Static in Left Phonak Marvel hearing aid

My left side Marvel woke up today with a lot of static. It disappears when I stream audio via BT and slide the ambient control in MyPhonak all the way over to audio and away from environment.

So, I reckon that excludes the receiver, and leaves either the HA internals or the microphone(s) to be the problem.

Any thoughts?

It likely will be a microphone. I have had this same problem with Resound LINX Quattro.

You may find that if you put them in a dryer for half an hour then the static stops, but starts again after you have worn them for a while.

1 Like

Is the static present in all programs or just the autosense one.
Swap the receiver’s over to eliminate the possibility of it being the receiver.

2 Likes

It occurs in all programs.

It’s intensity varies depending on the program and the volume level selected in MyPhonak.

I suspect it’s one of the microphones, but I’ll swap/ check the receiver’s as soon as I figure out removal.

Are the microphones easy to check/get at?

Oh that’s no good, so as @david.hendon mentioned and you suspect its likely, no unfortunately you can’t replace them yourself, it’ll mean a trip back to the factory.

1 Like

It’s as @tenkan says unfortunately.

I have no doubt I couldn’t repair. When I asked about getting at them,it’s to check if there’s any piece of dirt clogging/rubbing on them.

I don’t think so. It’s basically that the microphone sealing from damp (humidity, sweat etc) has failed and it needs replacing.

Ok in that case, you could remove the housing and clean, its not uncommon for it to be done,but have to be very careful there is a fine filter that is used and replaced by the factory, but you really need to be careful here, its very easy to make things worse, let the factory sort if possible.

1 Like

Is there a good guide to opening the housing?

There is something, I’ll see what i can find.

1 Like

Well, I just purchased a used pair af M90-r HA and the right one has this issue. So I too am looking for a solution. I haven’t tried swapping the speakers yet, but I will.

I’m still fooling with getting the Bluetooth streaming to pair. These things are always so finicky when it comes to pairing.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Rob

1 Like

I actually found one. You had posted it to a previous post of mine… So, double thanks…

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I found the problem is with the HA, not the receiver. (I wonder why they call the speaker the receiver…) The video was very helpful to take the case off the HA. I did that and left it in the food drier all night, but it still has the problem. I took off the rubber membrane that covers the mics and switches, and am trying a little more aggressive drying technique with the food dryer, but my hopes are not high.

I also found that you cannot use an M70-R with an M90-R if you want Bluetooth to both ears. The Phonak app allows you to pair with only one or the other, and looks for the pair of both the M70-R and M90-R. That is a disappointment. At this point, I have the choice of the M70-R pair I have been using or one M90-R or both M90-R, but a very annoying static. I suspect it is a microphone problem. I took off the rubber membrane that covers the mics and switches, and am trying a little more aggressive drying technique with the food dryer.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

1 Like

It looks like you’re not afraid to get in there, Rob… , :joy:

Were the covers easily removed? And are the rubber membranes glued on it just a push fit. Did you have any issues with protecting the fine mesh that @tenkan mentioned?

BTW photos as you go would be invaluable…

you would have to set them up as a pair in Phonak Target programing software.

@GrayGhost i think @Zebras tried this and it didn’t work, in target it says incompatible when trying to pair M50 to M90, i guess you could probably program individually, but of course they won’t work as a pair.

OK … I was wrong … I was wrong once before.

Further to this:

If I turn noise reduction up as high as possible and speech focus all the way over to narrow, it almost disappears (but not quite).

Hey all good, i get things wrong to, we’re always learning here on the forums.

Cheers