1 or 2 hearing aids for unilateral hearing loss?

Hi all,
Looking for your help/insight please.

I’ve got 40% unilateral hearing loss in low frequencies due to Meniere’s so speech clarity is difficult not to mention the roaring tinnitus. Good ear is perfect, doing all the work.

Audiologist recommends traditional hearing aid (as CROS would be bothersome on my good ear and only opting if clarity gets worse) while Neurotologist said BiCROS or AmpCROS. They work at the same place so basically getting contradicting recommendations!

Considering Phonak Audeo Lumity L90 or Signia Pure Charge & Go 7IX but it appears many of their speech clarify and background noise reduction features are only for bilateral fittings (2HAs vs 1). So not sure if these premium levels would even be worth it if I opt for unilateral fitting (1HA vs 2) OR if 1HA is worth it at all and should just go with 2HAs so I can then take advantage of features?

Not having my bad ear stimulated is also my biggest concern/need as I’d want to prevent auditory deprivation over time to reduce the risk of cognitive decline down the road.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts/experiences!
Thank you!

1 Like

I have a single sided loss. I started out with a single aid and it was great in quiet, but in a noisy restaurant, I had to remove it because the noise from that side was overwhelming and I could barely hear the speech from people at my table. I switched to two Phonak aids. HUGE difference!

Having a program with AmpCROS is the best of both worlds. I couldn’t find anyone where I live who could do it, so I had to resort to DIY. I only use that program when I need it because it drains the battery more quickly. If you have a pro who is suggesting it, I highly recommend it.

I had roaring tinnitus in the ear with the loss and wearing an aid in that ear brought it down so I only notice it when I’m thinking about it. It took awhile though.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, that helps as being in noisy environments (restaurants, conventions, conferences) would be my main use case. How do you DIY if you don’t mind me asking?

I learned about DIY right here on this forum. There’s a separate section for that. I bought the Noahlink wireless needed to connect to the hearing aids on eBay, got the software from the wonderful posters on the DIY subforum. The software only works on Windows and I already had a Windows computer.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Very new here so I’ve yet to explore the plethora of information available. Appreciate the responses!

BTW, it’s likely that the audiologist is unfamiliar with AmpCROS. When I learned about it, the clinic I bought the Phonaks from had been shut down, so I interviewed four different clinics and the audiologists looked at me like I had two heads when I bought it up. One called their Phonak trainer who gave her erroneous information. So if you want AmpCROS and the audiologist isn’t familiar with it, don’t go with Phonak. Starkey has instructions online how to do it:

1 Like

This is very helpful, thank you again!!!

You’re welcome!

I gave you the wrong link. Here’s the link for Signia AmpCROS instructions:

1 Like

Was just starting to look at Starkey HAs so this is making my decision so much easier now!

BTW, do you still use both HAs even when not in noisy environments?

Yes, I do. It’s just a habit to put them both in.

Good deal thanks again

1 Like

Kaytee - There is no reason to wear a hearing aid on an ear with “normal” hearing. So my guess is that what you are calling your normal ear is really your better ear and probably has a mild hearing loss, especially when compared with your other ear. Glad you found a solution. Hearing in noise is everyone’s biggest complaint.

Well, the point of CROS is to pick up sounds on the side of your bad ear and send it to the good ear. Some folks don’t need amplification in their good ear and others do, but they all wear two in order to make CROS work.

WH

Wrong. Re-read the original post about the benefits lost with a single aid.

1 Like

ENTs don’t tend to really know much about hearing aids.

5 Likes

I’m new here, to hearing loss and hearing aids.

I’ve also got unilateral hearing loss (SSHL 4 weeks ago, no joy with antibiotics and steroids) so I’m trying hearing aids.

I’ve currently got a pair of Phonak Audeo L90 on a 90 day trial but another audiologist has a Starkey Genesis AI 24 CROS set up for me to trial from next Friday, but she also said that I may well be fine with just one aid on my hearing loss left ear, as my right ear has no hearing loss.

I’ll go with the trial but I would very my like to understand the experiences of other with these aids as I’m only going to have 4 weeks trial with either set up.

As well as being able to hear when cooking, when in meetings and when out with the kids, I listen to a lot of audiobooks via my watch or phone, and spend a lot of my day working on Teams.

Keep in mind that going with a CROS means giving up on your bad ear. If you have any sense that you might ever get a cochlear implant, you want to stick with a hearing aid to keep the nerve active.

Access to cochlear implantation varies by country. Where I am, people used to be ineligible if they had one good ear but this is changing and ears are being assessed separately now.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input.

Now looking at the Sphere Infinio or the Virto Infinio models, more so towards Virto - just not sure which L90 features aren’t compatible with only one HA. Did see in another thread that AI features are only in Sphere model.

Phonak Virto product info

I have unilateral downward sloping loss, perhaps similar to yours, Please add your audiogram to your profile. My right ear is almost normal, mostly just the high pitch loss that you expect at 74. I wear a pair of Oticon Real hearing aids, both programmed for the appropriate ear. I don’t leave home without them. While conversation in noisy restaurants is a bit difficult, that’s the Holy Grail of hearing aids, and many people who have not been diagnosed have that problem. What I like about my Oticons is that they bring back the richness and quality of sound that I didn’t realize I was missing in both ears, even though my present audiologist asked why I wear one on my “good ear.” One audiologist even suggested a cochlear implant in my bad ear, but I feel that the hearing aid is sufficient, and I don’t want to destroy my cochlea with surgery. By the way, my first pair of hearing aids were Jabra Select 200, and the Oticon Real 1 hearing aids that I wear now are far superior in every way.

1 Like

Thank you for this, it helps as I’ve only just lost the bulk of my hearing in my left ear.

I’m in the same position as you (but 20+ years younger) and one audiologist suggested CROS, another has me trialing 2 Phonak Lumity, but I don’t quite understand why I would need an aid on my “good”, well. better ear. While I wait for my next NHS appointment (MRI on Wednesday then follow about hearing aids in Sept), I was looking at the Select 500s as they are way cheaper then the Phonak (but obviously a challenge to get in the UK).