Static noise when streaming calls with iPhone 11 and Phonak Marvel

Hello Folks, I’m having a problem with streaming calls with my new iphone 11 and am wondering if anyone else has seen this, or maybe its just my phone.The phone software is up to date (iOS 13.7) anyway the problem is that when I make or receive a call while streaming to my hearing aids (Phonak m-90) I hear a lot of noise, or maybe static is a better way to explain it. I didn’t have this problem with my older phone (iphone 6) also the hearing aids firmware is up to date. Thanks for any help / ideas

1 Like

I have iPhone 7 with the Oticon OPNS aids and have no issues. I know the marvels use classic Bluetooth while Oticon uses MFI but. Would try forgetting the aids pairing again after a reboot of the iPhone

I have Costco KS9 hearing aids (Phonak made). I’m experiencing a similar issue. Search for a thread I started “KS9 bad connection on phone calls”.

No solution yet for my issue. I believe it may be related to iphones 8 and newer having Bluetooth 5.0. Phonak marvel & ks9 use Bluetooth 4.2. Everything I have found 5.0 is backwards compatible to 4.2.

I have not updated my thread but the static is back on my hearing aid phone calls. I just went back to my 2016 iPhone se to see if static issue is related to new iPhone se 2020.

If you find a solution please post.

I opened a ticket with Apple on this issue. Check my thread for updates.

It turned out in my case that the problem was with my cell phone booster (zboost) was too close to my printer,and computer. I never had a problem with my iphone 6 but sure enough when I moved it away all is good with me making and receiving calls.

So I was recently fitted with the Audeo M90-13T and have been experiencing crackling with my Android phone as well during bluetooth phone calls, via Roger there were no issues whatsoever. I just got back from the audiologist and they checked with Phonak. We were advised to try to change the connecting hearing aid to the other side (it’s the right HA) by default and then to try with another device. I tried with an iPhone and the issue was still there. Now I have been told the HAs are faulty and that I will be issued new ones.

I am having the same problem with streaming of phone calls but in my case it is with Kirkland Signature 9.0 hearing aids (made by Phonak’s parent company). I also have an Iphone 11 with 13.7 and have static. Interesting that the static subsides or disappears if I shut off my left hearing aid. If I keep the left hearing aid on but far away from my ear, I still hear the static in the right ear. It only ends if I shut off the left hearing aid. I am working with Apple support on this issue. They want to know if the hearing aid firmware version can be upgraded so I am presently calling Costco to ask.
As with you, my older IPhone 6 (running IOS 12.4) did not have this problem. I will write when I find out anything else new.

See thread ks9 bad connection on phone calls. I started this thread.

I will post updates in that thread shortly.

In Vanwall’s KS9 thread:

The only thing that I have found that WORKS is power your iPhone off and then on each morning. This has worked well for me. I’m a light user so someone on the phone all day may have a different result.

I have Marvel M90s with an iPhone 11 Pro.
The phone power cycle worked for me this morning on a test call to a robot voice (a weather report). Before the power cycle I was getting static on that source. What also works for a test on that same phone number is what @mipresser reported: turning off the left HA. My Bluetooth connection is with the right HA, which is the programming default.

These two “solutions” seem to me to be unrelated. One would seem to affect the phone; the other, the connection between the right and left HAs. Puzzling.

And now I have Paradise P90s, and the exact same problem and solutions apply.

I have Paradise 90R hearing aids and iPhone 11 with Version 14.3 iOS, and I have the same issues with crackling when I try to use the iPhone for phone calls. No problem with listing to audio books and poscasts . Very frustrating

Hi.

There is a new IOS 14.4 update and it has new options to select the device type, these options are available by pressing the “i” icon.

I have been testing the different devices and none of them override the microphone on the aids so that the iPhone microphone can be used.
It is necessary to test more to see if it improves the sound of the one who listens to us.

I attach screenshots.

1 Like

Hi, could you update when you have the chance? I hope this solves the problem!

Make sure you go to the Phonak App and under “my hearing aids” select fixed bandwidth if you are using an iOS device for calls. You will then need to reboot your hearing aids by turning them off and back on. I would also suggest rebooting your phone. Best result may come with “forget the R Phonak hearing aid” and repair with Bluetooth after taking the above steps. If you are having trouble, your audiologist can flip the setting to “fixed bandwidth” through their software. In any case, that resolved it for me using 90R Paradise.

1 Like

Thanks, Going to try your suggestions.

Update:

1. Installed latest iOS 14.4 on iPhone 11
  2. (There is no firmware update available for Phonak Paradise 90R)
  3. Selected Fixed Bandwidth for phone calls in the Phonak app
  4. Turned phone off and back on

So far this is working and I am not experiencing static on iPhone phone calls.

Static during calls returned. New iPhone software update 14.5.1. Maybe that is what is causing the problem to return.
On another hearing forum, this was suggested. I tried it and will see if it is a solution.
“First issue was the callers voice was breaking up during a phone call.
Tech support guided me through the following steps: go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings. After choosing those the iPhone shuts down and goes through a reset, comes back on and automatically chooses your Wi-Fi network. This solved my first issue because the voice was very clear when I made a phone call. Tech support has found the above steps useful whenever Apple releases a new update.”

Hi.

I am testing with different types of devices that appear now, I had hopes that the device “speaker” will override the microphone of the aids but it still picks up the voice, and still does not work the iPhone microphone.

I need more tests, but so far I have not found any difference, I had no problem listening on the KS9 is understood loud and very clear, I only have the problem that the other person if there is some noise does not understand me clear, the noise distorts my voice for the other person.

If I find any improvement I will inform you.

Thanks for that dg1. That seem to fix the issue for me.

I documented this issue on another post a while ago.

1 Like

That’s perfect…one more tip. In the most recent iOS update (14.4) they have added categories for Bluetooth audio connections. If you go to the Settings > Bluetooth > R Phonak hearing aid (or connection for your aids) > open the connection by hitting the small (i). You will see that you can select the kind of connection whether it is your car audio, speaker, hearing aid or headphones You might take that on as well. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks once again. I have changed this too on my iPhone 12 Pro. :grinning:

So, one of my clients now says the latest IOS update somewhat fixed this problem for her. Any others experiencing the same?