The Google Pixel & Pixel 2 will support Bluetooth Hearing Aids on Android P

2.4 and MFi are the same only in using the same band for transmission. There are many other things – including some garage door openers – that use the band for different purposes.

It isn’t 2.4 that means something. It is the software/hardware that makes something happen. Forget about 2.4 being anything other than a frequency that it uses. It nothing more than a replacement for a wired connection.

1 Like

Current 2.4 Ghz BLE Technology HA will support if Android P fixed the problem…?

Android P will not fix the problem of Android being unable to stream directly to hearing aids by itselt. It will also require appropriate hardware. If you want it to work, don’t assume anything.

Again, you are talking about a frequency and not what is important. BT5 is the new specification for hardware. To that vendors attach software. If the software was written for hearing aids…wallah.

Android is an open paradigm operating system of software. Hardware manufacturers can choose to implement parts of or all of what is available in the overall Android operating system software. Like the new-fangled bluetooth standards available now. This is also a part of the problem. Unlike with Apple products where one outfit controls the operating system and the hardware it runs on.

And then blah blah blah HA’s have to use those new bluetooth standards too for non-Apple devices blah blah blah. When and if that happens who knows.

The hearing aid manufacturers want their HAs to work with as many phones as possible so that they can sell as many as possible. Hearing aid manufacturers will implement Bluetooth 5 when most of their customers have phones which support it. Since older people do not change their phones often and have a high incidence of hearing loss - that is not going to happen in a hurry. Bluetooth 5 capability is only available in high end expensive phones at present. These are not the phones that “older people” traditionally buy. So you can see it is going to take quite a while.

Define “older people”? Ageism much?
I’ve been around the sun a few times as have many other people here. Many here are very technically able. Like I said before, when I’m next ready to possibly update my HA’s then I’ll be looking at all the connectivity options. I prefer to minimize carrying devices.
You seem to be mixing causes and effects. I suspect that when standards are implemented that a wave of upgrades will happen with those “older people”. They’ll look at their phones that can’t do much. They’ll look at new HA’s that have all the connectivity options and they’ll upgrade.

It seems like a lot of people, especially Apple buyers, assume there is some problem MFi solves. MFi looks like a niche solution for a small group of people who have limited connectivity needs. If it works for them and they want that, they should get it, as long as they understand the limitations and what they are giving up.

I had the original Resound Phone Clip in 2011, then the Phone Clip+, and now the Rexton Smart Clip. I’ve had all my laptops and tablets streaming to my hearing aids for music, videos, training sessions, TV, etc. I have a soft phone on work laptops, and my actual office phone connected to my hearing aids. I want everything that produces sound to stream to my hearing aids. And it’s not just a want. I would have a hard time doing webex meetings for hours every day without having hands free office phone streaming to my hearing aids.

Apple people can have these things, of course, but they have to buy the device.

1 Like

I would agree that having a streaming device that is more universal has definite advantages, however a lot of people are adamant that they don’t want to carry another device. For those people, Apple seems to be the best game in town.

I also saw some comments in the code that seemed to imply that the phone would connect to two devices (aids) at the same time. That doesn’t sound like Bluetooth as we know it.

I don’t know if we’re talking about the same thing, but some phones will stream to two devices simultaneously – the newer high-end Galaxy phones, for example. Apparently, at least one phone will stream to four devices simultaneously!

http://www.androidbeat.com/2017/09/moto-x4-can-stream-audio-four-bluetooth-devices-simultaneously/

Interesting device. My interpretation is one stream split 4 ways. What I interpreted out of the comment in the code is one stream to each aid. Anyway, I’m completely out of my depth here, so…

I’m completely out of my depth here

Me, too! :grin:

There’s a chance, from what I’ve read, of some elaboration at Google I/O (Google I/O 2018) from 8-10th of May. Specifically, there’s an ‘accessibility’ session of the 8th.

I am trying to point out that the HA manufacturers see us that way. They are aiming for “everyone” with hearing loss and they look at that demographic and aim for the lowest common denominator. You only have to read their ads, websites and manuals to tell that they do not believe that people with hearing loss have any technical understanding or capability.

Not everyone needs hands free streaming to every device. If you need that then buy the solution that works best for you. A universal solution will come only when the standards applicable to the large majority of devices line up with the HA manufacturers needs for connectivity for their aids. I do believe it will evolve that way but I’m not going to hold my breath waiting.

MFi didn’t come across that well in the HA business. I think a lot of that was that some companies never want to pay an “Apple Premium” for connectivity. Some embraced it quickly and also improved the BT devices at the same time.

Starkey - Resound
Octicon
Signia

That progression included improved BT devices as the added hardware did away with old, dated connection methods.

As for hands free: If you drive a car in the US and don’t have it, you can’t legally use your phone while driving. When governments found they could make tickets a profit center, you’re out several hundred dollars getting caught. The iphone can be hands free if your car is so equipped. That isn’t based on MFi alone. Many connect to iPhone and Android.

Ah I missed this news. Thanks for sharing @menglxs!

Um_bongo,
I find that the if I am within about 2 feet of the iPhone, people can hear me fine. I can talk with phone in shirt pocket or on desk in front of me. I used to wear an Oticon Streamer Plus, and I really do miss the true hands-free operation of making and answering calls with my phone just somewhere within Bluetooth range.

You might try using the Resound PhoneClip in addition to having MFi HAs. It’s an odd use case to use both, but I do something similar:

I have Siemens Signia 312 Pure Nx7s, which are MFi. I also use the StreamLine mic with them some of the time. . You are not really adding a mic to the MFi set-up, you are switching back and forth between using the iPhone MFi connection OR the traditional Bluetooth, you have to choose one or the other at a time, if you want the intermediary device for the mic (outgoing audio), you are also will be using the intermediary device for incoming audio.

My use case: if I know I have a long call and won’t be sitting still, I use the StreamLine mic. Otherwise I default to the MFi mode using the iPhone microphone.

I tell you what would really be nice: I have an Apple Watch on my wrist, (which has a microphone) if I could use that for outgoing audio I would be set…

Happy Hearing!

plus I could look like Maxwell Smart talking to my watch…

1 Like

I’ve been using the ReSound for two plus years and I like them very much. Yes, I carry the phone clip clipped to a very old Day Timer (shirt pocket sized) along side my ReSound mini-mike. Although my wife hates them, they work perfectly for me. I’ve had some trouble getting the timing down for answering the phone – punching the larger button for just the right amount of time, and then waiting for the connection to actually be made – without holding it so long that it rejects the caller. I’m very, very happy with this system! BTW, I carry the Samsung Note 8 in a holster on my belt and never have to touch it for phone calls. Of course, that way I never know who is calling, either. Luck of the draw. I confuse the troops by going around talking with no evidence of anyone listening.

1 Like