Streaming from Windows 10 desktop? How?

My first BT hearing aids were Phonak Marvels. I returned them when I found they could only be paired with one device, they frequently disconnected from my laptop and audio quality from the microphone was not acceptable for the people I was having conversations with. I understand Phonak has resolved some of these problems, at least partially, such as the pairing problem, but I haven’t kept up on the product. The Marvels I had did not use BLE. They used BT Classic.

Actually phonak Marvel, paradise, and lumity all uses BT classic… I don’t know why are you thinking your phonak paradise or lumiity is using BT LE…

Yeah that was a bit of a disappointment, but they fixed that not that long after they released Marvel with a firmware update.

Yes they used 4.2 classic and I believe LE for the App and tv connecter, they called it “Airstream” or something similar.

2 Likes

I believe you are quoting me in error. I don’t have Phonak hearing aids and I never said they use BLE.

Aside from the BT Classic for audio to phones or laptops, the rest is the same as Opn * and More. They use BLE for the app and the TV box, whatever it’s called.

1 Like

I realized that now, sorry, was confusing for a different person.

1 Like

It worked though. They’ve sold like hotcakes.

2 Likes

Plenty of people have said they get a full day even with much streaming. A relative handful of people say it won’t work for them. Since we don’t have any definitive numbers, I’ll go by the sales popularity which is undeniable. I’m at over 3 years of being able to connect to everything I want. Not interested in having to wait that time plus more years for the perfect.

3 Likes

If they work for you, that’s great. Phonak’s choice to use BT Classic worked for them and that’s probably all they care about. Maybe it’s because I was an early adopter, but I really disliked the Marvels because the connectivity was so unreliable and the single pairing was a show-stopper. I asked them if they would commit to fix the problems and they said no, so I said good bye.

I’ve been mostly happy with the decision, although I’m experiencing another round of early adopter grief with the Oticon More hearing aids. I’ve used my Opn S hearing aids more than the More hearing aids since I bought them. Perhaps they should called Less.

It runs a different OS than their mobile devices. Likely the expenses to design and include that would not increase their profit or market share.

1 Like

Their stated charge length is significantly shorter than the competition. If it were longer I might have ordered them instead of Oticon.

Remember that Desktop OS have a completely different team of people that are responsible for making it happen… they rejected the proposal in their company. to use a non standard protocol because macos is a standard based OS… It follows a lot of standard like POSIX /BT/USB etc…

And BTLE has been a standard for over 10 years v

1 Like

Yes but BTLE proprietary extension for audio streaming (MFI / ASHA) is not standard

1 Like

You mean not an open standard. Apple has certainly made MFi a standard used by several companies.

It is not even a standard because one company have control over the entire thing…

Tell that to people and companies using Microsoft’s standards.

Microsoft has a proprietary communications protocol?

no, i think he is talking about Internet explorer’s Embrace, extend, and extinguish - Wikipedia

1 Like

Someone may have mentioned this below, but I didn’t wade through all the messages to find out. There is an app called AudioRelay that is installed on your Win10 PC and your Android phone (may be available for iPhone, too) that allows you to stream from your PC to your hearing aids. Someone on this board told me about it a few months ago, and it works with my Philips 9030 Costco aids. And it’s free.

2 Likes