership ($65 a year) I get the 2% back in February. If you pay extra for the Executive membership, you get an extra 2% back.

1 Like

OK, my guess is that the gold star membership has nothing to do with it and the first 2% you’re talking about is only related to the Citi card. My understanding is gold star member gets no percent back.

I don’t know since I have the credit card, but my take is that Gold Star members get 2% back on Costco purchases, but Citi card holders get 4% back on gas purchases (any gas purchases, not just Costco) and 1% on all other non Costco purchases. Edit. Gold card gets no percent back. I missed the Red X on their info.

1 Like

I was an executive member for years and told Gold had no annual reward - and this is what Costco’s online docs state as well. So, I think you’re 2% is all coming from having your Citi card.

1 Like

Ah, you’re right. I just saw the red X by the 2% on the Gold card info. Sorry for the confusion. So credit card gets 2% and Executive card also gets 2%.

1 Like

Citi extended warranty program ended but one could use another VISA in the US that offers extended warranty. Some Chase cards would be an example.

The Citi 2% is separate and in addition to the Executive member 2%.

I wonder why Costco doesn’t offer an extended warranty option as with larger electronics. Perhaps it’s less profitable for hearing aids.

So your answer is you get both the Citi 2% and the Executive membership 2%. If so, then that’s the way it looks to me too.

Hi Abram,
When I bought my Jabra Enhance Pro 10s in January, 2023, on my Costco Citi card I got in just under the wire before Citi did away with the extended 2-year warranty effective late January of that year. We’ll see if my extended warranty is honored at such time as I may need to use it. I can envision keeping those HAs as back-ups.