Starkey S Series IQ

They claim that the fitting range it up to 110db. It really has the power. I can tell that,but not helping me understanding speech. The problem is that without the aid I sometimes understand speech of men better if it i loud enough.

MY understanding is that these hight end hearing aids help in understanding speech and not acting as a microphone. I think any entry level hearing aid can provide amplification and that is the diffference between a pair that cost $ 1000 and another that cost $ 5000.

What should I expect from hearing aids then? :confused:

I am looking into a starkey IQ 11 IIC and if you could email me at wb2jks@gmail.com it would be nice, so far I have read a good deal of negative comments and as you said they are expensive.

I still think it is not capable of producing gain enough to fit a loss of 110db

The only way to really know is through speech mapping. I like to see that

He didn’t give me my score. It was terrbile anyway. I think it is my bad hearing loss. My sever loss starts at 1 K HZ and that’s the problem.

I tried Phonak Smart III wtih sound recover and I didn’t get better speech understanding than the Starkey. I tried it for one hour only and couldn’t tell much about it. I asked the audi to set the sound recover to the maximum and minimize the aids sensitivity because the volume was going up and down due to some loud noise.

Can I still benifit from sound recover with my bad hearing loss at 1-2 K HZ? I made my decision. I am returning the Starkeys though it was not the aids fault that I couldn’t benifit from them.:frowning:

Any possibility that they will let you trial the Phonaks for more than an hour?? That would be a helpful step in the right direction.

dr. amy

I will do that but wanted him to make the adjustments I asked for.

I can ask for one week trial and that will help me decide if these aids can help or not. If they do help then I will go for the Smart V or IX after refunding the Starkeys cost. I beleive the V or IX should be a little beter.
I am also open to any other devices that will help me. In my country they have never sold smartlink or any other devices like the Icom. If he aids work well for me, then will order any device make me understand better.

I also have the Naidas in mind if the Smarts or YES will not have enough power for me.

You are joking…right?

In my opinion…with your loss, I would only put in the software as far as the audio goes…2k no more than 80. Too much highs can cause distortion, but that is on a case by case basis.

Ask most of the dispensers here. Cold hard fact, starkey is behind way behind the curve.
Lets see, Wireless coordination NO, Wireless streaming NO, Multi band direct. Micro NO (not sure if the new aids will have them).

That is where Phonak’s SoundRecover could make a difference though

You are correct about about no wireless connectivity. Have you done research on those that are currently out there?

Phonak - serious delay unless you like to watch movies in lip sync mode

Oticon - mono only, poor sound quality

Siemens - no good period…not worth the comparison

Starkey has one coming out in the fall that is going to sound a lot better. I have personally listened to the others and the new Starkey. They helped Oticon develop theirs in the first place. Were you aware of that.

Not that I’m a huge Starkey fan, but when it comes to audibility in the highs, eventually, all patients are going to need what they can dish out without feedback. Less feedback is less problems for me and the patient.

Phonak has solved the delay issue with the soon to be release icom TVLink. They will be releasing a new generation of aids at the EUHA most likley.

We respect your views, and in fact starkey might come up with such product. But for the moment they are behind the pack- Feel free to poll the dispensers here. It is important to mention perhaps, that siemens group, sonova group, William demand and GN group and widex out sell starkey in terms of units. Primarily because they do tend to offer
better technology.

I hope they do have this new amazing product and raise the bar for the entirely industry.
Their new Otolens seems to be an interesting product.

In terms of units sold, they are many other important factors that go into that equation. Technology is not the main reason for that.

dr. amy

I can tell you that Phonak aids I tried give no feedback at all. Not even when I cover my ears with my hands. Where should I expect feedback? It is even better than Starkeys.

How did they set up the Phonak aids? Did you have an open fitting? Did they give you any gain past 1500? What was the vent size?

Their phase canceller is good, but not that good. It puts limits on output and sacrifices speech but it doesn knock out feedback.

I think that you’re correct. Have you done a lot with the soundrecover? I’m interested in your view on this.

sound recover is nothing new, AVR sono has been a very very long time- their system works well provided you have the ideal candidate.

Currently, Moore has given intercoustics the rights to sell an audiometer (i think it is the affinity) to have a way to measure a dead region.

This is perhaps the weak point of frequency compression, I dont think it is a good idea
if the cochlea is intact

I am trying the Phonak Smarts and I can compare them to the Starkeys. I can’t tell much about Phonak now becasue I want some adjustments to the aids then I will try them for longer time.
I am not against Starkey. I can tell that they really make good aids but need good experts to fit them. I will accuse my bad hearing loss and not Starkey aid even if I find out that Phonak will be better for me.

I can tell you that Phonak has a very good feedback cancellation.

I looked as some of my spelling and it looks like I put; “…doesn knock out feedback.” It should say “does” knock out feedback. Again, their method sacrifices speech inteligibility.