TV Streaming and increasing ad volumes

Love my streamer, best tool in my aids shed. That being said, my wife has been watching 2 different tv apps. PLUTO & FREEVEE. They are free tv apps that have commercial ads. When the ads play, they are at an increased and uncomfortable volume than the shows being played. I know this is nothing new, but it’s really getting to be a pain to constantly turn down the volume for every commercial then increase the volume every time the show starts. Anyone found a fix for this? Tnx

Mute on TV Remote works well :wink:

2 Likes

Wish that worked, but the TV remote has no effect on my TV Streamer, it works independent from the TV controls.
The raise in volume isn’t as noticeable thru the tv speakers but thru my aids it is uncomfortable.

Oh, sorry. My setup is different, Surround system using an ARC Audio feed.

1 Like

Tell us about your connections. RCA or Toslink? And, connected to what on your TV.

Check the sound setting of the tv. You may have options that would allow how the line out works. Mine shows “analog audio out” fixed and variable for example. May be digital settings too. I also have a setting for “volume leveling” but I don’t think it works. LOL

I have the same problem with most steaming also.

1 Like

My Pluto streaming works that way too. Mute does not stop the audio.

I was confusing it with LG Smartshare which I use to stream movies from my computer storage and for that, it is the Pause button I was using, not the Mute.

1 Like

I just turn off the TV streaming device. Only takes one press of the remote button.

Yes, using the optical toslink from TV to streamer. I like that when I use the optical cable the sound is streaming Dolby sound

One press of which remote button? Hearing Aid remote?

I have so many remotes?? Plus I tend to forget about the connections immediately after I get them all connected and working :wink:

1 Like

(The remote for the TV streamer.)

Sorry, this is wrong…senior moment.

I have a Toslink splitter and 3-port selector switch between the TV and my bluetooth streaming device. That selector is powered and has an on/off switch. That is what I turn off.

I realize that my setup is rather unique.

1 Like

The problem is with the advert audio stream. I read some time ago it is to do with compression used with adverts. " The companies who make the adverts, process the audio so the loudest parts are louder and the quietest parts are quieter so that the average volume of the advert remains the same."

1 Like

Also, when I am streaming Pluto (but not using my hearing aids to listen via the TV adapter), then I can use the TV remote Mute button, and it shuts off all the Audio. Nothing but silence.

But then again, I was not streaming to my HAs. So it doesn’t answer the original question. It just provides a reason for my confusion. :wink:

1 Like

I understand that some of the more recent Roku streaming devices have a setting that lowers the volume of ads.

1 Like

I will look into that. I am using a Roku that is a few years old. Tnx

Sorry I cannot help but I don’t have this problem when streaming Freevee to my aids. Commercials are annoying but haven’t noticed them getting any louder.

Can you click out of your streaming program on your hearing aid during the commercials? Just one press to another program and then back in again.

Here they talk about a volume-leveling feature; How to use Volume Modes for better sound on Roku devices - YouTube

Only if TV streamers had a remote just the steamer. I don’t want to get up to mute the streamer everytime a commercial comes on.

1 Like

I think it’s subtle but TV ads were always played at a louder volume. To get your attention