The Ten Commandments (For Hearing Impaired)

Hi Folks

Saw this image on Facebook, and it brought home a few truths! Perhaps some of our friends, family & colleagues, could do with a copy as a straightforward clue to better communication tactics, although if I am brutally honest, most of us “Will” encounter a lot of these Commandments, broken on a daily basis… Feel free to copy, and use as you wish. Cheers Kev :wink:

21 Likes

Thanks Kev.
Very timely.
Needed that.

DaveL
Toronto

4 Likes

Heck, even my spouse will violate most of them multiple times today. Maybe it would work better if we asked not to do anything on the list? :thinking:

8 Likes

OMG. My dear hubs has broken ALL 10 commandments listed here … now I better keep my radar up for the OTHER 10 Commandments. :wink:

But seriously! Living with a hearing-impaired person for DECADES would seem to render this list of very easy, do-able commandments a no-brainer. But we are always going to be up against those with “normal” hearing who have no CLUE about the necessity of these 10 simple rules.

All that said, now that I’m wearing Phonak Lumity Life aids, I’m my own worst enemy. I am now able to (mostly!) carry on conversations or answer questions while my back is turned to the speaker, I’m in a different room - hey, even on a different floor of the house, LOL! It’s a small curse that has turned into a huge BLESSING.

But I totally agree with these 10 Commandments posted. My mother-in-law - herself a wearer of aids ALWAYS muttered behind her hand. And my own mom - a HA wearer for longer than me ALWAYS asks me questions from across the room when we have our backs facing each other. EH? What’s up with that?

5 Likes

Amen brother. Preach it to my family members who Just Don’t Get It.

4 Likes

IX. . . . and slowly.
X. . . . and remove your mask.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, prior to SSNHL… I was most probably just as ignorant as most, with regards to hearing loss? Although, for some reason, I was always fascinated by the “Profoundly Deaf”, I had a close friend, whom was Pre-lingually Deaf, (we played in the same pool team) Danny had no speech, or very little speech, he could say the odd word, usually it was an expletive :rofl: Back then (47 years ago in the Scottish Highlands) my sign language was almost non-existent or at best, extremely basic, but Danny was a wonderful lip-reader, he had to be as none of his extremely large family signed… He was extremely bright, and very friendly, but hard as nails, it didn’t pay any dividends if you crossed him, fortunately I never did! Anyway, I recall being in a Pub/Bar one night around that time, I was on my own, just shooting some pool with the regulars, a young guy came in, I knew his father, but I didn’t know him, it quickly became apparent he was also Big D, Profoundly Deaf with no speech, so we struck up a rudimentary conversation, my very basic signing, and a pen and paper, I spent the next couple of hours in one of the most frustrating conversations I have ever had, if it was frustrating for me, it was probably far worse for him… But, it left a lasting impression, and a vow to myself, to one day learn sign language! Many, many years later, I was in my local Pub, I went home south to Airdrie (Where I was born) for the weekend, its approximately 220 miles from the Highlands, a convo struck up with the barman, and somehow the conversation got round to Profoundly Deaf, and Sign Language, the barman says, there is 2 deaf folk playing pool round the corner on one of the tables, so I walked round to say or sign Hello…FFS, it was Danny, and his girlfriend, I hadn’t seen him for probably 30 years!!! The Sign Language went into overdrive, being able to communicate freely was such a wonderful experience… Now Danny is a Highlander, and I guess fate crossed our paths that day, the odds of meeting are probably astronomical? But, a day that I am unlikely to forget…Cheers Kev :grin:

6 Likes

If that ain’t Karma, what is? That’s a storybook tale with a great finish … and no end in sight if you keep in contact with Danny!

I also like the tag “Big D”! Yeah, That sounds like we have POWER. And with power, we can make things happen. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @1Bluejay :grin: Yeah, I see Danny occasionally, he lives in Edinburgh, but he sometimes pops home to his family in Dingwall… That day was one of the highlights of my life, still tickles me, when I think about it :grin: Although, my pal Willie beats my story with interest, he was a merchant seaman, and sailed into Singapore, headed ashore, and randomly picked a Bar for a drink, a short while later someone pissed, roughly bumped into him at the Bar, and he said, “Hey watch where you are going”! The guy turned around, going to give him a mouthful… It was his twin brother!!! He was off a different ship… Tis indeed a small world! Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

My own small world story (hope I’m not straying too far off-topic): was driving across the USA with another couple and my hubs. We got to a small town in the hills of Arizona (Flagstaff) where we had a hotel room for one night. Driving up to the entrance, I said, “Hey, slow down! That’s my BROTHER!” And indeed, he was walking to his car having just checked in. Only then did I learn he’d driven across country in the same direction as us, but by a different route. Neither of us knew of the other’s trip at all. Twilight Zone for sure.

6 Likes

My younger Sister passed about 7 years ago. I had trouble dealing with it.
I read a book, “Dying to Be Me” by Rita Moorjani.
It helped me a lot.
Dr Wayne Dyer was alive back then. He suggested she write her book.
Ms Moorjani had terminal cancer and was taken off treatment. She had a near death experience. She returned to write her book.
Reading this book convinced me that there is much more. It’s not an explanation for how we meet in the middle of nowhere. But it suggests that we are connected. It may suggest more, but I’m not tuned enough to interpret that.

Twilight zone. My Brother is a cancer survivor; a schizophrenic. He sometimes tells me he talks with our late Sister. I hope he does. Reality is relative.

DaveL
Toronto

3 Likes

My wife does many of these, sometimes too often–sometimes unaware even though I keep reminding her about it. It was a lifetime habit, need to change it now that I am having trouble understanding. Thank you for sharing–I will send it to her.

1 Like

Yep, @romeroo, people easily forget, when it doesn’t effect their needs… I recall many years ago, on or around 2007, I was working as a “Deaf Awareness Tutor”, my job remit from a governmental department initiative, was to go round different places of work, offices & factories, and teach communication tactics so they could effectively communicate with their HOH colleagues, during these “Power Point” sessions, after which we had a question & answers session, it amazed me how many folks whom had friends & family who where HOH, or in some cases profoundly deaf, but they had no idea how to effectively communicate with them!!! I reiterate, “People easily forget, when it doesn’t affect their needs”… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

I am with you, Dave. I think the world is much more amazing and mysterious than we can know. I would regret it if my arrogance or small-mindedness cut me off from the wonder and the possibility of forms of connection we can hardly imagine.

3 Likes

Hmm. Are these 10 Commandments for the hearing-impaired or 10 Commandments for people interacting with the hearing-impaired. Both perhaps :wink:

1 Like

Thanks!
My dog was diagnosed with cancer at 9-1/2. I was introduced to a Vet who was licensed PLUS a holistic practitioner. She was an animal communicator. Any animal Horses. Cats. Dogs. And more. My dogs and I remained in her care for over 35 years. I learned so much from her. I have so much to learn. My dog lived a happy additional 1-1/2 years.

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes

Just some thoughts on the “ten commandments.” Ran them by my wife. She agreed that they’re essential for communication to happen, but don’t acknowledge that a lot of “communication” is of the “I’m alive, you’re alive.” variety. (That’s a quote from a Terry Pratchett novel) Sometimes we just feel like talking and don’t feel like going to great efforts to make sure we’re understood because we just feel like talking. (I think this is also evidenced by a lot of the rambling that happens on the forum) To follow the “ten commandments” when we just feel like jibbering is annoying. Unfortunately not doing it is annoying to the hearing impaired. I am often overly brief, but I’d modify the “10 commandments” to “IF you want to be understood, get my attention first and speak to me face to face.”
(If it’s important, leaving a note for me isn’t a bad idea either.)

4 Likes

Agreed @MDB, some folks speak, for the sake of speaking, they don’t really have anything important to say, but silence somehow disturbs them… Myself, I don’t really appreciate small talk, although it has its occasional uses, as a prelude to what’s actually on someone’s mind, and the speaker is marking time, in order to find the correct words… Strangely enough, over the last 6 months or so, my wife (Elspeth) voice has altered quite significantly, and I now struggle badly, even in the quiet…I don’t think it’s my hearing going down, as I am hearing everyone else just fine, Elspeth is quite vocal, and you might even term her as loud, when we worked in the same social work team, I could hear her plainly in the next room, usually with the door closed :rofl: Perhaps because she has now retired, and doesn’t talk as much, her voice has weakened? Anyway, it causes some friction, that I am not listening, the truth is half the time, I’m guessing, lip reading or usually both… Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

I think there should be one commandment: thou shall not make assumptions about the hearing impaired!

I have a moderately severe loss in the high frequencies only with great improvements with my hearing aids. I simply don’t need all these accommodations listed in the “commandments” and find them quite patronizing if someone assumes I need them. Am I the only one in this boat?

It is far more respectful to assume the hearing aids do what is needed until it’s obvious that they don’t.

1 Like

Unfortunately @user184 everyone is not the same, your audiogram is almost unique to you alone, I usually compare it in simple terms, it’s almost fingerprint like, and if you throw in various other hearing problems, like Tinnitus, Meniers Disease or perhaps a rare disorder like OPD, then no 2 hearing losses are the same… they may be similar, but not exactly the same… If you are ever unfortunate enough to have a severe/profound loss across the board, then your opinion may alter/change? Everything is always relative to our experience, I am glad you are doing well with your aids, some of us are less fortunate… But, such is life. Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes