Ugent need fitting suggestion for Phonak Lumity 90

Could someone with Phonak or fitting experience help me out?

I got a new pair Phonak Lumity 90 a month ago. but after 4 times fitting, I still have problem with it.
I wear HA for around 5 years as I suffer moderate hearing loss in low frequency and severe drop in high frequency. To get better hearing I upgraded to Phonak Lumity 90.

I would like to get some suggestions here before I visit my audiologist, again.

My issues are :

1. hard to get information in noisy environment or in group conversation. I have to remove HA or reduce to volume in order. ( I tried noisy environment mode, but not really help). to be honest, in noisy environment, HA not help at all. it is better if I remove it.
  2. sudden sound increase : I always come across sudden sound increase. I guess, HA is trying to adjust according to environment change, however, it caused some unpleasant sound, as well as sudden increase.
  3. when talk to ppl with relatively lound voice, HA occasionally get unpleasant sharp sound. reduce volume can help to reduce sharp sound, however, I may have difficulty to understand content then. It is just too hard to get a balance.
  4. Sound Played from computer or Mobile is not comfortable. sound from paper or some plastic bag is also too sharp. I can reduce volume to get more comfortable, but similarly, it will reduce the conversation clarification.

I have visited my Audiologist 4 times, but I have got a really good result so far. test in the clinic, quiet room seems ok, but when I go to real environment, I found so many issue.
so I would like to get some suggestion here before I visit her next time.

Thanks heaps in advance.

I can’t help you with most of those issues as I haven’t experienced them apart from the uncomfortable noises.
If you get your audiologist to perform a UCL (uncomfortable noise) test inside the Phonak fitting software then that should definitely help with some of the uncomfortable noises that you are hearing.

I had a similar issue and using the UCL information really helped.

There may of course be a more profound underlying issue with your fitting and the uncomfortable noises may be a sign of that. I am not qualified in any way and the UCL test is just a suggestion.

It’s hard for most people (even ones with normal hearing) to cope with speech in a lot of noise. The language spoken can also have a lot to do with the devices’ performance. For example, if you’re speaking a tonal language like Mandarin or Cantonese, the hearing aid algorithms are usually not designed to separate out the fine inflections of the language from the background noise: the speech patterns of the tonal language are just not recognized …

In any case, when you’re experiencing difficulties and you take your HAs out, you’re depriving your brain of an opportunity to learn to work with your devices. You’re hurting your hearing, in the final analysis. I suggest that you leave them in and take lots of notes about their shortfalls, to present to your audiologist, and give your brain a chance to learn to decode the new level of incoming information.

3 Likes

The big one for hearing aids is always speech in noisy environments. I think you are experiencing the limitations of any hearing aid in that regard.
That said, you are experiencing so many other odd issues I wouldn’t discount the possibility that your hearing aid is faulty. Just a thought.