USB Hi-Pro knockoffs

to do this a serial to usb converter is what i would need right.

thanks for your patients here. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Norm

you don’t have to open the case…just plug one of those USB to serial convertors and you have it. Of course to get past the USB you will need drivers, but most of the connectors should have a universal driver from the windows system that works. Just read the fine print on each of the descriptions Some features may say “No IRQs need” or “Since the adapter uses no IRQs, it is perfect if you need many serial devices attached to your PC”

Read the features on the specs here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101118&cm_re=serial_to_usb_adapter--12-101-118--Product

Model
Brand BYTECC
Model BT-DB925
Spec
Type Serial (COM)
Length 6 FT
Color Silver
Connector Number 2
Features
Features USB to Serial Interface RS232 Cable for PC & Mac
The adapter is designed for connections to Cellular phone, PDA, digital cameras, modems, or ISDN terminal adapters through your USB port with over 1Mbps data transfer rate. Since the adapter uses no IRQs, it is perfect if you need many serial devices attached to your PC

In short, you want the device to be “plug N play” compatible…

Try Fry’s electronics…

I see you’re from NY, there is a Fry’s electronics near you…

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=usb+to+serial&cat=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Like Texas, NY is rather large :slight_smile:
NYC is 6 hrs south of here.
Great info non the less.
I think the thing I have to watch for is buying a cable that is geared for usb 1.1. I sometimes get a message saying you could go faster if you connected this device to a 2.2? jack.

Norm

So your system is new enough not to have a serial port, but old enough not to have USB 2.0?? all that will happen is that your connection will run slower. If the minimu requirements for the haering aid software is USB 1.1, then you are good to go…otherwise you can buy an adapter to give you USB 2.0 speeds. Problem is, you have to know what you are doing in opening your case and also have a free PCI slot.

Long story, use to have a 2.0 usb multi outlet on system. Did not come back when the computer went out for repair work.

Seems like all i have to do is buy the used serial HiPro now.

Adding 2.0 USB ports is not expensive. Here’s alink. Of course you have to know whether you PC has an available PCI slot. On older PCs all slots are not PCI ya know.

Adding 2.0 USB ports is not expensive. Here’s alink. Of course you have to know whether you PC has an available PCI slot. On older PCs all slots are not PCI ya know.

Long story, use to have a 2.0 usb multi outlet on system. Did not come back when the computer went out for repair work.

Thanks for the excellent link.
System use to have 2.0 multi USB as per my thoughts above.
May have one again soon.

Norm

Is there a way to know whya spped/type of USB connection my computer has. Can this be determined in device Manager?
Sometimes when using my digital cameras memory card with a USB card reader I get a message that says. this device can work faster with(the rest of what it says is cloudy right now…lol)a faster connection???

I know just enough to be dangerous.

Quote of the day!:):):slight_smile:

Try this…

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

If I read correctly I have the capability to be 2.0 USB?

Probably on one of your connectors. You will have to check each one to see which one…

It could be all of them…how old is your computer?? know the name of the motherboard or tower? What OS do you have??

In short, here are the requirements for the Phonak iPFG, for example:

https://www.phonakpro.com/com/b2b/en/professional_tools/fitting_equipment/software/system_requirements.html

If you can’t satisfy the minimum requirements, the USB being 1.1 or 2.0 will be moot. The older machines made back in the early 2000’s will be more than likely make the minimum processing speed, and the requirement of the USB did not specify version, but it won’t hurt to have 2.0.

Even RAM is important, minimum to run iPFG is 512 MB of RAM, plus what you need to run the machine…

Quote of the day!:):):slight_smile:

too kind:o:o:o

Custom made desk top about 3yrs old now. 2g ram on Windows xp sp3
Not positive how to tell the mother board brand/model.
Computer has plenty of power/speed

your system already looks like it has USB 2 in all ports…if you don’t, you need to update your drivers. In the device manager, look for exclamation marks, that’s usually an driver issue…

I have exactly the same problem. Please let me know if you find a solution - I will do the same. Meanwhile I am using the old computer.

I also have the Bluetooth-based Noahlink Programing unit with an Ezurio Bluetooth adapter. I was able to run it on one of our Vista computers but not on the the other one. So it seems that Noahlink is also a bit flaky on Vista.

I can see why Phonak finally decided to build its own programmer. HIMSA just isn’t up to the technical task.

To solve the same problem I bought a Serial card for my computer.
Works perfectly now.

good idea - cleaner more direct approach than a USB to serial (RS232C) adapter. Which card did you get?

(I should give it a try assuming my previous thrashing around hasn’t irretrievably mucked up drivers and our Vistas’ COM port management)