Target 7.1 Help -- Error -- 'Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation'

So has anyone ran into this error with Target 7.1? Any clues on how to fix this?

This is on a clean/fresh install of Windows 10 with a new Noahlink Wireless attached, and the HAs connected.

I can do anything I want with a session without the HAs connected, but when connected, when I navigate to ‘Program Options’ or to the AudiogramDirect page and back - this error pops up. Choosing to ‘Continue Phonak Target’ generates the second popup stating that Phonak Target is unstable…

I can repeat this as many times as I have the patience for – Phonak never ‘crashes’ but I just keep getting these errors… Simply changing options, playing with the fitting curves, etc causes the error…

So, obviously I’m quite hesitant to save a fitting to the HAs.

– When initially connecting I notice that it always hangs in the ‘checking receiver’ phase on the left ear, and does a re-connect on the left ear HA. (The left is the bluetooth dominant one, but not sure if that’s coincidence)

I have reinstalled Target a few times – I even moved to a new fresh Windows 10 installation – the error is still is there.

My only thoughts are that I have a bad Noahlink Wireless, but that seems a little far fetched.
Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

What does the error report say, check that to begin with.

No, never happend to me (until now).
Target creates log files while the program runs. They are stored in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\Phonak\Phonak Target\Phonak Target\Log
This may help to locate the problem. You can PM them to me if you like. I wonder if I’m able to find something.
Please zip the folder contents, and make sure its not too large to be sent. Some of the files are numbered, only the latest ones are needed.

For anyone who may know how to interpret what the cause of these exception fails are – here’s a snippet of the two exceptions from the Error.log
– first, the left-receiver check fail
– second, the changing options in the UI fail
(though without knowing the code it’s hard to see from these what a fix might be)

2021-04-14 10:54:17.664 -05:00 [ERR] #001 Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.Fitting.GlobalFitting.Workflows.CheckReceiverWorkflow: “TestReceiver actions failed”
Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.Common.Exceptions.BinauralAggregateException: A binaural aggregate exception occured.
Left: System.Threading.BarrierPostPhaseException: The postPhaseAction failed with an exception. —> System.InvalidOperationException: ChannelSynchronization already enabled for at least one channel.
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ProtocolStackSynchronizationContext…ctor(IProtocolStack protocolStackOne, IProtocolStack protocolStackTwo)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ParallelSynchronizedMode.EnableRemoteExecutionMode(IProtocolStack leftProtocolStack, IProtocolStack rightProtocolStack, IFittingDeviceManager fittingDeviceManager)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ParallelSynchronizedMode…ctor(SideCollection1 connectedDevices, IFittingDeviceManager fittingDeviceManager) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralReceiverMeasurementService.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<MeasureReceiversInternal>b__2() at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.BinauralActionHelper.EnableSynchronizedParallelExecution(Func1 createSynchronizationToken)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass3_01.<ForEachParallel>b__1(Barrier b) at System.Threading.Barrier.InvokePostPhaseAction(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.Barrier.FinishPhase(Boolean observedSense) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Barrier.SignalAndWait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.SideAction[TValue](Side side, TValue value, Barrier locksObtainedBarrier, Action2 sideAction, Barrier actionsCompletedBarrier, IBinauralActionSideHelper sideHelper)

Right: System.Threading.BarrierPostPhaseException: The postPhaseAction failed with an exception. —> System.InvalidOperationException: ChannelSynchronization already enabled for at least one channel.
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ProtocolStackSynchronizationContext…ctor(IProtocolStack protocolStackOne, IProtocolStack protocolStackTwo)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ParallelSynchronizedMode.EnableRemoteExecutionMode(IProtocolStack leftProtocolStack, IProtocolStack rightProtocolStack, IFittingDeviceManager fittingDeviceManager)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ParallelSynchronizedMode…ctor(SideCollection1 connectedDevices, IFittingDeviceManager fittingDeviceManager) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralReceiverMeasurementService.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<MeasureReceiversInternal>b__2() at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.BinauralActionHelper.EnableSynchronizedParallelExecution(Func1 createSynchronizationToken)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass3_01.<ForEachParallel>b__1(Barrier b) at System.Threading.Barrier.InvokePostPhaseAction(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.Barrier.FinishPhase(Boolean observedSense) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Barrier.FinishPhase(Boolean observedSense) at System.Threading.Barrier.SignalAndWait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.SideAction[TValue](Side side, TValue value, Barrier locksObtainedBarrier, Action2 sideAction, Barrier actionsCompletedBarrier, IBinauralActionSideHelper sideHelper)

Server stack trace:
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.BinauralActionHelper.EvaluateAndThrowIfAggregateExceptionOccured()
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.ForEachParallel[TValue](SideCollection1 sideCollection, Func2 getLockingToken, Action2 sideAction, IBinauralActionHelper binauralActionHelper, IStepUpdate stepUpdate, Func1 createSynchronizationToken)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralReceiverMeasurementService.MeasureReceiversInternal(SideCollection1 receiverIdTestRanges, Boolean restoreOriginalMuteState) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralReceiverMeasurementService.MeasureReceiversAndSetMuteStates(SideCollection1 receiverIdTestRanges)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.IBinauralReceiverMeasurementService.MeasureReceiversAndSetMuteStates(SideCollection1 receiverIdTestRanges) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.CoreServices.Palio.ReceiverIdService.TestReceiver(SideCollection1 connectedDevices, SideCollection1 receivers, Boolean forceRestoreMuteState) at Sonova.Chinook.Application.AppServices.Communication.HiActions.AppReceiverIdService.TestReceiver(Sides sides, SideCollection1 receivers, ICommunicationHearingSystem communicationHearingSystem)
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.Fitting.GlobalFitting.Workflows.CheckReceiverWorkflow.CheckReceiverTask(IBackgroundTaskUpdate arg)
at Sonova.General.Presentation.Threading.Internal.BackgroundTask.RunOriginalTaskHandler(IBackgroundTaskUpdate taskUpdate)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at System.Func`2.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at Sonova.General.Presentation.Threading.Internal.BackgroundTask.EndTaskTResult
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.Fitting.GlobalFitting.Workflows.CheckReceiverWorkflow.DoRunInternal()

2021-04-14 10:54:23.447 -05:00 [FTL] #001 Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.General.ExceptionHandlingService: “Unhandled UI thread exception occurred.”
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.Common.Exceptions.BinauralAggregateException: A binaural aggregate exception occured.
Left: System.Threading.BarrierPostPhaseException: The postPhaseAction failed with an exception. —> System.InvalidOperationException: ChannelSynchronization already enabled for at least one channel.
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ParallelSynchronizedMode…ctor(SideCollection1 connectedDevices, IFittingDeviceManager fittingDeviceManager) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralFittingService.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<ActivateProgramInternal>b__2() at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.BinauralActionHelper.EnableSynchronizedParallelExecution(Func1 createSynchronizationToken)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass3_01.<ForEachParallel>b__1(Barrier b) at System.Threading.Barrier.InvokePostPhaseAction(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.Barrier.FinishPhase(Boolean observedSense) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Barrier.SignalAndWait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.SideAction[TValue](Side side, TValue value, Barrier locksObtainedBarrier, Action2 sideAction, Barrier actionsCompletedBarrier, IBinauralActionSideHelper sideHelper)

Right: System.Threading.BarrierPostPhaseException: The postPhaseAction failed with an exception. —> System.InvalidOperationException: ChannelSynchronization already enabled for at least one channel.
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.ChannelSynchronization.ParallelSynchronizedMode…ctor(SideCollection1 connectedDevices, IFittingDeviceManager fittingDeviceManager) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralFittingService.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<ActivateProgramInternal>b__2() at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.BinauralActionHelper.EnableSynchronizedParallelExecution(Func1 createSynchronizationToken)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass3_01.<ForEachParallel>b__1(Barrier b) at System.Threading.Barrier.InvokePostPhaseAction(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.Barrier.FinishPhase(Boolean observedSense) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Barrier.FinishPhase(Boolean observedSense) at System.Threading.Barrier.SignalAndWait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.SideAction[TValue](Side side, TValue value, Barrier locksObtainedBarrier, Action2 sideAction, Barrier actionsCompletedBarrier, IBinauralActionSideHelper sideHelper)

Server stack trace:
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.BinauralActionHelper.EvaluateAndThrowIfAggregateExceptionOccured()
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.Common.ParallelExecutor.ForEachParallel[TValue](SideCollection1 sideCollection, Func2 getLockingToken, Action2 sideAction, IBinauralActionHelper binauralActionHelper, IStepUpdate stepUpdate, Func1 createSynchronizationToken)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralFittingService.ActivateProgramInternal(SideCollection1 devicesToPerformOn, IBinauralActionHelper binauralActionHelper, SideCollection1 programs)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.BinauralFittingService.ActivateProgram(ActionSide onSides, SideCollection`1 programs, ITaskUpdate taskUpdate)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Sonova.Chinook.Core.DeviceAbstraction.Palio.Communication.HearingSystem.BinauralServices.IBinauralFittingService.ActivateProgram(ActionSide onSides, SideCollection`1 programs, ITaskUpdate taskUpdate)
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.AppServices.Communication.Activation.ActivationNode.DoActivate(ActivationData activationData, ICommunicationHearingSystem communicationHearingSystem, ICommunicationTaskUpdate taskUpdate, ActionSide remainingSidesToActivate, ActivationResults activationResults)
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.AppServices.Communication.Activation.ActivationNode.Activate(ActivationData activationData, ICommunicationHearingSystem communicationHearingSystem, IHearingSystem hearingSystem, ICommunicationTaskUpdate taskUpdate, IDomainTransaction lockTransaction)
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.AppServices.Communication.Activation.ActivationNode.TryActivate(ICommunicationHearingSystem communicationHearingSystem, Action lockTransactionEnteredCallback, ActivationData activationData, ICommunicationTaskUpdate taskUpdate)
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.Fitting.Communication.Activation.ActivationService.Activate(IBackgroundTaskUpdate taskUpdate)
at Sonova.General.Presentation.Threading.Internal.BackgroundTask.RunOriginalTaskHandler(IBackgroundTaskUpdate taskUpdate)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at System.Func`2.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at Sonova.General.Presentation.Threading.Internal.BackgroundTask.EndTaskTResult
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.Fitting.Communication.Activation.ActivationService.ActivateFinished(IFinishedBackgroundTask finishedTask)
at Sonova.Chinook.Application.BusinessServices.Communication.Internal.CommunicationTask.BackgroundTaskFinished(IFinishedBackgroundTask finishedTask)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

1 Like

Tanks for the log-files you sent.
I had a long look at them, there’s nothing obvious.
I compared the files also with the ones at my PC. [Err]s seem to happen also in my installation quite often without any resulting problems (as far as I know…)

Sorry, I’m afraid I cannot help and as you wrote: without knowing the code…

yeah… it’s pretty cryptic –

I’m buying another Noahlink Wireless – maybe that’s the problem…

or – maybe there’s no harm and it’ll program the HAs anyway… (yikes)

Thanks for the attempt though!!

No don’t do that yet, why don’t you install target on another device first, as it could be drivers or .NET Framework prerequisites or SQL Server type errors that are causing this, try another PC and see what happens.

1 Like

tenkan- that was an excellent suggestion… …but…

Installed Target 7.1 on second Windows 10 machine, which has a relatively new and clean Windows 10 install as well. (One Dell and One Lenvo… – both are laptops though)

Same exact behavior…

left side ‘checking receiver’ error…
and it throws the same exception error the same way…

… it has to be the Noahlink Wireless…

unless someone has more thoughts …

I should receive a new Noahlink Wireless tomorrow (though perhaps Amazon isn’t the best place to buy such things?) – will update the forum with results (just in case anyone else has the problem at some point)

Thanks!

Ok so I’m thinking you can try swapping the receivers over on your HAs, to see if somehow it’s the HA that’s causing the issue.

I’m not so sure with this, I don’t think anyone has actually found a faulty Noahlink as yet, you could be the first

Have you considered that your target software files are corrupt?

1 Like

I considered that –
I have started w/ a Target 6 installation and upgraded… as well as starting w/ Target 7.1 to begin with – both seemed to have the issue.

but… 7.07 is worth a try…

I found in my log-files many [Err]s back in the time when I started with Noahlink/Paradise. Some also in connection with checking the recievers. Although I never had this pop-up-message like yours. But I remember that I lost connection often then.
I had to move the Noahlink closer to me, actually I have it now between keyboard and screen. I also connected the Noahlink without any USB-Hubs in between directly to the PC.
It helped in my case and it might be worth a try for you.

As it turns out – I had an Audi appointment this morning…

Sure enough when the Audi tried to connect the left HA generated that error… she stopped at this point and didn’t go further… she tried several things including a factory reset on the HAs…

Then, she got it working, and moved on…
I asked her later what was wrong and she explained that she had never seen that before, but that one of the receivers appeared to need to be replaced – she had replaced both receivers and fixed the problem.

Another note – though I had never ‘saved’ anything back to the HAs – I had read them into a session to look at my settings etc… They did present that starting message which tells her that the date-code had changed – The “read from HAs or read from session” message… interesting.

So I wonder – is it possible to mess up a receiver by connecting to the HAs? Or was it just a coincidence, that one of the receivers ‘went bad’?

I have yet to try to reconnect to them – but I presume that receiver problem was the issue.

1 Like

Actually you could of done this as well, so good for you to know.

Yeah, this is why I mentioned for you to swap the receivers over, still a bit strange tho.

Yeah as soon as you connect, the time stamp changes,

Nope I can’t see how this would be possible, coincidence I would say.

Try it and let us know how you get on, as it’s a very interesting issue that you have encountered.

1 Like

BTW … as a point of curiosity and preparedness and self-sufficiency …

Is there a good source of receivers and domes, at lowest prices – for example above should I have wanted to replace the receivers myself.

I see Phonak Marvel (M) receivers, but no Paradise § receivers via a google search at just under $100 each… pricey!

Target 7.1 read of the hearing aids tells us what receivers and domes are installed so getting the info on what to get is easy.

(though presumably one shouldn’t have to replace these normally)

I looked at my local e-supplier (link) and found Phonak Marvel receivers 4.0 for about 30€/side. That’s 60€/pair. However, I didn’t find special Paradise receivers, while they do offer Paradise HA’s. Are you sure that the Paradise line introduced new receivers?

Update–

yep, just loaded my latest fitting from the Audi into Target and tweaked a couple of things she just hasn’t wanted to play with. It works great with the new receivers – connects immediately!

So – anytime one sees a receiver connection problem — it’s probably a real a receiver problem!
And if you continue – Target will thrown exceptions when trying to do most anything…

new receiver – works great!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts during the debug… maybe this info will help someone else who happens across a ‘bad’ receiver…

1 Like

Great!
And thanks for the update. Good to know!

The Marvel and Paradise use the same receivers, yep definitely overpriced, just like their HAs (unless of course you use Costco)

can you buy just the receivers at Costco?
hmmm… use the K-9/K-10 receivers on the Phonak P90…

there’s an idea – if they’re cheaper, and will sell someone just the receivers