USB Hi-Pro knockoffs

doubt otometrics would discount its price

Oh, I agree with you xbulder. But if there is more than one source for the knockoffs (and there appears to be more than one source) then they may be willing to discount. A recent discount I observed on EBay for USB Hi-Pro knockoffs (total price) was from $651 to $578.

Though, I don’t expect further price discounts because it is in the best interests of the knockoffs to be a little below GN Otometrics, and therefore keeping as high of a profit margin as possible. I believe the vendor’s profit margin is a low profit. So that is why I don’t see this changing unless the current market conditions for this programming interface changes.

Has anyone tried the Hi-Pro USB / Serial on Windows 7 yet ?

Droo

Im surprise that the industry has not yet agree on a common wireless prog. interface
like the Icube or Nearcom that would work universally…

Noah wont even install on Windows 7, my friend who is an audi @ himsa
told me that they are working on a new version and that next year noah 4
should be out

Don’t be surprised. Do you think Phonak, Siemens, etc all got together and came up with the hipro? Bluetooth has been well thought out by scores of manufacturers and would be a shoe in. These guys will go out of their way to make the interface proprietary (QED).

USB is a fairly simple interface. If a driver is available for Win-7 then it should work. Ask the seller.

Fitting software is another issue. You have to look at the requirements of the fitting software. The newer OS (Vista/Win-7) come in 32-bit and 64-bit versions and not all software programs can handle 64-bit at the current time.

Oh, and you don’t need Noah. You can run the fitting software standalone.

Not answering your question about the USB Hi Pro and Windows 7 but I have a serial Hi Pro. I have not been able to get it to operate properly on 32 bit Vista. I have tried 3 different USB adapters with their drivers having no luck. One of these drivers stated it was Vista compatible. This serial Hi Pro does operate properly on my wife’s PC with XP.

I did read on the GN Otometrics site that the USB Hi Pro was designed for Vista/Windows 7. This could pertain to the 64 bit operating systems too, not sure.

The old serial Hi-Pro cost less than the newer USB Hi-Pro. Though, I would stay away from the old serial Hi-Pro because you give yourself hardware compatibility issues. See this post. It’s difficult enough without adding hardware issues to the mix.

Also, this has nothing to do with 32-bit versus 64-bit. The only issue there is whether the fitting software is written to run on a 64-bit system. For example NSFit from LoveHearing/NewSound would not run on a 64-bit system.

Far! Far! Far out of their way.

Thanks for the info.

Another forum member I have talked to has a serial Hi Pro and runs it on a modern laptop using XP. The Hi Pro is operated using a USB adapter with no issues. That is why I made mention of the Vista issue. I feel like there is an issue with Vista and maybe Windows 7 with the older serial Hi Pro’s.

If I had it to do over I would have bought the newer USB Hi Pro. I do not make a living with this Hi Pro, so not a big problem. It is working great for my purposes.

The picture (blue) does not depict a serial port correct?
Any thoughts on the second. Certainly does not look like a Serial port.

first connection is a video monitor SVGA jack. The second connection is a Firewire 1394 jack. Here is a common setup of a computer port: http://www.honors.ufl.edu/computing/images/ports.png

Thank you :slight_smile:

Not a problem…the serial port jack is where you want to plug the HiPro into…as it “talks” to the computer via modem…

In my case I will need a serial to USB adaptor, or pay the much higher price for the USB version of HiPro.

Unless I can find a loaner HiPro:D

So you do not have the serial port? Most newer computers don’t these days. Here’s a link:

Unless you have a local computer store that has cheap connections…

:)Received it in three days half the word apart!
Swell guy.
I preferred the original with a set of cs63 cables and flexstrips for the resound dot30

I’m not sure what you mean here.
Adding a serial port connection to my existing system?

Norm

Yes, via USB connection…