Switching from Acrylic Ear Mold to Silicone

Are there any hard core acrylic ear mold users here (full shell) that switched over to silicone ear molds? I’ve always felt hard shell molds just felt better but was told silicone molds are better for someone with a serious hearing loss. Just wondering if silicone molds do a better job of eliminating feedback, versus acrylic molds. You do get used to a certain type ear mold year after year but maybe switching to silicone is not the end of the world.

Customized soft silicone earmolds are 3D printed. The use of soft silicone material allows for a more snug fit to the walls of the ear canal, recommended for severe hearing loss in combination with devices that do not have the function of suppressing the “whistle” feedback. However, in general, silicone gives a more muffled sound, and the ear under such an insert inevitably sweats. In addition, the material contains micropores, making it more difficult to clean up biological contaminants that can serve as a beneficial breeding ground for bacteria

1 Like

I have no issues with silicone earmolds (they also work for me coming from someone who’s allergic to other material)

1 Like

I used only acrylic for many years. I didn’t think I would like the silicone. Over time the acrylic were no longer working as well for me and I was getting a lot of feedback. The silicone were surprisingly comfortable and the sound was better when I finally made the switch.

I love my silicone based HA molds, but see that they have become opaque. Your comment about micropores is interesting. How do you clean them and is it possible to remove the discoloration that also occurs?

I wore acrylic molds for years, but recently switched to silicone and love them. My audio thought they would not be best for my moderately severe high frequency loss, but I actually hear better with well vented silicone molds and they are much more comfortable to wear all day. There is some discoloration with time, but that doesn’t bother me.

2 Likes

Here’s a shot of my LH Oticon MicroMold: hard as a bullet, and as smooth as a billiard ball. No bacteria can live in it, and no sound can leak around it, because it fits tightly into my ear canal. It slips snugly into place, and is so comfortable that I can wear my HAs for 16+ hours a day with no discomfort.

I realize that this thread is about silicone molds - but not everyone can wear them (or wants to, as is the case with me). So … why am I posting this here?

I’m posting this for those who contend that they must switch to silicone because their acrylic moulds are painful or uncomfortable to wear all day. If that’s the case, I see 2 solutions:

1. Get silicone moulds, or
  2. Persist in having your audiologist cast new acrylic moulds until they fit properly.

Certainly, if you simply prefer the feel of silicone, go with your preference - but I don’t believe that one should be obligated to make the switch because the lab can’t cast an acrylic mould that fits properly.

My unsolicited $0.02 on acrylic moulds, FWIW.

1 Like

My audiologist recommended we go with silicone moulds from the start stating that in her experience it was difficult to get an acrylic mould to work given my small ear canals.

It has been a challenge to get a workable ear mould even in silicone. I am now on my 5th set, having tried 2 different manufacturers! Picked the new ones up this morning. Fingers crossed.

Jim

I hope they’ll work for you, Jim - I know you’ve been trying for long enough.

Your audi’s comments on getting good acrylic moulds puzzles me, though. I’ve hav 4 sets of acrylics cast in the past 14 years, and all of them fit perfectly on the first try. (And I don’t think my ear chanels are particularly large.)

I don’t think it is a matter of needing particularly large eat canals to get a good fit with acrylic. It is that mine are PARTICULARLY SMALL! That apparently is where the challenge lies.

Jim

Just warm soapy water is all that is needed, dry them overnight.

No unfortunately it’s not possible, when they get pretty bad its time for new ones, don’t use bleach or any other cleaning products,these will break down the silicone overtime.

1 Like

:flushed:I’m going to have to stop reading ear mould and ear wax threads!

(I’m finding myself staring at peoples’ ear holes in the grocery store and pharmacy!)

4 Likes

ha ha, how this make me laugh!

[:pleading_face:It’s funny, but true! I swear!]

I am going to switch from hard acrylic mold to silicone, my audio told me the silicone could either have a wax stick or not have one; have you ever heard about that.
Peter

@user299: Welcome to the Forum!

What is a “wax stick”? Please explain, because I’ve never heard of this.

Yet another dumb question from me: how can I tell if I have acrylic or silicone moulds? *** Mine are clear. AND: if I finally pony up the dough and buy the dedicated Signia charger/dryer with UV (WAY too expensive) will the UV damage the mould? I don’t care if it discolors it.

***and do the esteemed members here prefer ‘mold’ or ‘mould’?

@jeffrey: Moulde is my choice

Well, I myself put the ‘old’ in ‘mold’…so that seems appropriate.

I’m guessing that Spud likes his cheese *bleu’ and his mold…a la Francaise! Oooh la-la!

It’s easy to tell, acrylic is hard and silicone is soft.

3 Likes