Sound quality Phonak TV connector vs Bluetooth

The Anker Power Bank I use to charge/power my cell phone works nicely to power the TV Connector! https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=sr_1_6?crid=34R5RE7UDXCI5&keywords=anker+power+bank+quick+charge+3.0&qid=1553027004&s=gateway&sprefix=anker+power+bank%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-6

1 Like

Here’s another idea if your a minimalist as I am. I didn’t like the bulky long cables supplied with the TV Connector. Here’s what I did…

And here’s where I got the two 6 inch cables on Amazon…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013G4EAEI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QKH3F1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 Likes

Great suggestions. I originally ordered much longer cables because I thought I needed to connect to a power source. I just ordered the same very short setup you have except I had to get the USB-C to Micro USB cable as my MacBook Pro only has the USB-C input ports. Total out of pocket $14 and that will work perfectly on planes for my upcoming trip to Europe.

Your setup involves digital to analog, analog to digital and digital to analog and it’s a bunch of extra stuff to carry around or lose. That can’t help the sound quality or the lag. If it’s so easy to pair your Marvels with your laptop, help me understand why you’re not just doing that.

1 Like

The hearing aid brand TV transmitters are low latency and built in bluetooth is not. There is another benefit if using the Marvels. The Marvels will connect to only one device at a time, except they will also connect to their TV transmitter so it is a way to stream from the Marvels and still have the cell phone connected.

1 Like

Yes it’s extra stuff to carry around, but it isn’t very large or heavy so I’m really not seeing a problem with portability. If I were to lose a Connector, I did buy two of them. It’s easy enough to then replace the lost Connector.

In my experience the sound quality of the TV Connector is noticeably not as good as my direct Bluetooth Classic connection to my Pixel 3 XL. I didn’t readily notice lag of an significance. The speed of going back and forth between my phone and the connector on my PC is no contest as it’s instant, since both are connected at the same time. All I need to do is bring up a sound source on either one and the sound is instantly available in my Marvels.

I should emphasize again, if I’m going to listen to music and I want the best quality, I’ll only be using my Bluetooth Classic connection with my Pixel 3 XL and my Google Play Music subscription.

Again, when using the TV Connector, I’m connected to both my Pixel 3 XL phone and my computer simultaneously. Going back and forth between the two devices is instant. Why on earth would anyone do the Bluetooth Classic “Forget” “un-pair” “re-pair” dance, that takes a minute or so to do, if one can be simultaneously connected with both phone and computer?

I hope that helps your understanding of why I have the TV Connector.

1 Like

So there is “lag” in speech or shall we say voice doesn’t match mouth on a TV? How big of a problem is this?

If you include the rest of what you quoted…

I didn’t find the sound quality of the TV Connector to be “bad”. With the TV Connector I didn’t notice the Bluetooth sound lag that has been well documented by Bluetooth headphone and ear bud users for many years. This makes it a bit difficult for following videos of speech where the lip movements are slightly out-of-sync. What I did notice by careful comparison was that the sound quality of my Google Play Music subscription was better with my direct Bluetooth Classic connection on my Android Google Pixel 3 XL phone.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using TV Connector is ok if you can avoid multi D/A conversion. Use digital (optical) Toslink instead of analog 3.5 mm jack if your notebook (or any other sound source) is capable. Something like this: Phonak Toslink Kabel für TV Sender - revEAR Online Shop

I have the TV Connector hooked up to my Denon Receiver using the Zone 2 Pre Out with RCA Cables and then a converter cable to go from the RCA to the 3.5 mm jack. Absolutely no lag at all!! Sound is quite good and I can adjust the “splitter” so I hear the impact of my surround sound system very well while still being able to hear the dialogue much more clearly. I’m also using the TV Connector with my laptop with USB and 3.5 mm jack cables for YouTube videos and again no lag whatsoever.

Darylm,
I’ve done quite a bit of flying over the past year and every plane I’ve flown on has had a USB and a 110V plug in connection available. Not sure about the OPN TV Connector, but the Phonak TV Connector can use the USB connection for power and then the 3.5mm jack cable to connect to the onboard programs, so no need for a headset or battery.

Bought a TV Connector off eBay for $150! Excited to get it. It’s the one originally that came out for the Audeo B Direct, but after research, this will still work with Audeo Marvel.

I fly often and many aircraft do not have AC. Anyway, if you’re happy lugging all of the wires and a battery pack, that’s your prerogative.

darylm,
Your use of the word “lugging” caused me to get out my scale and weigh my Anker Power Bank. On my Postal scale it weighs 4 ounces. My 6 inch cable that I use for it weighs .02 ounces. Even though I’m 77 years old, I can’t tell the difference when I add the additional 4 ounces to my backpack. I’m also able to lift the 4 ounce Power Bank just fine when taking it out of my backpack. I still have the dexterity to then attach the 6 inch power cable. So I’m able to do all this “lugging” just fine and yes, I’m happy doing all this “lugging” to effect the desired end result!. :smile:

2 Likes

Gary, for a 77 year-old, you’re like a little kid. You can’t let anything go. I have two phones, a computer, multiple chargers, cables, cords and headphones to carry around when I travel. My brief case is full of electronics and other things that I unfortunately need to bring along. The last thing I want to carry around is more electronics. I’m happy for you that at your “old age”, having the dexterity to connect a cable is still exciting for you. Good for you!

Daryl, no matter what is said on the forums, you manage to find a way to make yourself look superior. You really do need to examine yourself and what you do and how it makes others feel about you. Your need to feel superior to everyone is really a personality disorder. You apparently haven’t noticed but what you do on the forums has been brought to your attention by others

How can writing a hurtful sentence like that possibly make you feel good about yourself?

I expect you to now attack me again in a way to express your superiority.

9 Likes

Completely agree with you, TraderGary. Darylm, your tone and your attacks on people have consistently made the forums less enjoyable for me, and it seems others. You clearly hate the Marvels, you’ve been so vocal that the thought of “does this guy work for a competitor of phonak?” has come across multiple times.

4 Likes

Hey guys,
Please keep it up. Nothing funnier than a Pissing Contest. Keep it light so everyone can enjoy.

With airfoil https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ a Windows-PC or Mac-PC can act as an audio-server and send sounds to an apropriate airfoil-client (“airfoil-satellite”), eg. Android or iPhone. Your HAs only have to be connected to your Pixel.

1 Like

I’m really happy with my TV connector. It is not the newest one, it’s the one originally sold alongside Audeo B direct. There’s some small differences, but my only use for it is to hook it up to my computer via 3.5mm audio jack. For that it’s perfect. Really surprised by how small it is. I have it set to send a tone to my Marvels when audio starts playing, which I wasn’t sure if I would like (thought maybe just manual), but turns out I really do like that. Got it for $150 on eBay.