Sports clip?

Absolutely, I really hope everything works out for you guys, keep us posted, will be interesting to hear the final results.

Ouch, the bike accident! They can be brutal, even fatal (we lost my husbandā€™s good childhood friend to a driver hitting him while cycling up a hill). The driver said the sun blinded him(?). Awful.

Yes, the molds sound great, and the insurance, too, although Iā€™d rather avoid needing it if I can.

Can you use NYC Medical transportation since it is a medical appointment?

Do you mean Access-A-Ride? That is what I think you are referring to. Although I would surely qualify due to some disabilities, I have never applied, because it is poorly run and difficult to endure. After you pass the whole, long application process, you have to reserve a ride 24 hours in advance (not the main problem), you often have to wait 1/2 hour+ for the ride, which sometimes doesnā€™t show up, and endure long rides to your appointment, as they pick up other people and take them to their appointments. So the ride can take at least an hour to get you to where youā€™re going. And the vans are often bumpy and poorly driven by drivers who leave a lot to be desired.

Iā€™d be in unbearable pain trying to endure that. So I limp along using the subway system, which is actually great, albeit with a lot of stairs and walking, etc. But Iā€™ve had way too many very serious falls.

The sad part is that I used to be a professional dance and choreographer, competitive swimmer, biked everywhere, taught dance, hatha yoga, and meditation, and had a Natural Health Care practice for many decades, teaching clients about nutrition, optimizing their health, did body work and taught it all.

Thatā€™s a very long answer to your very simple question!! Itā€™s just humbling, given that since I was a child, I focused on nutrition, exercise, meditation, etc. and worked with clients, and taught it all. And here I am. But Iā€™m still here and making the best of it, so thatā€™s the good news.

I do take a cab/car service when necessary, but that gets really expensive, especially when the distance is long. Thereā€™s also transportation for Medicaid patients, but Iā€™m not poor enough to qualify, which is a good thing! I actually love the subway, and itā€™s a wonder how it can get you long distances fairly quickly. NYC is quite unlike the bulk of the country, for better and worse, but often for better.

My husband would come with me to Costco, both for my sake, and also he needs hearing aids.

Whew, a long answer to such a simple suggestion!

Yes, Iā€™ll keep you posted. There may be a time lag, as the Costco Hearing Center nearest us says they are booked up into March or April!! But I could try other Costco stores, as it turns out there are quite a few in NYC, all about an hour or so away.

Check out the web site Deaf Metal - https://deafmetalusa.com/

I have their plastic ā€œholsterā€ that slips over my hearing aids with the chain that I connect to my earrings. I use this when Iā€™m traveling or in other situations where Iā€™m feeling insecure about potentially losing a HA. They also have models with the ear jewelry built in, but I just slip the metal loop over the back of my own earrings.

Make sure to sign up for emails as they periodically email specials/discounts.

At a meeting my boss complimented me on the look. I explained what it was & she said she thought I was just being trendy!

@darthvagrant

Great post.
Iā€™ve had 3 sets of Phonaks and always used a Sport Lock on each one.
Now I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90Rā€™sā€“and the new awful wax guards are terribly difficult to install with Sport Locks on.
edit:
As a result the tiny waxguards are often not aligned properly affecting my hearing when using the hearing aids (about 17 hours a day.)

Every time I change the waxguards I look closely to see if theyā€™re in the receiver straight.
So I change my waxguards every week

And I canā€™t use the sports locks which I need.

T/J - the driverā€™s usual excuse that they didnā€™t see the biker should bring the law down on them like a ton of bricks - itā€™s the driverā€™s responsibility to see whatā€™ around them. IOW, if they hurt or kill a biker, the burden of proof should be on the driver to prove that the biker caused the accident. Otherwise, the driver should be charged as a criminal. (Yes, I know many bikers rely on driversā€™ kindness, and I have no beef with drivers who hit bikers as the bikers pedal through stop signs and red lights.)

Canā€™t see because the sun is in your eyes? Stop driving until you can see - maybe just for a few moments until the sun changes position.
End T/J

1 Like

Lived in NTC for a bit a couple times. Love NYC subway although it is getting ā€œdatedā€, at least when compared to DC or even London. Costco is not in a really convenient place there. Suggest to the Mayor that he set up a plan to have the private ride services do the Access-A-Ride under contract, maybe even to just subsidize the cost for folks like you.

Thank you. Thatā€™s funny that your boss thought it was something trendy with your earrings, like the kids with the piercings, maybeā€”ha!! Kids, actually, itā€™s not just kids.

They actually started a pilot program using taxisā€”in 2014! They are still doing another pilot program using taxis, but only for a couple of hundred people or so. In a city of 8+ million, thatā€™s not much. Youā€™d have to win the lottery.

Thank you to everyone that gave suggestions to something like a sport clip. There seem to be a lot of ways to do it.

1 Like