Television background audio

I’ve noticed while watching television (not streaming the audio) background noise covers up speech. For instance:

I tend to watch a lot of crime/drama (Chicago Fire/Chicago P.D.) and sometimes there is music in the background while actors are talking

During live MLB or NFL games the roar of the crowd or other stadium noise tend to over ride the announcers.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice this?

I’ve tried to manipulate the settings in the Television program via Phonak app but no success.

Perhaps some other fine tuning needs to be done.

If you resolved this please share.

TIA

2 Likes

This article describes how Prime Video added a Dialog Boost setting to selectively amplify voices. I keep forgetting to look for it when I watch. It also mentions some settings that your TV might have to help.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a natural thing, as in its exactly like that in real time at the arena or stadium, in some TVs you get a setting for " clear voice" that “helps” as @kev716 has mentioned.

1 Like

OK, I totally GET that issue you’re having! On top of the ambient NOISE throughout these shows, actors often talk rapid-fire or mutter at a low volume as if compelling us to LEAN IN and strain to hear what’s being said.

All I can say is that having a TV streamer is THE SOLUTION, bar none! I’ve had great success with Phonak Marvel aids + the TV Connector and now with Phonak Lumity Life aids + Roger ON iN connector (a clever device that actually does more than just stream TV shows).

The key for me is to turn the volume UP on my aids to the point where the connected device completely takes over - there is NO ambient noise in the room, and despite the noise in the shows and mumbled dialogue I get about 95+% of what’s being said. So much so, that at least a few times per program, my NORMAL hearing hubs asks me what’s been said.

So I have to ask: do you have a TV streamer? Cuz if you wear aids, I think it’s a great total solution for hearing everything from the daily news, to movies, to sports events, or any other show broadcast.

One benefit of my newer Roger ON iN streamer (for Phonak aids) is that I can hear the TV even in a totally different room, so I can clean dishes, prep dinner and get EVERY single word. I could not do that with the older model TV Connector - the range wasn’t as far.

My resolution is get a TV streaming device that is compatible with your aids (if you wear them?). Makes a WORLD of difference.

1 Like

Indeed- HAs just sound horrible when transmitting sound coming from speakers in general, and sound engineers tend to overamplify “background”. The Phonak TV-streamer is great, or use Bluetooth, if you do not mind the lag (causing possible echo from a concomitant ambient signal) and higher HA power consumption.

1 Like

I have an audio system with Left, Right, Center and Subwoofer. I find that most of the dialog, especially for sports, comes from the center channel (so I boost that). There have been threads on here about doing a similar thing with a Sound Bar, which is probably you best option for enhancing dialog in your room. Not all sound bars are created equal, so check those threads first.

1 Like

This post contains some really helpful nuggets. Thank you.