Sound quality Phonak TV connector vs Bluetooth

Take a look at the power supply included with the tv connector. If it says 500 ma, then any USB port should be able to power it. I would be surprised it required more power than that.

1 Like

The data sheet says 5V DC with a max current of 500 mA. I wonder why @SaratogaLefty’s computer didn’t power their device?

If the charger provides maximum current of 500 mA, the device draws less than that. If it’s not working, then possibly there are too many other devices connected on the same USB hub inside the computer. Trying another port might help. Any USB 2 port should be able to supply 500 mA. The specification of the computer might provide further information about how much current the USB ports can supply.

A good way to see what’s happening in the computer is to use the utility USBDeview. Here is a link: View any installed/connected USB device on your system.

I have to apologize!! Not sure what I did differently today but it does work fine with the USB connection for power. My MacBook Pro requires a converter cable from the USB Micro cable to connect to my USB-C MacBook Pro port but for some reason it didn’t work yesterday but worked perfectly today. So very easy to travel with as the TV Connector is so small and thin no biggie to pack with everything else.

1 Like

Awesome. Also have a USB-C MacBook Pro, so I’m glad to hear this. Thanks!

You’ve must of said (10) time in your previous posts -“so small and easy to pack”. Don’t you ever get tired pumping HA devices? So are you claiming I have to buy a separate suitcase if I buy some other TV connector other then Phonak because they are so big and bulky?

SaratogaLefty, and anyone else who has changed this setting from automatic, does it work as described for you? Does pressing a hearing aid button enable TV streaming? If so, does it seem to matter which one you press and how you press it?

I had my audiologist change mine to the third option and re-paired my hearing aid. I heard the tones indicating that it was working, but I couldn’t hear anything, and pressing a hearing aid button did nothing.

I finally figured out (hours later) that I can use the Remote app to select the TV Connector program that was added, but this is not terribly convenient. I would much prefer to press a button.

The Phonak TV connector is smaller than the Oticon TV adapter (or whatever it’s called), but it’s kind of lame that it doesn’t have a rechargeable battery and considering what it does, it’s pretty expensive. How about this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/. Under $30 and it has a rechargeable battery.

If the Bluetooth pairing will be resolved and if there’s no latency issue (for movies), it’s worth considering I’d say.

the TV connecor in combination with a small battery, could also be an option I’d say. such as this one?

personally I appreciate @SaratogaLefty’s impression. Don’t need to be so snarky about it.

1 Like

Having the tone works great for me!

When you hear the tone that the TV connector is available, simply press the button on your HA’s just like you would to do to answer a call. If you delay doing that, you just to cycle through your various programs to connect OR use the APP.

Dave

The reason I refer to the ease of packing is because in earlier posts some of those who preferred the battery operated Marvels were saying they didn’t want to have to pack the Omnicharger (too big) especially if you have the Power Pack (7 days of battery charging without electricity) attached. Thus I thought it worth mentioning just how small the TV Connector is and packing it couldn’t possibly be a problem. If I come across as “pumping HA devices” that is not my intent. I am just sharing my experiences regarding the Marvel rechargeable aids and the various accessories. This is a Phonak Marvel thread after all.

2 Likes

Works exactly as DaveKStott indicated. I hear a tone and I press the toggle and I’m connected.

I think aptx needs to be on both sides for low latency. I haven’t found a way to get low latency with hearing aid devices other than the brand TV transmitter.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t aware that aptx had to be on both sides. The transmitter is not very expensive and I’d like something for on the airplane. Maybe I’ll order it and see if it works well enough to use.

I have an Avantree Bluetooth dual transmitter and it’s not terrible, but it is noticeable.

Thanks for the warning. At least I will know what to expect. Hopefully even with the lag, it will be better than listening with one ear using ear buds, which is what I usually end up doing on the airplane.

Darylm,
I also thought it would be nice to have the TV Connector have a rechargeable battery but that was before I realized it works fine powered from the USB connection on my laptop. So on a plane, for instance, I can now use my laptop and watch videos without having to take along my Bose Headphones. Instead, I will just take the TV Connector along.
You are also correct the Phonak TV Connector isn’t inexpensive at $279, but after already spending $6300 for the Marvels and for all the useful (for me) functionality I am getting with the TV Connector, I was definitely willing to pay the price.

Depending on what airline I’m flying on, I just use the in-flight system, in which case, I don’t have my laptop out. In my case, if I was using my laptop, I would be using the connectclip, anyway. I’m interested in a battery powered unit that can stream audio from the in-flight system. The TV connector would be perfect if it had a battery. (Obviously, the TV connector wouldn’t work for me, since I have Opns.)