Single sided loss - what are the recommended aids these days for a new user?

So, I never did anything about aids, but I think I need to soon.

What would be the recommended hearing aid for the loss I have suffered, now its three years later.

Has there been any progress or new tech?

I am not an expert by any means.
Your right ear will need an ear mold. Your left ear should be fine with an open dome.
All of the big hearing aid brands make a receiver in the ear aid that should work fine on both ears. The difference will be the receiver power level and the earmold/dome choice.

Costco might be a great place to start.
God luck.

1 Like

Ask an audiologist if Cros or Bi-Cros hearing aids will be of help to you. What are CROS and BiCROS Hearing Aids and Who Needs Them?

1 Like

Hi Aiden ,

I would actually be fitting both your ears - despite 1 of them having normal hearing in your low frequency’s. you would highly benefit form 2 especially with speech understanding.

Recommendation:

Bilateral Receiver in Canal Hearing aids. -One will need a mould and a power receiver.

Hearing Aids have come so far in the last 5 years.

You really can’t go wrong with either a Phonak , Oticon or Signia Hearing Aid.

They all have amazing devices on the market with Bluetooth , rechargeability, apps, tap features, voice assistant features, speech in noise programs.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Can I ask, what’s the purpose of the ear mould? Is it to keep sound in, as the boost needs to be so high due to the degree of loss?

Hi Aiden,

Depending on the type of Mould will give you different outcomes. Some people will need a mould purely for retention issues - to keep it in their ear. Others will need it for more low or high frequency gain, others it will help reduce background noise, combat feedback thresholds, better overall acoustics. if will just depend on your loss and ear canal.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, while I’m not an audiologist I think it would be highly recommended to explore with a good audiologist your options to keep that deteriorating ear as good as possible. My own hearing profile is significantly different to yours so I can’t give you a personal recommendation but connectivity is really good in the modern aids. You will definitely find a solution to your needs.

2 Likes

Brilliant, thank you.

I have an appointment for a hearing test tomorrow. I think its time I accepted I need hearing help.

Hi Aiden,

Thats very exciting. Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

In the waiting room now, will see how it goes!

Ok, do the verdict is a Cros system is needed, as my right ear is unaidable. Too much distortion when amped up.

So the practice prefers Phonak. I don’t think the Sphere tech is available in Cros format?

What should I ask for, the new Audeo Cros?

I’ll post the audio gram later too. Audi thinks I’ve had an ear infection at some point

Having read up on the topic, it seems a lot of people aren’t fans of a Cros set up.

Is it one of the least successful situations people have dealt with and experienced?

Id like to hear some recent opinions before I go ahead with the spend.

Ok, so I entered the new audiogram from yesterday.

Any thoughts on whether the Cros is a good idea there?

0% WR at 90db in my right ear, and lots of distortion, so the recommendation is don’t amplify that.

My right ear is pretty much useless, and I have some hearing loss in the left ear, so I have a bi-Cros set-up.

After 7 years of using Phonak Bi-Cros with conventional batteries, earlier this year I switched to ReSound rechargeable Bi-Cros aids because I was concerned that the old Phonaks would die on me. Plus, I wanted to update to newer HA technology.

I’ve been quite happy with ReSound as well as with the Phonak. Having the Bi-Cros gives me more confidence about hearing sounds coming from my right side, because those sounds are transmitted to my left aid. I’ve also added a multi-mic accessory with enables me to have an extra microphone that others can wear so I hear them better, such as a lecturer or someone in the back seat of a vehicle.

No one suggested you qualify for a cochlear implant when you have nothing to lose on this ear?

@AidenL Hi Aiden, Not an answer to your question, but maybe check out all of the below for discussion on what actual sufferers of Unilateral Hearing Loss are trying out to try to deal with their challenge(s).
Note: These are subjective opinions, so might be totally different experience for you. Recommend trialling out what ever options are available to you.