Upgrade from Phonak Naída V UP

Appreciate the suggest, however the Naida is a little too steep in pricing as both my father and I have agreed, so the Brio is what we’re crossing our fingers on.

If it were me and I were only 48, I’d want to know more about cochlear implants. I have no idea if they’d be appropriate for your loss or not as your word recognition is better than I would have guessed, but I always figure learning about possibilities can’t hurt.

Hi,

The bone conductor can only measure up to about 70dB before it hits its limit, around that point the response becomes vibrotactile anyway, so you can ‘feel’ it rather than hear it.

Essentially it means that the level of your hearing is too poor to for bone conduction measurements.

This doesn’t mean you can’t have a bit of a mixed loss, but it’s not possible to measure it with conventional audiometry

2 Likes

I believe the Naida P UP is set to come out this spring. I’d wait for it rather than going with the SP. How married are you to those power slim tubes rather than standard tubes?

1 Like

That good to know about the Naida P UP. When does Phonak normally release their model in a calendar year?

I really like the power slim tubes versus the standards. Lighter weight & then don’t show as much. Why? Do you think this is impacting the overall performance?

To add to Neville’s post, I remember running power slimtubes on the Naida UP aids. The gain from the UP aids was pretty much squashed by the power slimtubes. The SP aids did just as well with the power slimtubes or very close.

If your ear canals are large enough have you considered trying the RIC aids with UP receivers? Probably not enough gain but should be as much as the UP aids with power slimtubes. Just thinking out loud.

March-ish up here in Canada, often a bit earlier in the States.

Raudrive is right, the slimtubes can squish things a bit at the high end. Maybe not enough to matter, but it might be worth asking what the cost would be to you if you wanted to try the standard tubes and switch back to the slimtubes if you didn’t notice a difference.

1 Like

Excellent information! Admittedly, my last aid purchase (2016) with the Phonak Nadia V up, I purchase myself online (back when Buyhear existed) and self-programmed. Perhaps I “overbought” and could have simply stuck with the SP version with the same results?

Now, I need to go visit a good audiologist and revisit my options (with the improvement of technology). Want to go in prepared and knowledgable.

Probably not. But how loud do you keep your hearing aids, I wonder? Some people with your loss want every bit of gain they can get, whereas others are easily bothered by loudness. I have no idea what sort of gain they would have been fiting children with 46 years ago.

1 Like

Not sure what my gain are set as, I certainly have a lot of room as I can increase.

You have me intrude about RIC. I wonder why this isn’t often more for profound loss, as I would think this option minimizes the feedback as the microphone and receiver are spread apart verses BTE?

I did have Widex Super 440 RIC aids in 2013. It wasn’t powerful enough to hear speech. The maximum gain was 73 db when l needed 80 db gain. The vocational rehabilitation in my state brought a pair of those aids for Tinnitus treatment which didn’t help after a year of using them. I sold it a year later. Xceeds are the best for speech. Today’s RIC aids aren’t powerful enough for my hearing loss.

Thanks Terost,

Look like our audiogram is similar. So are you using Xceed currently? If so, did you ever compare them with Phonak?

I have not tried the Xceed aids yet. Xceed and Phonak Naida UP are my best choices for new aids.

Well I believe the Phonak Nadia V Up came out in 2016/2017 so that’s certainly not a new aid, nor new technology. Xceed has now been out almost 20 months so (again) not necessarily a new aid. Hoping Phonak Paradise Up comes out this Spring. If it does it should sell well, since very little competition in the power aid field.

My 2007 Starkey aids broke last year and audiologists were quoting 5k for a pair of Phonak Naidas B90 UP. I brought a used like new pair of Naida V90 SP and they work pretty well for me. I didn’t think that UP was really necessary. I am holding on to the Naidas V90 SP until Phonak comes out with UP versions in their next platform which could be the Paradise or newer.
I think that people with profound hearing loss like mine should be using regular tubing, not the slim tube as it removes some gain.

I am with Terost on the tube size. I recently went from RIC back to BTE with the Naida M90 SP. I use full size tubes and acrylic molds with .8mm vents. My low frequency is better than yours and feedback has not been a problem. Sound recover works for me. I have solved speech in noise; I stay out of noise.

Wade slowly into CI for once you go there, you cannot go back.

Thanks, I believe I started using the power slim tubes back in 2011, as I always wanted something smaller & less visible. But was never warned that it would affect the gains & performance!

Again, something to explore when I finally upgrade. Also, I take it that the RIC would really never be an option for my loss?

1 Like

You are borderline with UP receivers. The only way to tell is try them.
Is Costco a possibility for you?

This is true.
Thankfully there are people who will share their experiences of hearing loss and their move to CI. When your hearing gets to the point that you can not visit with family and friends no matter what aids you wear, you do have a choice.

1 Like

Suggest you either wait for the Oticon More with disposable batteries to come out later the year or wait for the Paradise UP which should be out in March, 2021. All other power hearing aids on the market are all pretty much two years going and a little bit long in the tooth. There the Marvel SP, but I think you would do better with a “True” UP aid.