The Google Pixel & Pixel 2 will support Bluetooth Hearing Aids on Android P

Thanks, I’ll review that thread. My apologies, I really should’ve searched more thoroughly.

I’m just beyond frustrated at the state of HAs, and this recent Android P news got me excited.

It’s 2018 and nobody’s solved this problem satisfactorily (IMO). My Signias has a telecoil accessory (easyTek) that hangs around your neck. I will not wear it. I hate things around my neck, and it looks silly. I know it sounds vain, but I can’t do it.

2 Likes

phonak and other companies acknowledging work for bluetooth 4.2 or below hence 5.0 tecnically not compatible.

1 Like

The latest Signia use a Bluetooth device called the Streamline Mic. I have the Rexton/Costco version and it, like the Resound Phone Clip+ of my former hearing aids, solves my connectivity problems. I wear it on a lanyard under my shirt, but you can clip it to a collar or shirt pocket. It appears to be smaller than the EasyTek.

It connects to my cell phone, office phone, laptops, tablets, and generic Bluetooth transmitters. I also have the TV transmitter that transmits directly to the hearing aids. I want everything possible going through the hearing aids. The hearing aids are set up for my hearing loss, so that’s how I want to get any and all sounds in.

My only complaint about the Rexton Smart Mic/ Signia Streamline Mic is that it will connect to only one phone at a time. The Resound Phone Clip+ will connect to two.

Actually, on a support call with my pro, the Rexton person said it would connect to two phones, but I have not found that to be true. If there is something we have to enable for that, please let me know

Thanks, I’ll look into that. The product page seems to indicate it’s only for the NX line, but I’ll ask my audiologist anyway. (My model is Insio 7px).

Still not as convenient as direct streaming, but if it works, it might fit the bill until better solutions are introduced.

Yup. All of us non-Apple-totin’, not-interested-in-intermediate-devices folks are frustrated and still waiting.
Remember…this is a two-sided coin. The sending device (the smart phone) and the receiving device (the HA). Both have to have the working tech. Just because one of them has the ability does not mean the other will play along.
The problem up to now has been battery consumption of the bluetooth standards. That and not being able to connect to both HA’s in actual stereo. But for now, using available standards, the Phonak Direct is it. (except a few OTC/PSAP) But even that can only receive from their intermediate device for stereo.

Bluetooth 5 is supposed to be backwards compatible so it should still work with older versions. It just won’t have Bluetooth 5 features when working with those older versions.

Just about positive that the Signia Streamline Mic is only for nx and will not work with px.

I think that is right. On the Signia website, under Hearing Aids, New Products, it shows all Nx models.

If you have a Pixel 2 or a Nexus 6 you can have the latest version of Android P right now. It is not being “pushed” to phones but can be manually installed by going to settings>software update and you will be offered the update. I have had it for 3 days now . This is the follow up to the previous version that was a developer preview which I found pretty stable. This version has been 100% for the past 3 days anyway. I do not see any new options in settings regarding hear aids. This is not the final consumer version and will have updates added, supposedly, weekly if not more often. Some of the other new options are present but not activated or must be manually turned on. Not suggested that you install the update if you want a fully polished, totally stable OS, although I have not had a single glitch.

If you are considering buying a new phone to use any of the new features in Android 9 §. I would suggest you strongly consider a Pixel 2 from Google. Any other brand of phone will be dependent on your carrier updating it to Android 9. Some carriers take over a year to do so, if at all. Pixel updates come directly from Google(th maker of Android), not from carriers, and generally get updated the day they are available. Up dates are also guaranteed for 3 years on Pixel 2’s. I have no connection to Google or Pixel, although it may sound like it!

I’m starting to believe that what we’re seeing here is development of Android support for the Bluetooth Hearing Aid Profile that we’ve all associated with Bluetooth 5. That standard hasn’t been released and may not be for a long time, but Google would be tracking its development and laying the groundwork. It’s not like the standard is released one day and Google assembles a team the next day to start working on it.

The Android P release was an informed guess on someone’s part. I think they guessed wrongly. Having said that, the usual disclaimer applies. I know nothing.

2 Likes

I’m a little frustrated but not greatly so. I realized that the phone/HA Bluetooth connectivity (other than the Apple thing) was not just around the corner. I put my AudD on hold for the $$ set, went to Costco for something less costly with the streamer and would wait for the technology to emerge.

My landline and cell calls connected via Bluetooth have never been better. Just wish I had a greater range for the landline. I’m lucky if I get 15-20 feet.

In the meantime, I will follow the forum and wait for the developments and any issues to work themselves out. Mentally I said 3 years - if it takes 4, so be it. My guess is that by 2021 or so we should have a workable solution. Keep in mind that most HA’s appear to be on an 18 month product cycle.

I think 3-4 years should cover it. However, I still doubt if it will be “rock solid.” Meaning I think spontaneous disconnects will still be a thing.

There may be a difference in the bluetooth range of different land line phones. I have a much greater range than 15~20 feet. VTech LS6245. I get whole house coverage and probably 40~50’ outside the house. Phone base located on 2nd floor. This is a several year old model but readily on eBay - kind of a cult favorite phone because of style. YMMV

It might be my Compilot(s), I don’t get much more than 15-20’ with either the II or Air II using the TVlink. Granted the TV connection is better than the phone. Maybe a new phone is worth trying.

I currently use Halo 2 hearing aids from Starkey (made for Iphone). These devices are technically equipped with BLE and NFMI (2.4 GHz). With my Galaxy S8 on Android V.8. I use the Trulink app from Starkey. The devices are normally recognized as Bluetooth devices and you can pair them normally like other Bluetooth devices. In the Truelink app I can control various options and create different listening profiles. The ringtone from the smartphone during calls is also transmitted. This means that the connection via BLE works today even with Android V.8. What is missing is the audio connection (telephone, music, TV …). The Starkey Halo 2 devices will definitely work with Android V.9. and Google Pixel, or Pixel 2 Smartphone offer all integrative functions, as is currently the case with an Iphone. However, whether Samsung realizes the implementation (apart from native BLE), for example, will be seen. So it will be with every manufacturer and its high-end devices.

1 Like

In forgot to mention:

The lime green colored pic shows the person authoring the commit (support) for aids.

He is Stanley Tng. stngATgoogle.com

Maybe @AbramBaileyAuD or his hardware guy can get something from Mr. Tng to post here.

Google phones that will support it: Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel 2, and Google Pixel 2
The Pixel used is on ebay for under $200.

About two weeks ago, I asked Mishaal Rahman to write a statement on the xda platform. I found it interesting to note the context in the attached screenshots. I will definitely not switch my S8 smartphone to Google Pixel devices (produced by HTC and LG). When the time comes, I will contact Samsung. I think they will be interested in commercializing this unique selling point as an integration.

I have a Pixel 2, so am watching all of this with great interest, as I said on another thread. It’s also time for me to buy new HAs, since my current ones are from 2012 and don’t have BT at all. Would love to get some clarity on all of this as I decide on which HAs to go with.

1 Like

The 3rd preview beta release of Android “P” (9), which promises additional support for Hearing related devices, was released yesterday to phones enrolled in the Android Beta release program.
. It does not contain the assistive additions. The 4th preview release is supposed to come complete with all features to be included in the final release. We will be able to soon see just what’s of interest to HA wearers.

4 Likes