Successful project to make a DIY CS44A Phonak programming cable

As I understand it, he meant simply another way to do basically what you did: cut the serial cable and splice it back together again, swapping two wires before splicing; but he’s using the modular connectors to do the splice via (I assume) a coupler, instead of soldering. The ends of the cable wouldn’t be involved in the modification.

Whether it’d be easier than soldering is an open question, depending on how difficult it’d be to get the four wires into the each RJ45 connector properly before crimping.

If I do it that way and get it working I’ll be happy to post a pic! (I won’t be starting this project for at least a week or two, but all the gear is ordered.)

Thanks for this clear tutorial, got mine working fine but one of two ‘equal’ cables did not have the correct number of wires so I had to cut open the connector to fix this (I wasn’t in the mood to buy and wait for new, possibly correct cable).

I notice that I haven’t followed through with posting a pic. If anybody’s really hot to see a cable with a couple of RJ45 connectors in the middle plugged into a coupler, let me know. I tested the cables with a VOM, but am not actually using them because, as noted in another thread, immediately after making them I discovered that my current-model Phonaks require CS44 cables, not CS44a.

Yes I’m curious to see a picture of your variant CS44a cables. Read further down in this thread for discussion about whether to use CS44 or CS44a cables for Phonak Venture sereies…

OK, but it’ll have to wait a while – the cables are at home and I’m on an extended trip.

I have just created the Adapters for to create from a standard CS44 one Phonak CS44a cable
And I succeeded and can definitely say that my Phonaks Ventures still use CS44a.
Exactly the way Phonak suggest it inside Target help cable guide.

So may you American folks got some special Phonak series.

Yikes!! That means either you or brec has some wires crossed.

I verified that the Target 4.1 Help Cable Guide does indeed specify CS44 (Phonak Version) 058-0255 cables (meaning CS44a). The same cables are listed for both AudeoQ/Quest and AudeoV/Venture.

Hmmmmm; I’m wondering if brec’s cables that he thinks are CS44 cables are actually CS44a cables…
CS44 cable + DIY adapter would work for Phonak.
CS44a cable + DIY adapter would NOT work for Phonak.

I suppose it’s possible. The eBay listing said “CS44”.

I’m still on an extended trip, and while I have the cables with me, I don’t have a VOM else I could test them pretty quick. Or maybe not: the HA end of the cable is very tiny.

I have in the mean time verify my cables with one other older set of Phonaks with Spice series and connected to them successfully.
So I can say Spice and Venture uses the same Programming Cables !

Here 'tis:

1 Like

I like em!

Does the Hi-pro box do anything or is it just an adaptor from USB to what looks like old style keyboard plugs?

If the Hi-pro is required where do yet get one and how much?

never mind

I applied $5.12 to an eBay vendor in China for a pair of the PS2 cables. That princely sum included shipping which took seventeen days to here in New York.

The construction of these adapter cables allowed me to save $45 or so and use my Phonak CS44a cables to program for Oticon which uses CS44 cables.

I felt it was a good way to use tech skills to save money.

Good work!!

Oh, you should share your source for the PS2 Mini-DIN cables as links to a source with six wires tend to be hard to find.

Link will degenerate over time of course and the internal colors of the wires is different from those cables described earlier in this thread. In this case it is yellow and black that get crossed.

There is no foil shielding in the wire, instead the ground is handled by a brown wire.

Just Go Wireless!! NoahLink.

Well you can’t use Noahlink Wireless for everything. For Example, Oticon Opn Firmware updates.

I agree. Signia also needs wires for firmware. Given the few times you need it, take it in. Wireless is really easy and reliable.

Yep, that works when you have someone friendly who will save you current hearing aid/HA programming, then apply the Firmware updates which wipes out your HA programming, and finally reapply the original HA programming. Though some of us are without that type of support and must do these things alone.