Starkey AMP?

Hello all,
I’d like to pose Your attention into the HA whom name is on title. Hoping it will worth the focus, of course.
Point is that when I found this “Starkey AMP” on theyr site I was supposing it was a new fitting software cause slogan for it is “AMP is a quick fit”.
Then, after having focused on WI and SoundLens for a couple of times, par curiosity I clicked on the link and I found this >>> http://www.starkeypro.com/public/professionals/products/hearing-aids/amp/amp.jsp
Four pdf catalogue on the above mentioned link, but as par Starkey’s tradition it is not told much, technically. Just that it’s a 4-channels digital non-custom made. So I guess it shouldn’t be overpriced. It SHOULD not…
Anyone can tell me/us something more about this? To me, AMP seems a mix between "Microlux 10 and “Songbird”, with some reminding to “Phonak Lyric” and “SoundLens”.
Seems more little than “Audeo Zip” but I guess more visible than “Starkey SoundLens” cause AMP is not custom-made.
Btw, even just knowing what’s its fitting range would be a plus: of course at the end Starkey did not tell much… and Frequency range? Is it released? Which price range?
Boh :slight_smile:
Back to AMP, I guess it is a tentative to trace a new kind of product that of course one (near?) day will be standard.
I hope You can satisfy my curiosity, at least partially.
Thank You!

[quote=Listener;51524]Hello all,
I’d like to pose Your attention into the HA whom name is on title. Hoping it will worth the focus, of course.
Point is that when I found this “Starkey AMP” on theyr site I was supposing it was a new fitting software cause slogan for it is “AMP is a quick fit”.
Then, after having focused on WI and SoundLens for a couple of times, par curiosity I clicked on the link and I found this >>> http://www.starkeypro.com/public/professionals/products/hearing-aids/amp/amp.jsp
Four pdf catalogue on the above mentioned link, but as par Starkey’s tradition it is not told much, technically. Just that it’s a 4-channels digital non-custom made. So I guess it shouldn’t be overpriced. It SHOULD not…
Anyone can tell me/us something more about this? To me, AMP seems a mix between "Microlux 10 and “Songbird”, with some reminding to “Phonak Lyric” and “SoundLens”.
Seems more little than “Audeo Zip” but I guess more visible than “Starkey SoundLens” cause AMP is not custom-made.
Btw, even just knowing what’s its fitting range would be a plus: of course at the end Starkey did not tell much… and Frequency range? Is it released? Which price range?
Boh :slight_smile:
Back to AMP, I guess it is a tentative to trace a new kind of product that of course one (near?) day will be standard.
I hope You can satisfy my curiosity, at least partially.
Thank You![/quote]

Looks interesting that.

If they’ve got the ‘slug’ right it could be good. Both the Be and the Fuse have been flops (due to receiver and shell reliability) and I need a working alternative.

The AMP by Starkey is a non-custom device marketed to those who need a hearing aid, but aren’t “ready” for a hearing aid. The MSRP on them is set is $1500 a pair by the manufacturer and they are prepared to threaten dealers who charge significantly less than that. IMO, $1500 for a cheap plastic device is ludicrous. I was hoping for a non-custom device in the $299 price range. However, the AMP is somewhat programmable and will require some sort of service from the dealer, hence the puffed up price tag. I tried my sample on in my ear, I’m petite and female, and it was way too big and didn’t feel comfortable, but in a bigger ear canal, it might be just fine. Hope this helps.

Everybody knows that it won’t fit unless your get your canals ‘done’ with a 3/8" reamer, just like they used to do with the old ITEs ;).

This is probably the aid programmable using an iPad app. Your comment about Starkey price fixing is an interesting one. I’ve not seen that before. OTOH, I sell a custom programmable aid that’s less than that so it won’t make much sense in my product offerings. Most aids don’t.

It’s a basic digital non-custom aid that is programmable, think a BE but more comfortable casing (provided your ear canals are candidates). Like mentioned before, this is the aid that requires an iPad to program (NOT the SoundLens), which i think is a strange move…

It has different sleeves that can accomodate different ears. But I wonder if the price depends on region because I was given a MSRP of much lower than that! And i’m curious by what “threatening” moves Starkey would carry out??? As long as I pay the bill that Starkey sends me, what in the hell would they care what I charge??

dr. amy

Dr. Amy,

The marketing materials offered at the Vegas training say, “$1500 a Pair” so of course I asked my regional reps about that price. I asked specifically, “Are you worried about price fixing?” and “What if I want to charge less than that?” The answer is paraphrased, but the gist is this. “If we see people really low-balling the price, we reserve the right to jack up their pricing.” Um… really Starkey. Hahaha. Just try it!

I think that this is where you went wrong. You should refrain from saying anything about what you’re planning to sell the aids at. Don’t ask, don’t tell works well for me. Feel free to ask for price breaks. Just don’t say you want to sell it dirt cheap when asking. :slight_smile:

Oh, I agree. The manufacturer shouldn’t care how much profit margin I build into my prices, as long as I pay my bill every month with them… However, it sounded a bit like they will be policing dealers to make sure they aren’t undercutting the price. Thumbs down.

That’s a bit of an Anti-competition measure isn’t it?

Aren’t there laws about that sort of thing? Please let the State off XXX take on Mr. Austin. It could really rip the industry open over there.

Need I mention that this is all PURELY speculation. Working on the “gist” does not really cut it with me. I have worked with Starkey (and other manufacturers) for years and have NEVER had this happen or it even be mentioned. My reps, and Mr. Austin for that matter, have no idea what I charge for my aids anyway, and don’t care. Even if I was low-balling people or competitors, patients will either buy from me or from my competitors, either way Starkey gets paid.

I’m not trying to be arguementative, I just don’t feel the need to start people ranting because someone interpreted marketing materials a certain way. And as I mentioned before, $1500/pair was NOT the MSRP that was suggested to me. Who charges what the manufacturer suggests as a MSRP anyway??? Not anyone I know!

dr. amy

Girls & Boys,
could You please just tell me for one minute which are Fitting Range and Frequency Range of AMP?
I ask just for this little pleasure from You, then You are free to be back to talk about recharging, commercial privacy invasion & Co:)
At the end, I opened this thread for a certain reason…:o
Thank You!:slight_smile:

AMP SPECS

Freq Range: 100-7500 Hz
Reference Test Gain: 19 dB
Battery: 6-8 days (Size 10)

Programmed by iPad by dispenser.

Now, also not wanting to be argumentative. Clearly in Las Vegas, the marketing materials provided and the accompanying speech suggested that $1500 a pair was the price Starkey suggests. I am not speculating that a certain manager told me that if they catch accounts low-balling the price, they may and are prepared to raise their prices. Starkey knows my pricing and helps to set the prices appropriately for my practice.

Also, respectfully to Dr. Amy (whose opinions and experience I value very much and am grateful for her point-of-view) we have worked with Starkey for 35 years when Bill Austin gave us our first line of credit and equipment to set up shop. He and the company have been generous and gracious in the past. However, there is new blood running the company, and I commend them! I really believe they are in a great position to turn out some incredible products and to take chances other publicly held companies cannot. However, I have noticed a new degree of swagger in the steps of the executives and see a change in company policy on the forefront. I just wish there was more transparency and communication between hearing aid dealers and for the consumer. The question I ask my self daily, “How can I help make hearing more accessible to the average American?” “Why is hearing treated as a luxury?” “How does one change consumer opinion regarding hearing if the issue isn’t solely regarding price, but method of delivery?” I am here on HearingAidForums.com because I wish to know if others are wondering these same things and if so, what have you come up with and I really want know, WHAT DOES THE CONSUMER WANT?

I think your loss is too great to be fit with a low power aid such as the AMP. It’s likely that Starkey can make CIC aids with the power you require. If cost is a problem, my advice is that you consider a high power, S Series 5, CIC model. I think you’d probably like it a lot. Good luck!

I am in total agreement with you and respect your opinion as well! This is the very same reason I joined the forum, as well as my fellow professionals. Even tho I didn’t join to impart my strong opinions on others (which I now do frequently) I definitely think it benefits all involved to see things from a professionals point of view also. I don’t gain financially from this, but I think it keeps us in touch with what patients REALLY want.

My heartbreak is that in the current state of hearing healthcare in the US, I feel like I can’t give many patients what they want or NEED.

And to Listener: Sorry for getting off-track, but I am in total agreement with dsi1 :slight_smile:

dr. amy

Pity AMP is not powerful, even if from brochure I can see there’s chance to select 3 standard fitting, whom difference is output. Supposing/hoping standard fitting 3 arrived up to 85db, considered how much the AMP reminds me the Microlux 10 >>> http://www.3dsom.com/proexamples/audilux3d.htm
And the Microlux 10 has a fitting range up to 85db from 2MHz to 8MHz.
And Lyric is up to 90db.
Btw, was just wondering.
And the reason for which is I did not ask to evaluate purchase cause actually my pair of Audeo Smart V are too new yet to be changed. And cost is not an issue. Issue is estetic.
Each time I see an estetically-appealing HA I ask for info, being almost sure it will not be for my case. But at least, that day in where they’ll be powerful enoug, I’ll be already there for them:)

I think the Starkey Group legal team needs to re-read the Sherman Act… This is absolutely a price-fixing scheme if I ever heard one and it only hurts the consumer, the retailer and benefits Starkey. Disgusting.

Hello everyone i have hearing loss of avearge 66db in left and 75 db in right ear i am currently wearing bernafon win 401 cic in only left year and response is good i can hear 75 percent of voice but in seminars and conferences it is not too good but its helping me a lot . The only problem is visibility i am waering it in winters under cap so i am confortable wearing them but summers are near and cap will go…can anyone tell me list of hearing aids which cant be seen by other people… i have grown my hairs but they are not helping too…what about new AMP by starkey is it good enough and what about size of ear canals??

You ear canal does have to be big enough to fit the AMP, but I am a female with realtively small canals and it fit me just fine.

However, without seeing your exact hearing thresholds and going based off of you average, I’d say the AMP wouldn’t provide you with enough gain.

dr. amy