TV Adapter hookup question

I’ve received complaints from the neighbor below us that our TV is too loud, so I’m considering a TV adapter, especially since I’d like new aids, too.

My wife has Costco KS10s; I have Philips 9010s, considering 9030s, Jabras, ???. At present, we get TV sound through HDMI-ARC to an A/V receiver to speakers. TV adapters seem to connect via optical cable. We have no RCAs on the TV. My TV doesn’t do HDMI and optical simultaneously. (It does do optical and internal speakers simultaneously, but the internal speakers don’t speak well.)

Can anyone here help me set up a TV adapter so that I can stream TV sound to my HAs and my wife can hear sound from the speakers? Would a splitter that took the TV’s optical output and sent it to 2 devices (adapter and receiver) work? Any pitfalls that you can prepare me for?

I’ve tried to get this info from my TV manufacturer (LG), but they use Facebook, and they are not getting back to me. I’d call, but my guess is you won’t be surprised to read I don’t do all that well on the phone. (ASHA is my biggest reason for considering new aids.)

Thanks.

@philbob57 Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-Digital-Splitter-Aluminum-Blue-Ray/dp/B07MJ4TLWQ

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. That’s exactly the type of device I was thinking of.

Yikes - 2 more devices. I’ll have to buy another power strip, too.

ETA: I did research on Amazon before starting this thread. It was only after I posted, though, that I was able to find the info I needed.

2 Likes

Dedpending on the aids you have (or have in the future) and the TV streamer for the particular aids, you may not need an optical splitter. For example, the TV Adapter 3 for my Oticon aids has an optical input and an optical output - my TV adapter is between the TV optical output and the optical input to our sound bar. As the Philips aids are from the same company (Demant) as Oticon, the TV adapter for them is probably similar and might very well have an optical output.

Most TV adapters for hearing aids use a protocol similar to Bluetooth but with better control of latency and, in some cases, longer range. However, if your aids have open domes or vented molds, you may hear both the TV adapter streamed signal and the sound bar output and they may not be perfectly in sync. Some sound bars/AV systems may have adjustments, typically for lip sync issues, that might allow for correction of the time difference between the two sound sources.

If me, the best way to use the TV adapter when others are also listening to the TV is to mute the hearing aid microphones so I hear only the audio streamed from the adapter.

1 Like

This is important for people with open domes or similar.

New TV’s allow only one audio output, either internal speakers, HDMI/ARC or Toslink. I use an HDMI/ARC/eARC/TOSLINK audio extractor gives you more options. Works great.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKCYDQ1S/ref=ppx_yo_tab_ap_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

We have used a powered toslink splitter with great results.

Thanks very much for your responses.

1 Like

@philbob57 The reason I’ve posted 1 in 4 out adapter, is to allow you to link few items to the optical source.
You could potentially get 2 TV connectors, 1 for yourself and another for your other half, and link them to the same audio source using optical connection.
Not sure if both of you had the same HA model/make, if 1 TV connector will stream to 2 HA at the same time? :thinking:

At this time I can only speak for Oticon TV Adapter 3.0, But Yes, we both stream at the same time.

1 Like

Phonak’s TV Connector: an unlimitted number of (Phonak-) HAs can stream at the same time.