So Many Smiling Faces on Hearing Aid Websites

I don’t know why they withhold any useful informatiin.

Hi, Do you have any idea why your thresholds are dropping so quickly? Do you have a family history of hearing loss? What is your word recognition score? I have lost a lot of my hearing over the years, but it has been gradual, mid and high frequency and age related. There is no one else in my family who is deaf. —Steve

i absolutely love my hearing aids

they have given me access to more life

on when i get up, off when i go to sleep

cannot imagine being without them

first time i wore them i was amazed at how much i was missing

like that turn signal in your car ? it makes a little clicking noise ! hadn’t heard that in about a decade

they make me smile for sure

3 Likes

I also smile!!
I think those who do not smile when they get new aids are those who waited much too long to admit lost hearing and have huge adjustment issues.
If you start wearing aids early - - when you really aren’t sure if they are helping much until a battery dies and you suddenly cannot understand a conversation - - I think you will always smile at the tech improvements you get in new aids.
Yes, cost is a huge issue and I wish we could get a real grass roots movement going to make Medicare and Medicaid include true hearing aid cost!!!
I am currently demo’ing many different brands and having a BALL doing it. It is going to be really tough when I have to decide on which one to purchase!! I like the App for brand A, but the bluetooth is better in brand B . . . .

2 Likes

come sit beside me with my behind the ear, tubing and earmolds aids. I like the visibility of hearing aids!

3 Likes

Sandra - you sound like a perfect candidate to do the next Phonak advertisement shoot. At least you will be “legit”, using hearing aids. Sadly 95% of the faces we see advertised on various HA website, have never worn a hearing aid and never will - except during the ad shoot.

1 Like

Hi, Sandra, Thanks so much for your comment. Perhaps we are in the minority, but I also feel comfortable in large hearing aids and ear molds. --Steve

2 Likes

I was very pleased to get my new hearing aids. Thrilled to be able to listen to my audiobook on my iPhone without headphones as I walked home.
With the improvements in technology that happen, it is a wonderful world. Expensive yes, but think about the improvements in your lifestyle. And read up about the connection between dementia and hearing loss. It is worthwhile. It costs less than $3 a day over 5 years. So less than a fancy coffee!

3 Likes

For me, it was a lot of vacation air travel after retirement. I’ve never handled the change in pressure well, and lost hearing in one ear after a flight. My Oto put in a tube, but my hearing, after it came back was significantly affected. I think I had gone a few days before going in, so it may have been too late to try steriods. Besides, I was taking a lot of steroids for Eczema, which appeared at age 66 for the first time. So the Covid prohibition on travel may be saving my hearing!

My biggest smile will be for my phone. With BY my phone is clear as a bell and I can talk normally.The downside is I cannot just hand the phone to my wife.
With a cell phone or other not linked to the HA, sound is still poor.

2 Likes

I love my hearing aids and being able to hear :grin:

2 Likes

Many HA makers are from Denmark. I suspect that many of their “smiling face models” were hired by their advertising agencies at cut rates from the swelling ranks of retired sex trade workers.

The big grins are just the “Wow! Scored another trick!” look… :wink: