The Google Pixel & Pixel 2 will support Bluetooth Hearing Aids on Android P

It might be my Compilot(s), I don’t get much more than 15-20’ with either the II or Air II using the TVlink. Granted the TV connection is better than the phone. Maybe a new phone is worth trying.

I currently use Halo 2 hearing aids from Starkey (made for Iphone). These devices are technically equipped with BLE and NFMI (2.4 GHz). With my Galaxy S8 on Android V.8. I use the Trulink app from Starkey. The devices are normally recognized as Bluetooth devices and you can pair them normally like other Bluetooth devices. In the Truelink app I can control various options and create different listening profiles. The ringtone from the smartphone during calls is also transmitted. This means that the connection via BLE works today even with Android V.8. What is missing is the audio connection (telephone, music, TV …). The Starkey Halo 2 devices will definitely work with Android V.9. and Google Pixel, or Pixel 2 Smartphone offer all integrative functions, as is currently the case with an Iphone. However, whether Samsung realizes the implementation (apart from native BLE), for example, will be seen. So it will be with every manufacturer and its high-end devices.

1 Like

In forgot to mention:

The lime green colored pic shows the person authoring the commit (support) for aids.

He is Stanley Tng. stngATgoogle.com

Maybe @AbramBaileyAuD or his hardware guy can get something from Mr. Tng to post here.

Google phones that will support it: Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel 2, and Google Pixel 2
The Pixel used is on ebay for under $200.

About two weeks ago, I asked Mishaal Rahman to write a statement on the xda platform. I found it interesting to note the context in the attached screenshots. I will definitely not switch my S8 smartphone to Google Pixel devices (produced by HTC and LG). When the time comes, I will contact Samsung. I think they will be interested in commercializing this unique selling point as an integration.

I have a Pixel 2, so am watching all of this with great interest, as I said on another thread. It’s also time for me to buy new HAs, since my current ones are from 2012 and don’t have BT at all. Would love to get some clarity on all of this as I decide on which HAs to go with.

1 Like

The 3rd preview beta release of Android “P” (9), which promises additional support for Hearing related devices, was released yesterday to phones enrolled in the Android Beta release program.
. It does not contain the assistive additions. The 4th preview release is supposed to come complete with all features to be included in the final release. We will be able to soon see just what’s of interest to HA wearers.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to finding out…

Still need the HA makers to implement their side. But it’s all nice progress towards a more open, non-proprietary market.
Hmm. Corporations just love proprietary. I wonder if they’ll do this anyway.

1 Like

Why would they want some other company to profit from their work in figuring out how to implement this? What is their incentive for that?

The common flaw in patents is that they were design for things. Now they are trying to protect ideas. Ideas can’t be protected. This is especially true for software

An example would be “One Click” buying patented by Amazon. All it does is automate a process covering several screens that verify customer wishes. One Click uses stored data without verification. Nothing that couldn’t be done quickly in other software.

It is like you thinking, I’ll go to lunch. No, you can’t go without paying for the right to Timmy who patented going to lunch

1 Like

Clearly making hearing aids work with low energy Bluetooth in an energy efficient manner is not such an easy process. If it was all the hearing aid and phone manufacturers would be offering solutions other than MFi. Money invested in that process needs to have a return or they won’t bother. You once bought a video recording on a tape or disc. Now they are digital and delivered to your device electronically. Software is not free. Digital content is not free. Everything has a price. That is just the society we live in. It’s a bit like the free follow up visits at the audiologist. They are all rolled into the price.

More likely Timmy would open a franchise of lunch diners and make his fortune collecting from the franchisees. :grinning:

That’s been done already. Here in Canada we call it “Timmy’s”

2 Likes