Tips on Buying Second Hand Hearing Aids

First you need to know what system programs your HA. I have Phonak so I use the target software. I watched programmers very carefully how they connect and then begin the process. I then downloaded step by step instructions from target, Audiologyonline.com offers courses on target programming I watch free, cost $ only if you want CEU credits and some YouTube videos are helpful

1 Like

Thank you!

I’m considering Phonak M 70 BTE.
Will I need any extra tools\ devices during the setup\ programming apart from my laptop and hearing aids?

Yes. I currently have Phonak M90’s and use Noahlink wireless purchased new on ebay for $130 us. I believe you could go with a hipro with wires but I am not familiar with that unit.

@Zeeza Take a look at this thread which has some interesting videos:

2 Likes

I think for both your hearing needs and also support needs (ie DIY) that Phonak is your best bet. Widely sold around the world, and there is a good knowledge base as other people have pointed out. Take the time to read everything you can–you do not have to assimilate everything at once, but just getting a feeling for the process will help. When I first watched tutorials on programming software I did not understand even basic terminology, so I just made notes and afterwards I looked them up and it was honestly pretty clear. Plus, there are always “assisted” modes and you can always start over. After I had figured out some of the nomenclature I watched the video again and it really started to make sense. I truly thought this would be out of my grasp–I am pretty computer literate but I am a high level user–but really, it is not. In fact, I actually look forward to having some control. I saw comments about how a lot of aids are handed over to people with little more than default settings, which could explain why a lot of people are unhappy with HA choices of one kind or another. I suspect this is true of my husband’s aids and I know it is true of mine.

2 Likes

Any brands for DIY is no problem, target is not the easiest to navigate tho, do not limit yourself to one brand, get your HAs first, you don’t want to base your next set of HAs on how you like the software!
As you’ve seen there’s plenty of us doing DIY projects to help you along, anything you want/need just ask here, lots of great people to help out, here’s the DIY forum on hearingtracker

3 Likes

Yeah you don’t want this old stuff, I wouldn’t recommend this at all, as you mentioned the Noahlink wireless programming device is the way to go, because it’s the industry standard you can use it in just about every brand just plug and play.

4 Likes