Starkey AMP?

can you tell me maximum limit of AMP ?? I wants a hearing aid to make my speech better and I will go for lyric or otolens as its not available now … Audiologists here are not passionate about their work… They run for money for them gain can be increased by increasing volume … Its better to wear something than to not… In india hearing problems are in 1 in 1000 so its not good here… I will decode my diagram as I have a chart only

can you tell me maximum limit of AMP ?? I wants a hearing aid to make my speech better and I will go for lyric or otolens as its not available now … Audiologists here are not passionate about their work… They run for money for them gain can be increased by increasing volume … Its better to wear something than to not… In india hearing problems are in 1 in 1000 so its not good here… I will decode my diagram as I have a chart only

starkey’s Amp is very cheap in india 600$ a pair unfortunately not for my hearing loss… When will amp will increase power will be launched ?? I can suggest a design of discrete hearing aids no need of inserting in second bend of ear …

The 19db(?) gain will serve sensorineural losses to a maximum of about 60dB - even then you are pushing it with larger canals.

I suspect that Starkey intend the aid to be used as a ‘taster’ for first time wearers who are cosmetically conscious, but who aren’t willing to take the plunge into full-blown hearing aids. On this basis, there might not be a higher power version, as they might be assuming that wearers who need more powerful aids, should be purchasing their full blown products.

is this an Exilent HI
http://www.exsilent.com/en/111/consumer/q-design/

Maybe they made this for them

It’s been around for a few years.

I’m not saying Starkey copied the technology…but…

why not they make hearing aids for all otolens only for bigger canal , amp not enough why not something for people with small canals?? I am in important phase of my life… I wana decide invisibility is a big concern …

Engineering a #10 battery and a mic into an aid means that there is a minimum dimension of 6mm plus enclosure, which realistically means 8mm when you include the radius of the curve.

It’s not trying to be selective, it’s just the hard engineering compromise.

there is a field called Nanotechnology…and i am a Nanotechnologists…we make small things…and yes smaller HAs are in production too…

Anyone knows about response and cost of Exsilent’s Q HA??

the amp is actually surpisingly good - I’ve been wearing them for a few days now… there’s not much to them though - (both in size and programming options)…
I think i’ll offer them to my clients who decided not to get hearing aids for whatever reason (cost/stigma etc) - and give them a voucher for $1500 off the price of ‘proper’ hearing aids should they decide to upgrade in the future -
I think it could potentially be the nudge a lot of reluctant hard of hearing people need to do something

I’ve just received a Starkey AMP to play with.

Surprisingly good.

The Starkey web ‘programming’ app works well.

Has anyone any reliability feedback on this product?

I have a handful of patients in them of various ages and HL. I haven’t seen any repairs come in as of yet, but I just started fitting them in February.

One patient has an issue with the battery moving a bit when he chews food and therefore loses contact for a brief moment and he has to push the battery back in. Probably due to the fact that there is no real battery door, just the sleeve.

dr.amy

My only glitch is the lack of association with a patient record: thereby not really doing a good job of compliance with record keeping.

If it fits, and the loss is mild, they tend to work with people who have the manual dexterity to use them.

Hi
I can’t comment on the situation in the U.S. however, in the UK we have seen several companies offering the Starkey AMP (aka Audiosync iSync iNstafit) being offered at almost “unbelievably low prices”… turns out they were unbelievable - the audiologists’ have then immediately tried to switch sell to another technology - usually NOT invisible. We have received scores of phonecalls from distressed customers concerned that they were not suitable for “invisibles”. When we looked into it, they were fine for either the Soundlens, AMP, iSync or iNstafit. I completely agree with giving customers the best price we can - as long as they can actually get it. My advice is : if you are seeing a radically lower price for hearing aids then it is unlikely to be genuine.

Truth be told advertising is often provided by the labs and company owners often just try different pieces to see what makes the phone ring. Often the lowly hearing professional won’t have much choice in the ad that was ran (unless they are self employed). So it’s not that there is a bait and switch going on, but when a patient shows up the job of the hearing professional is to talk about the best way of solving a hearing problem, which may not coincide with the exact ad that was run.

Personally I don’t adjust what I do to the marketing my company puts out there, I just give the best advice I can. Now I recently had some involvement with an ad for a set of AMPS for $1500. During the promotion I did not dispense a single one, since when given the choice every client went for a RIC which started at just a few hundred dollars more for the set.

I also believe that many hearing professionals don’t take this product very seriously because of the price and the way it is marketed. “Hearing aid for people that are not ready for hearing aids” or something like that. I know I would never wear such a device, so I have a hard time telling others to.

They just use that slogan because it entirely accurate and the best way to describe what the AMP is designed for. It’s for patients who are on the fence, wading into the shallow waters before diving in head first.

dr. amy

From what I read, there are a “bunch” of you people who seem to be completely disconnected from the real world that we live in. When did 1,500.00 U S Dollars become not very much money? Some of you must be making so D*** much money that you’re losing touch with the average person out here.

Hahahaha don’t I wish!

The price is relative to what hearing instruments cost, not what is alot of money or not. I would also say that $1500 is not alot for a car, but that doesn’t mean I have it to throw around…

dr.amy

I did not mean to say that $1,500 was or was not a lot of money for hearing aids. My point is I have a lot of friends, and am aware of many many more, who cannot afford hearing aids that cost $1,500 which most of you professionals consider chicken feed. It may not be much to you but to the majority of hard of hearing people it is a lot.