Some hearing aids apps not best response, quality?

Still studying up in anticipation of a HA choice in near future, I read a bit about disappointing HA apps.
It seems to my newbie brain that a good connection and control of HAs in special situations would be key.

Android user, how can I orient my choice to systems featuring better apps, no as primary but close second to performance/match?

There are many of us who don’t go into the app very much at all. A set of HAs which have been fit well to your loss may go all day without needing any help from the app. Lately, most days, all I check on is the battery condition, and I don’t even need to open the app to do that since the widget came out.

YMMV

WH

4 Likes

I think the Starkey app is poor. So I programmed the HAs directly to do the things I would try to do in the app.

Signia’s app is fine (should be better) but it’s kind of slow. There are always going to be situations you won’t be able to account for and program for. Nowadays I mainly use it to narrow the cone of incoming sound in noise, and rarely to change the loudness.
That being said I found it hugely beneficial in the beginning when I was testing things with multiple programs.

1 Like

To me an app is and only should be an added benefit and not something to base my hearing aid choice on. If aids are correct for my hearing loss and they are correctly fitted then an app shouldn’t be needed.

5 Likes

Why would you think the manufacturer (in this instance Starkey) would give you the ability to bypass an audiologist plus after all the effort they put into the software, just so you could do all of this from their App?that’s just being naived.

Almost two years ago my dispensing audiologist encouraged me to use the APP and report to him changes that enhanced my hearing. Credit Valley Audiology. He sold me WSIB Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. At his request I would send him emails describing what worked. Then during an appointment he would change the programs installed on my hearing aids to suit.
Didn’t work well.
Just want my hearing aids setup so they work.

As others have said, many of us don’t think an app is important. However, my understanding is that Resound (or Costco’s Jabra) app is the best app.

I struggle with the Signia app and learned with an iPhone I just need to triple push the power button and can control most of what I need with aids.

1 Like

I used to work in software development for smartphones. An app developed for iOS (iPhones) is completely different “under the cover” as regards programming code from the equivalent app developed for Android.
That is why I see people reporting that the smartphone app for hearing aid X runs OK on iOS but poorly on Android.
A personal example is the app for Widex Moment hearing aids. Widex has created hearing aid apps for iOS since 2016 but their first hearing aid app for Android came out in 2021. So they have lots of experience with iOS apps but little experience with creating Android apps. The Widex moment app runs well on iOS but I have heard mixed reports about the Widex moment app’s performance on Android.

2 Likes

I have the Oticon aids, and early on with the Oticon ON app was good on IOS but just barely worked on Android, but Oticon must have changed tactics because the companion app seem to be working better on Android than iOS. This past summer i got tired of the issues i was having with my aids on IOS and traded for the Samsung S23 and I have been very happy with the connectivity, now the app still isn’t that great connectivity wise but the aids never lose connectivity to the phone itself.

2 Likes

I don’t have troubles using my iPhone SE with my hearing aids.

I do have troubles as soon as I get in one of my two cars. I have my HA’s paired with my car and with my phone. When I answer the wrong way I get in trouble instantly.

And…I have a dongle replicating wireless caplay in each of those cars. Probably one time in four I have to take up my phone and go to settings and connect with my phone.

DaveL
Toronto

it makes sense, i’m a newbie in HA programming too, but tonight i was listening to music in car and sound was barely hearable (i guess my P90 automatic setting recognized it as a noise and toned it down but i swear it was a good music! :slight_smile: so i decided to test music setting with myphonak app - whoa, so much better, i could enjoy music in car.

1 Like

I gave up on having my phone paired to our Jeep Grand Cherokee, once my phone, it didn’t matter if it was the iPhone 13 or my Samsung S23, connectected to the Jeep, I had to restart both my phone and aids to get the aids to work with the phone again. I haven’t been able to figure out why the Jeep connection cuases the issue other than it seems once the connection is made it stays connected as long as the phone and jeep are within range even when the Jeep is not running. When I am driving I set my phone to do not disturb, but i will get important calls from my family members and very close friends.

1 Like

Hmm…how difficult is it to contract out to qualified people, if you do not have skills in house?

2 Likes

Very true. The Jabra/ReSound/etc. app looks the same on my Samsung S20 5G and my iphone SE, but they don’t act the same. The Android version is much slower and needs many more taps. The Samsung loses connection with 1 or both aids much more than the iphone does. The Android app was so unpredictable that I switched to Apple. (Unfortunately, the Samsung was better for everything I do on the phone except control the hearing aid, especially phone calls and text messaging.)

How difficult is it to contract out? Given how poorly the ReSound Android app performs, very difficult. Besides, it’s almost always been hard to find good techies. I think the last time lots of good techies were available was the 2008-2009 financial crisis. Of course, some good ones came on the market about a year ago, but … if you aren’t HOH and were given a choice between ‘changing the world and becoming a billionaire’ and ‘helping people hear better for a salary’, which would you choose? (Disclaimer: I’m a long-retired non-Californian techie, so I don’t know what the ex-twitter employees were offered or what they chose.)

1 Like

My Oticon aids will sometimes lose connectivity to the app but not my Samsung S23 phone. I have had no issues with connectivity of the phone an aids. I don’t really depend on the app or even need the app most of the time. I traded my iPhone 13 for the Samsung S23 this past June because of all of the issues i was having with connectivity between my aids and the iPhone and haven’t regretted the trade to android.

It’s good to have the app, but it’s better to not require the app. The ideal situation is that the hearing aids are programmed in and function in a way that supports you in all environments without you needing to think about it or worry about it. This gets harder with more complex environments or more complex hearing losses, but is the case for a lot of people these days.

As a new user, also take into account that hearing aids have a significant adjustment period and you don’t necessarily want to immediately start toning them down in the app the day you get them. If they are wearable, wear them. Don’t be tempted to take away audibility in favour of comfort until you’ve given your brain some time to stretch.

8 Likes

I was concerned because my hearing aids had been setup poorly by the dispenser.

His replacement helped a lot

I have to Phomak reports now

*Target User Report
*Target Pro Report

I want my hearing aids to work as they should. I want to understand what speakers say without needing to change or modify programs myself

They are smart hearing aids. I want those smart features to be usable. In the past they were disabled

IDK … I need to switch between All-Around, Music, Outdoor, Restaurant, TV streamer, and Multi-mic. I don’t think that can be done automatically with today’s tech. That’s with Jabra Pro 10/ReSound Omnia series of aids.

I can switch pgms via the rocker switch on the aids, but I need the app to mute/unmute the aids for commercials (or other reasons). The app takes stress off the aids, but with a 3 year warranty, I shouldn’t worry about that. I do, but I shouldn’t :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes