Toshiba Smart TV and Phonak TV Connector

Um … think I threw 'em all out !. Cupboard used for some thing else ! Silly me.

1 Like

Thanks for the warning. Sometimes I’m watching stuff the wife doesn’t like (football, cricket, etc - unbelievable !) so I’d be turning the room volume down so she can’t hear it. I suppose I need at least some volume to avoid your problem ? It’s a separate room and I can close the door. What do you think ?

Thanks again - I think I’m getting there now !

This has never happened with me and my volume is at 1. I do have an extremely old TV tho.

I forget the period of quiet before it cuts out, maybe 30 or 40 seconds. I’ve run into it on quieter music where there is a quiet ending, a gap between pieces, and then a quiet intro. Then Bam! it jolts when it senses sustained audio for a few seconds and you missed the gentle ramp-up.

I also got it on zoom & google meet when I was using it off a computer. When you are waiting for the team all to join, or an important person to join, I was missing some of the polite chit chat. Or as we worked on a problem waiting for a computer task to finish and comments were made here and there. Nothing to say for a couple minutes, the audio disconnects and then you miss the beginning of what is said when they start talking.

My experience.

As for @maggieandjimpepin using it, does the volume of the headphones go up and down together (under the same control) as the main audio? You may have trouble trying to make it quiet for her and still hear your program.

WH

Ah well ! This morning I fitted the new 3.5mm double ended jack cable to the TV jack socket and my Phonak connector and got good reception on my aids. Silence from the TV speakers. I had the sound menu on ‘headphones’ - interestingly a brief message appears when I choose this option - ‘Headphones only’, which certainly suggests this cheap-end Toshiba won’t do both. ‘Advanced settings’ didn’t help. There was a bar to move back and forth to control volume - I hoped this would activate TV speakers but it only reduced or increased volume to the aids.

This happend to me also back when I used the headphone jack to connect the TV connector. I changed to optical/toslink. Never happend aigain.
One more reason to prefer toslink if possible.

1 Like

So you get into the settings and you see one called picture menu. Another called sound menu. Another called network menu. etc.
You select sound menu.
You see dolby, then surround, then sound output and avl etc.
You select sound output.
Are the selections?:
tv, spdif, hdmi arc, headphone only, lineout
We’re looking for lineout. Watch that volume!
It’s possible that your model doesn’t have lineout.
Unplug the 3.5 and set it to tv to hear it to know it works. Then plug it back in. Does the tv go quiet. Maybe sound will come out both. I doubt it. But maybe.

Here is a screenshot from the Toshiba manual for this TV.
I appears that while using the 3.5 headphone output, you would set the TV to LINEOUT. If you set this to HEADPHONES ONLY, then it would mute the TV speakers while allowing the headphones to be adjusted by using the volume control on the TV. When set to LINEOUT, the headphone volume will be set to max and the TV speakers will be adjusted using the TV volume control. You can then adjust the streaming volume either on the streamer, in the app, or on your aids. My Resound streamer has a volume control on top independent from my app or aids.

So called “Smart” TVs are so smart, they anticipate what kind of connections you might need. Often wrongly. When our old TV went out due to a lightning strike, we bought a new Samsung model. I always use an external audio amplifier because i don’t like the sound of the TV speakers. Well, this Samsung doesn’t have an audio out. Only optical. So, I bought a device that takes that and gives me 2 actual audio outputs. One for the amp, and one for the streamer. Now, I can’t adjust volume from the remote because the optical is a fixed output level. I have to get up, go to the amp, and change the volume manually. If your TV has a headphone output that disconnects the speakers when used, then optical is about your only choice.

If anything, this thread will have me much more aware during my next TV purchase so thanks for that.

Several folk said the same. I expect my guy had one case of it happening, which wasn’t the bnorm.

Tried it - no joy. I guess it’s this model of TV that won’t do it. It’s either/or.

My Boots cable was audio/optical and was supposed to do both - Phonak device and normal TV volume. It was either/or.

Do you have a 3.5 to 3.5 cable? Have you tried to use that cable from the TV to your streamer? And is your TV output setting on LINEOUT? If so, you should hear sounds thru the TV speakers and the headphones jack should push sound to the streamer. Then you need to set your aids to the streaming program in the app or on your aids. Are you doing this?

Tried that ! Even with a 3.5 cable with a jack at both ends, using the TV headphone socket, I could get just the Phonak on every setting (including Lineout). Or the TV speakers instead, of course. I found a setting in the manual which specifically said that it was either/or if using any kind of external amplifier, as they put it. Thanks for trying to help. I have much appreciated everybody’s valiant efforts.

1 Like

So take the TV Connector and the cables if you go shopping for a different tv. Have them test it for you. The optical and 3.5 and the usb. Even a usb wall wart in case you can’t find a usb port for power. Let them figure out which model will do what you want.
My 13 year old plasma will output both. I can mute the tv and still hear out of the TV Connector. The spouse can listen normally when not muted and I can hear out of the TV Connector to assist.

Earlier on, mr.smithster provided a pic with what is likely the manual and there was one word being interpreted…There will be no sound output except through the selected output AND the headphone jack. But you seem to be experiencing otherwise.

1 Like

Done and dusted ! My Panasonic Tx40jx850b arrived yesterday. Works a treat, with sound via headphone jack to Phonak connector and other ene to headphone socket. Wife happy with normal sound from TV. Last one is still there as of yesterday at Richer Sounds’ London Branch.

Thanks all for the help and advice. I’m signing off from this thread now.

3 Likes

Glad you are now sorted @maggieandjimpepin…. Panasonic are indeed excellent TV’s, usually a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for, quality! All the very best, cheers Kev :wink:

Excellent quality ! All the best to you too. Signing off now.

1 Like