Unitron Moxi B7-R RIC Hearing Aid Feels Strange and Uneasy

Hello,

After consultation with audiologist my mother opted for Moxi B7-R model and is currently in a testing phase that should last 1 month before the purchase. She had Phonak Audeo B30-312 prior to that and was okay with it until the cord became loose and fell off.

With Moxi she experiences strange noise that makes her feel uneasy. She describes it as that kind of sound when she’s the only person in an empty room talking. She says it’s like she hears herself when she talks which seems like an echo to me. When she is done using the device she has noise in her head.

She also has a pacemaker and what concerns me more is that when she used hearing aid in Bluetooth mode connected to her tablet, her pulse went up and she felt unwell. The hearing aid is a small device to cause any interference to affect pacemaker’s operation though. Whether it was a coincidence I don’t know but this happened twice already.

Anyone has ever experienced this sound effect that I described earlier? Has someone who has a pacemaker experienced that uneasy feeling and fast heartrate as well?

Thanks

@TechnicGeek: I’m assuming that you’ve already reported this pulse anomaly to your mom’s doctor, because I don’t think that HAs cause that kind of disturbance. (I’ll do some digging on Google Scholar when I’m done with my own appointments today.)

Doctors that don’t work in private sector are neglectful where I live and there is a waiting period of several months for appointments. Her cardiologist is alright I think but I don’t think they will know about that issue without deeper studying. I don’t know how it’s in private sector but I assume a client has at least phone access to their cardiologist and the latter are more willing to understand the issue.

@TechnicGeek: What country are you talking about? (I live in Canada :canada: - don’t know quite what you’re referring to as “private sector”.)

On a known Deaf UK Website where you can buy equipment for hearing aids and all sorts.

They have this notice for using Bluetooth Streamers and Telecoil Devices.

I’m not 100% sure how Bluetooth Aids will work tho but worth a check with the Doctor.

1 Like

@Zebras: There is a scholarly paper on this subject that I read a while back - I need to review it. The manufacturers will always add disclaimers like the one you quoted, even if the risk is infinitesimally small.

https://digitalcommons.wustl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1726&=&context=pacs_capstones&=&sei-redir=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar%3Fhl%3Den%26as_sdt%3D0%252C5%26q%3Dsafety%2Bof%2BBluetooth%2Bhearing%2Baids%2Baround%2Bpacemakers%2B%26btnG%3D#search="safety%20Bluetooth%20hearing%20aids%20around%20pacemakers"

DISCLAIMER: I am not a trained medical practitioner and cannot attest to the suitability of the cited research for the purpose of informing the OP’s query

1 Like

There is another information she just told me. Per audiologist’s recommendation she has always worn the hearing aid on her ear where she had surgery a very long time ago and had ear prosthesis installed. That’s actually the ear that hears better than the other ear. I am concerned as to why audiologist did not advice her to wear hearing aid on the other ear.

@TechnicGeek : It would help if you could post her audiogram. And please explain what type of “ear prosthesis” you mean.