The commissioning and first 6 hours with my first ever hearing aids (Jabra Enhance Pro 20) from Costco

My pleasure! I assembled it using information I gathered from this forum! So, it’s really all the contributors who take the time to share their experiences here for the benefits of the other members of the community…

Jim G

1 Like

I’ve had my Jabra 20s for a week. There are two things worth mentioning.

1. The right instrument malfunctioned after 6 days and had to go back to the factory.

2. I’ve learned a lot about the Hear In Noise options, mostly from this video that I recommend for all Jabra 20 buyers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EARIFJL-L8&t=333s

All the folks who work in my local Costco Hearing Center have been excellent.

5 Likes

Good to read a positive plug for the hearing techs at your Costco! Those at my Costco are fine, also!

2 Likes

Well done video. The guy should have mentioned that you don’t have to have the modified copy of the Hear In Noise program named the same as the original Hear in Noise program. IIRC, a copied program can be renamed.

I think all HA users should appreciate that besides your HA technology, where you sit in a restaurant can also be important. Ask the restaurant host for a quiet place, not near the bar or the kitchen. Don’t sit facing the noise, but try to sit with your back to the noise and the people at your table you most want to hear close to you, etc. I’m sure there are also other good tips in the many other forum posts on this topic (remote microphone in reserve?). Just wanted to remind folks that seating strategy can be as important as hearing aid technology (or don’t go to a really noisy restaurant in the first place for that important family or friends gathering! :grinning:).

5 Likes

Great advice Jim, all these little things can make a difference to the night out.

1 Like

Great response.

I have habits from motorcycle days. Back to the wall. Know the way out… :wink: Time to change those so I can hear better.

4 Likes

As a motorcyclist myself, this makes me ask: Exactly what kind of motorcycle club did you ride with?

I recall noticing that certain club members always parked with their motorcycles or cars facing OUT of the parking spaces, not facing the parking bumper or curb. That allowed a quicker getaway when necessary. :slight_smile:

Jim G

3 Likes

This discussion makes me think a new HA feature needs to be paying attention to the emotional content of speech - to give the listener a heads-up warning that it’s time to make a break for the doors and hop on that motorcycle that’s facing away from the curb to make a fast getaway! :joy:

2 Likes

I do wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to alert that speech has high emotional content than it is to remove “background noise.”

2 Likes

No reverse.
But now many geezer glides do have reverse.
Off topic, sorry.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you can’t go as fast in reverse as you can by just peeling out!

Many years ago when about to enter a gun store in Minneapolis, MN, I became concerned when I noticed 4 young men wearing gang colors taking the time to carefully back their lowrider Chevy into a parking space near the gun store’s front door . . .

Jim G

2 Likes

Hey Jim

I was a loner. Little guy. I had dreams of racing. Realized how fast I had to be. Quit.

Loved being in the environment. Part of it.

Jim I was a navy brat. 13 schools by end of grade 8. Coast to coast then down to the States. So being alone was nothing new. And being bullied. Learn to look after yourself through knowing the way out

1 Like

I took a defensive driving course. They emphasized backing in saying it was safer pulling out ahead from a parking spot.

2 Likes

@JimGnitecki
Friends belonged to a club. However our bikes were too small and they wouldn’t let us join!

We were a small fun group. Just a few of us.

They acted more and more like you suggested. Finally they came to us and asked if they could join. We refused saying their bikes were too big!

This was back in mid ‘60s

I’m in Seattle and backing in is required in a lot of public parking for that exact reason. Quite a surprise coming from SoCal but once you get used to it it makes sense :blush:

2 Likes

Why should we care about the convenience of those who open this topic because of the topic title? Our passing thoughts on any topic should be of interest to everyone, right? So…

It’s really windy where I am today. Anyone else hearing the wind today?

My fault. I made a humorous comment that got picked up by others.

Jim G

1 Like

Jim your post is excellent.

I’ve used hearing aids for about 20 years. 1 in the ear then 3 sets of r.i.c. Phonaks.

I’ve used sport lock in all my Phonaks. Maybe 12+ years.
I’m experiencing the same dreaded issue with my Power domes you talk of .I keep pushing them back in and finding out it’s noisier now.

I had stopped using sports locks because I was lazy. I just put them back in.My power domes’ receivers are staying in place and volume is constant.

I found a cause and cure for the power domes slipping out. EAR WAX getting coating onto them makes them just slipepry enough to start sliding out. The cure is to wash the power domes, and for that matter the entire BTE assembles, with Alcohol every night, and let them dry (few minutes given you use Alcohol) before you put them in the charger for the night. I cannot say absolutely NO slippage ever, but the slippage is 90% gone. The reminaing occurences are ALWAYS in only the left ear, which I know has a funny canal shape compared to the right ear canal.

The audi at Costco says the Alcohol won’t hurt the power domes, and even if it did, they are FREE consumables that I replace about every 2 weeks anyway. Just don’t “pour” Alcohol into the microphones. I just wet a regular nose tissue with alcohol and use that. Use a fresh area of alcoholed tissue for each power dome.

Jim G

2 Likes

Thanks Jim. I’ve done that late. This afternoon

Much appreciated

DaveL