Stereo music via hearing aids

Looking for recommendations regarding hearing aids and music piped to them from a smart device.
After so many years of HA’s and with the family gone on vacation, I’ve rediscovered “The Blues”. I can’t believe I’ve not done this before. Wonderful sound on my Costco KS8’s via my Iphone. Unfortunately my HA’s are shot and I need new ones. I’m about to go to a fitter to compare with Costco prices. Prior to that, I thought I’d ask if there’s much difference between manufacturers regarding the stereo sound for music from a smart device. Are there other, better ways to listen to music? Through some other blue tooth device.

The various ReSound hearing aids I’ve used over the years are not great at sound fidelity with music coming into them over Bluetooth. I would describe the sound as tinny, 78 rpm without the crackle. Remember, hearing aids are designed for speech, not music.

I personally prefer to remove the aids and use AirPods Pro when streaming music via Bluetooth. When streaming over an iPhone, I can customize the sound to approximate my audiogram on the AirPods:

There are probably other ways to accomplish similar objectives with other devices. Or you can just wear open air or closed, noise reduction headphones for good music reproduction and use equalizer tone controls to make them sound better.

Obviously it’s vitally important to keep the volume turned down, never more than moderate, when using earbuds or headphones, so you’re not causing additional permanent hearing loss.

There are some suggestions at the thread here for us “audiophiles”.

The easiest, hands-free streaming I have going on now is with my Phonak Lumity Life aids paired + connected to my Samsung Flip4 cell phone. It’s pretty awesome! But for flights or longer listening pleasure, I hook things up to a portable Astell Kern music player - excellent fidelity. I carry a small battery for the Astell Kern.

Perhaps others here will chime in with what works for them?

I have the Audeo Lumity L90; and I have never heard music sound this good. I have had hearing loss since I was a kid, and Phonak gave me back an appreciation for music.

4 Likes

@Kado
I’m with you :heart: … I am using the P90’s … As good as my sony WH-1000XM4 head set but not quite as much base. (they are known to be heavy on the base)

True, but the bass resonates inside your head with the HAs. Totally different experience. It also comes down to what domes you’re using.

Exactly. I was surprised to hear a lot of bass sounds via bluetooth with my phonak paradise p30 up hearing aids. Is this bass sound exprerience the same as what normal hearing people hear when listening to the music? I cannot get the same bass experience if I listen to music via phone speaker

HOOOOORAY!!! I’m with ya on that one. Come to think of it, I’ve never enjoyed stress-free speech clarity this good either.

Yeah, it’s nice to not say “huh” every two minutes!

I actually just posted a comment today about the Costco Jabra hearing aids having reasonable sound quality with good stereo separation. But they are my second set (same type) due to replacement. The first set did not play in stereo very well. I’m guessing it was a tuning issue on the first set.