Sports clip?

As I mentioned in the other thread, we are both getting HAs for the first time. We would be juggling HAs, glasses, and masks on our ears!, and long hair for me!! And there is a fair amount of taking glasses on and off for me, and taking masks on or off. I am worried about having the HAs fall off or get lost. My husband already had a HA fall off when he was out shopping, falling onto the store stairs, as he toggled a mask on or off.

I’ve heard about a sports clip; is this the fix for that problem? Can you get it for most HAs, like the Jabra from Costco or the ReSound Omnias? I thought that I saw something about the Jabras don’t have it yet, but this was on the Jabra website that I got to from Costco’s Hearing Center website.

The horrible experience that I had in 2013(!) was when I bought a Starkey completely in the ear model that the audiologist apparently inserted incorrectly. Within a couple of hours one of the aids fell out (unbeknownst to me) either on the subway or in a deli. My husband and I spent hours looking for it in the deli and on the street, but never found it. The audiologist would not take responsibility for it. It’s yet a longer story that I won’t go into here, but . . . it was awful. I ended up with no aids.

A completely in the ear model was probably not sufficient for my hearing loss then even. I was hoping that it would avoid having the falling out and getting lost issue!! Which would have been true if it had been inserted correctly and fit correctly. Long over with.

Yes the “sport lock” is a thing, this is used to help keep the dome in the ear canal tho, not co much the HAs on your ears, there’s the HAs clips I’ve seen, I can’t find a link right now, I’ll see if I can find one for you
Custom molds with a canal lock are a pretty good way to keep them positioned as well.

For masks, I suggest using elastic that goes around the back of the head rather than just behind the ears. If you prefer a kind that has around-the-ear straps pre-attached, something like this might help:

(first google result, there are a million variations sold on ebay and etsy)

I don’t think the little plastic tails that clip onto the receivers would be enough to keep an aid from flying off when you remove a mask carelessly, but a company called DeafMetal makes something that might be.

They have a bunch of different styles, but they all work the same way: A silicone “holster” attaches to the aid, then a metal ring goes through a hole at the bottom of the holster and around your ear. It will come off if yanked hard enough, but requires a lot more force.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you. I don’t think my hearing loss is great enough to warrant an ear mold (doesn’t it occlude the hearing you have?). I’ll post my audiogram—if I can figure out how! From the chart, I guess.

Ah, thank you CombatWombat----ha! Are you an Aussie? Or do we have wombats in the US (I don’t think so).

Yes, I’d need the Man Cuff or something similar. I don’t want to lose another HA!! Once was more than enough. Plus, I have hand dexterity issues, so, all the more reason to have a device to help keep the HAs in place. My husband maybe, too, although he doesn’t take his glasses off much, and he has short hair. But he does take his mask on and off as the case may be.

He’s still getting over the tail end of a case of Covid that he had on Christmas----not fun. We live in NYC, where everyone lives cheek by jowel, as the saying goes, so masks are still in order on the subway and in stores, medical appointment, etc.

You have a point about using a mask that goes over the back of the head, although for a woman with long hair, that’s difficult, but not impossible. Covid (and the flue, & RSV), the gift that keeps on giving!
I’ve managed not to get it yet, but I’m extremely careful.

They are not necessarily only for severe profound losses, it’s about comfort and good acoustics, it won’t be a occlusive fit it it’s not needed, the molds are vented depending on ones loss so no “occlusion effect”

1 Like

Really, well that’s unfortunate, the rest of the world has moved on (well until the next pandemic!) I believe some of our hospitals are asking people to mask up where possible tho.

Back when I was wearing masks frequently, I bought a plastic S-hook thing (actually, about a dozen of them) that grab the loops and holds them at the back of your head so they aren’t around your ears. The item is no longer available on amazon, but I bet there are still others out there. They came with frames that kept the mask off my mouth and nose. All cheap plastic that did the job.

WH

1 Like

Even in NYC I’m in the minority still wearing a mask, but considering: my age, my many conditions (long-term multiple Tick-Borne Diseases, and autoimmune diseases as a result), plus in the city you’re in contact with a whole lot of people, the current rate of Covid, flu, and RSV is fairly high. Of course, it’s not what it was, thankfully. But I struggle plenty as it is; I don’t need to add more on top, especially long-Covid. My husband still isn’t quite over his case of Covid yet from 16 days ago, mostly fatigue and congestion. This will pass. A mask is a small price to pay for me. Most of the doctors I see wear masks, but they see patients all day long, and are working in the densest city in the country.

Oh, thank you, good to know. I wonder if Costco does ear molds if you need them. I guess I’d know if I need them either by my audiogram or not doing well enough with the domes?

Thank you, WhiteHat (good name). We need White Hat hackers on the internet! It may not be your reference, however.

I take my mask off front to back and it rarely pulls my aid off and if so the aid dangles by the smalls sport clip and dome. 2 yrs so far so lucky. Mostly lose the aids in bed or couch.

1 Like

Costco does make molds and they aren’t too expensive there either.

WH

About masks and hearing aids (HAs)----A good practice when removing the mask is to start at the TOP of your ear. . . carefully lift the mask elastic up and back and off the ear. I find that this motion leaves the hearing aid secure on the ear. (If you start lifting from the bottom, it will likely bring the HA with it!)

1 Like

Here is a product that looks very much like what I bought. 10 for $6 or 20 for $7, not too pricey. But majority of the ones that came up when I searched amazon for “mask hooks behind head” look more comfortable and adjustable than this. Hope this helps.

WH

I have always had a ‘sport lock’ on all of my hearing aids. Never heard it described as such, I thought it just came with all aids. The ‘plastic finger’ becomes permanently curved over time and needs replaced to continue its function. Behind the aids [type] makes a face mask difficult but the BTE aids are the only way to go for obtaining all the available current peripheral options. [And I hate rechargeable aids and the limited battery operation life. The ONLY way one can be absolutely certain ones aids will ALWAYS be operational is with replaceable batteries]

@Blue_Pearl1 if you’re scared of losing your HA’s you should be able to add them to your house contents insurance. I’ve got mine insured with my house contents. When I lost mine on a ferry in Scotland my insurance fully paid out for them.

1 Like

I went to molds because the domes with “sport clip” were insufficient to keep my RIC where it belonged in my canal. I have never looked back. The molds are great for keeping my HAs in my ears. THBS, if you just yank a mask off, the HAs will go flying. More often than not, if the mask hooked a HA, the HA would dangle, but the mold was still firmly in the ear.

If you bought Costco aids, you get 2 years of insurance for losing each aid once. I lost one due to a bike crash (the idiot ahead of me did a u-turn without looking back and without signaling despite my 'on your left! followed by a scream) and they replaced the aid without a problem. After that, I made sure I got sport locks for my Jabra Pro 10s. No charge for the 1st pair and no charge for extras.

As stated above, they do molds for their aids at $40/pop ($80/pair).

1 Like

Thank you, thank you, all for your responses!! It’s all very good information. I am definitely going through Costco after my debacle with Amplifon. So I would have the 2 year Loss and Damage.

But the advice about possibly getting molds is good. It maybe best for me anyway. Plus, I would get the sports clip, and be very careful how I take a mask off. And maybe have the mask behind my head?

Costco really sounds wonderful, given everything, aside from the fact that it is an hour away from us by subway and bus—or car with problematic parking on either end—for 2+ in-person visits.

I would be very careful with juggling the HAs, glasses, and mask, as I don’t want to lose the HAs in spite of the Loss and Damage. Don’t need that hassle, having had it happen to me before, when it was the audiologist’s fault (long ago).

The charge for the molds seems very reasonable, as are the charges for the HAs! Costco rocks!

2 Likes