Streamers for Phonak and Signia

The purchase of a new TV and the resulting kerfuffle getting two streamers to work has prompted me to ask about aftermarket streamers. The streamers we have, one for my Phonak aids and one for my wife’s Signia set are working (now) after I figured out how to daisy-chain the two sets off one optical port but I am reminded of the feature I don’t like and I want to find something better.
My complaint is that when my Phonak streamer is in use I can hear nothing else (except a Phone call which overrides the streamer) unless I drop the volume 3 or 4 notches. I would not be aware of a knock at the door, for instance, nor can I talk to anyone without turning off the streamer. This is quite difficult as I have to hoist myself out of my chair and cross the room to where the streamer is to adjust the volume or shut it off.
Can anyone here recommend an alternative streamer that has more convenient features?

Darrell McDonald,
Welland Ontario.

You can’t change the program on your HAs to normal? Long press up on either HA’s up end of the rocker and I’m in normal. I have to do that about 6 times to get back to the streamer, or go to the app.

WH

1 Like

Yes, using the buttons on a Phonak hearing aid being used with TVConnect should do what you want. “Decreasing volume” by pushing a down buton in reality give you more sound from your hearing aid microphones.

Any cheap Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter on Amazon will work

They are about 20 each.

Then any sound item that has a 3.5mm output jack, you plug it into its headphone jack.

Then it streams to the hearing aids.

There is no need to buy the expensive phonak accessory.

You can stream to 2 different hearing aids at the same time from one sound device.

After you pair the first ones, typically you double push the button on the bluetooth streamer and it lets you pair a second device.

This is an easy $99 fix with Costco KS-10 accessories suitable for Phonak, Get he Easy Link button control for all programs and volume. You can instantly turn TV volume stream off and be at automatic setting.

Easy Line™ Remote Control

The default settings for phonak hearing aids is to attenuate the hearing aid microphones a bit when using the TV connector. Have your clinician turn that off.

Well well well! This is the best group to which I have belonged, Five responses overnight and all of them right on the mark. I will try the easiest first but the Easy Link control sounds ideal. It will be perfect if it will also instantly kill the screaming commercials. Next, I will visit my provider and ask them why they have not brought these to my attention. Really, I have had almost no instruction from them and for several years,now, have simply avoided TV. It may be time to look around when next I’m eligible to have this set replaced.

@fussyoldfart

But the EasyLink remote will have to be linked to your Aids so will have to visit audiologist.

Why don’t you try @Neville suggestion as it’ll be a lot cheaper.

I solved the problem a different way. I presently use a small bone conduction clip attached behind my head and above my ears to listen to audio equipment (like the TV, my computer, etc.) via bluetooth, and leave my hearing aids set to pick up conversation and sounds in the room. It’s so lightweight I forget I’m wearing it and it seems to have a longer range before disconnecting when I head for the kitchen or the bathroom.
And I don’t miss any sounds or conversation in the room because my hearing aids are listening for them and not to the TV or stereo or computer.

Any bluetooth streamer will work, but from what I’ve read it will have a noticeable delay. Noticeable to some and not a bother to others. That is the benefit to the Phonak streamer, it uses different protocol than bluetooth and is optimized for streaming in real time.

Absolutely no delay. Just an upsell myth.

I have 3 different streamer brands, all cheap.

That is great for you. I tried one yesterday as I have bluetooth transmitters for the stereo and 2nd tv, I had a noticeable delay. And this is with a Fosi higher end (ie. not $20) bluetooth transmitter. But with the Phonak it is perfect. Just wanted the OP to know there is a possible difference. Glad you’ve found a solution and it works.

1 Like

I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems this way to me: The power used by my HAs is much more when I BT stream than when I use a roger mic or a TV Connector. Does anyone else see this?

WH

There will ALWAYS be a delay of when you are amplifying the signal.

But straight out no amp there is no delay.

You must be running a fosi amplifier transmitter.

You don’t need to amplify bluetooth going to the phonak.

Yes absolutely, this is the case, direct stream with Bluetooth classic will always use a bit more power, the TV Connecter is Airstream, basically LE Bluetooth so uses a lot less.

1 Like

It’s been reported numerous times here on this forum, that there’s a noticeable lip sync delay when using those Bluetooth dongles, so just out of curiosity, what dongles are you using, also what TV do you use, as some TVs allow for lip sync adjustments in the settings.

They are not branded they are so cheap.

But any more expensive ones will have an amplifier built in. Usually 30 and up range. While you think you are buying a better one when your spend more, that’s not the case with Bluetooth.

When you start amplifying sound, it processes the sound which will cause a delay when processing.

You need the cheapest dongle you can find, sub 20 dollars.

Those do not have amplifiers.

1 Like