Transfer Phonak Roger X receivers between hearing aids

Thanks Ruth, hope you’re well.

1 Like

@MilosDj

Yes you could do that but you may as well transfer into hearing aids and forget about the Roger X.

I’ve never tried it tho so I can’t say transferring back into Roger X will even work.

@michael1

Thanks. I’m all good apart from needing 14 to 16 hours of sleep at the moment.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve wondered about that. I had heard you should keep the physical receivers as you need them to go back into, and that an iN device won’t transfer them. (Because the ones that come out of an X are different?) But an experiment would show the facts.

WH

1 Like

I thought @kevels55 was going to try this once he got an In and had spare space. I think he’s the only member with all the required kit.

2 Likes

That is a bit of a conundrum @michael1, I have 4 sets of aids, all have type 03 Roger X installed already, from 1 Roger Select iN, that Select iN is now empty of Roger X receivers, and my physical Roger X’s are all loaded, so it would mean, I would perhaps lose a set of Roger X, if you get my drift? I would need another empty set of hearing aids, in order to do that experiment, transfer the Roger X receivers, using Roger X Installer into the empty aids, then see if they would transfer into the empty Select iN, sounds confusing, but it’s not… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Thinking out loud, a set of aids holds 2 Roger X slots in each individual aid, 1 for type 03, and I assume 1 for type 02, in the past I have accidentally installed 2 x type 03 into one aid, so in theory it might work, but when you retrieve them you would not know which was which? Now it’s getting confusing :rofl: Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Look up the Roger Installer. Thats what was used to transfer receiver from my Roger X to my new Nadia L90-UP

I have the Roger Installer @rsinclair123, images taken a few minutes ago, also 1 x set of type 03, 2 x sets of type 02… I also have 2 x Roger Select iN’s, and multiple other Roger devices, the problem is all my hearing aids are also loaded with type 03 receivers :upside_down_face: Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Can you pull a license out of a hearing aid and put it back in one of the iN devices? Or are all of those full, too?

1 Like

Yeah, I can do that @CombatWombat, but I believe the actual Roger Select iN, only holds 2 licenses at any given time, it can reproduce a clone of the original licences… In theory, if I take 2 licenses out of one set of aids, back into the empty Select iN , then double up another set of aids, with 2 licenses per aid, (every aid has 2 license slots) that might work, I may experiment tomorrow… That would leave me with an empty Select iN, I could then install the physical type 03 Roger X receiver into the empty set of aids, then try and transfer those licenses into the Select iN… Sounds plausible :rofl: We shall see… Cheers Kev :wink:

Tried a quick experiment, I couldn’t load 2 x type 03 in one hearing aid, perhaps they changed the firmware to prevent this? I can however load a type 02 & 03 in each aid, see screenshot of my aids… So, I am unable to carry on any further experiments, as stated in a previous post, my 4 sets of aids are all loaded, with type 03 receivers, until I can get hold of an empty set of Phonak aids’ I might try a friend next week, I know he has a set of Marvels (I think?) Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Wow! Kevels 55 you are one well equipped guy!

1 Like

Thank you @rsinclair123… Yes, I do have lots of Roger equipment, but mostly bought on eBay, second hand… I am extremely patient, I will wait months for the the correct price, and item… For instance, 1 of those Roger X type 02 Receiver’s cost me £56.00, that’s what I offered :rofl: they cost over £600 new, here in the UK… The most difficult item to find was the Roger Installer, that took a while to get hold of, eventually I found 1 in South Korea, approximately £150 to buy & £50 to post via expedited air mail, but it was fun too track it around the globe, in fact the longest part, was waiting for it to clear UK customs :smile: If anyone is thinking of buying into the Roger ALD’s ecosystem, my advice would be, do your research thoroughly, before you buy, arm yourself with knowledge on what to buy, above all else, be patient, there are many bargains to be had, you just have to wait for them to appear… Cheers Kev :smile:

I paid £19 back a few years ago for a 02 Roger X receiver. Think it was around 2020 as still had none Bluetooth Aids.

1 Like

Brilliant (£19) price Ruth… Well done you :clap: :clap: :clap: I think we could possibly be “tarred with the same brush” we tend to hunt out the bargains :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy: I like the eBay Auctions where you can make an offer, and do a bit of haggling, I also buy a lot of Dewalt tools on eBay, I will spend hundreds of pound on individual tools… They are expensive. Cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55

I used to hunt eBay way too much. I mean way too much for Phonak items.

Now my whole life, fits in to 1 x 75L bag as I split my time between hospital, my brothers house and YHAs or Backpackers Hostels or Bunk Houses (my choice so I can explore places), I’ve ended up selling a lot of my items including excess Roger equipment.

2 Likes

Kevin Bond "licensed to kill ".
I hope this doesn’t bring out our friend.

2 Likes

I don’t think I am too obsessive, I regularly visit eBay though, perhaps every 2nd or 3rd day, if I am looking for something specific… TBVH, I have way too much, Roger stuff, but I am a collector of many things, tools are one weakness, shoes are another, also snooker/pool cues, at one time I had 22 cues, ranging in value from £100 to £500 each, most are around midrange, of that price, collectors pieces from the late forties to early fifties, so around 70 to 80 years old, all where still very usable, my oldest cue is from about 1910… I have started selling my cue collection off, but being a hoarder, and parting with things, is difficult :rofl: Cheers Kev :grin:

3 Likes

I wonder if when you retrieve the licenses in what order they will come out again. It could be ‘first in first out’ or ‘first in last out”.
It seems there are two allocated memorie spaces on the chip in the HA which are specific to license type 02 or 03.
And also interesting to know if you retrieve or recover the version out of the Roger firmware updater if it is just undeleting the former transferred license so making a copy or if or it makes another new license for the Roger On In with a new serialnumber.
Another experiment could tell if the Roger On In only can hold one or also two different license types like the HA. And if only holds one is it then version specific for what it initially had.

At the moment I only have a Marvel90 and a P90 as well as one Roger OnIn and one Roger On. There are 2 times two licenses both payed for. But after I now took 2 extra with the Firmware updater on my Roger On In I don’t want to lose them…. So I unfortunately seem not to be able to experiment it myself.

Could this be something build in for in case you lose your aids you don’t lose your license? As I was wondering before about a question someone once in the forum had about a story he lost a HA because his dog eat it/ probably thought it was chewing gum or so.

Wonder also about the policy Sonova will have if the manufacturers will start rolling out the Auracast in a few years and we will not need the Roger and TV link stuff anymore. A scary los of income would blow the money machine of Phonak away in the future.

1 Like

Just googled about Auracast, sounds promising… Re Phonak, they earned enough IMO, with $$$$ price for 20-gram devices. Yes, R&D costs, blah-blah, but it’s still way too much.

1 Like