Severe/Profound Loss At a Loss

Were there microphone tubes in your ears for the entire matching episode?

1 Like

Hi Neville, no, there were not. But it was clearly evident that the volume did not match before the compression increase and did (along with feedback) afterwards. There was a very drastic increase.

So youā€™ve learned that you donā€™t actually prefer a linear fit, which is useful. Increasing compression and so increasing soft sound gain will certainly make it louder.

But if theyā€™d just matched on the ear they could have identified the problem with the low frequencies as well. Does this clinic simply not do real ear measures? Because thatā€™s a red flag to me. Frankly, it doesnā€™t sound like they did test box matching either, just software matching. And if the clinician needed the manufacturer to do that for themā€¦I dunno, I feel like these are red flags that you should go elsewhere.

2 Likes

Thank you @Neville . You may be right - she didnā€™t do test box testing either.

So it made sense to you that increasing the compression increased the volume for me?

Because that also didnā€™t make sense to the audiologist nor the clinician.

so Widex still has the Puresound, I wore Widex forever and loved them, music sounds great in them. You can get that in the Widex Moment.

1 Like

Certainly. I mean, you can increase compression without increasing volume, but it depends on how you do it. Compression just smushes the dynamic range of the sound. You can smoosh it all down from the top and that will make everything quieter, or you can smoosh it all up from the bottom and that will make everything louder, but I expect that they just smooshed the quiet sounds up and the loud sounds down a bit (smooshed into the middle), with an overall feeling of things being louder because soft sounds are the sounds that youā€™d be looking for.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank you.

Iā€™d say that BTE hearing aids are the only things that are going to work for severe to profound hearing loss.
Also, in the ear hearing aids are often Far more visible than BTEs.
I havenā€™t worn hearing aids in almost a decade (since I got my first cochlear implant (my hearing was the same as it is in my ā€œaudiogramā€ in my profile for several years before I got a CI)) but I always enjoyed the connections between my hearing aids and music/speakers/FM. That I donā€™t think is possible with ITE hearing aids (I used audioshoes with direct connections between my iPod and my hearing aids.

Now Iā€™m chilling out watching TV with the sound streaming directly to my cochlear implants (AB Marvels) and I can turn off outside sounds which makes my CIs like noise canceling headphones.

3 Likes

Thank you. I agree that BTEs may be the way to go for me here. I will be taking the time to research the BTE UP options for all 6 major brands before deciding which to trial first.

1 Like

Welcome the forum! I just wanted to interject a little suggestion here that might save you some time in your research. Do you research on profound hearing loss and I know you said that you have wore ha most your life. Trying to find an acceptable ha with profound hearing loss is a major task. Not every audiologist has the skills to deal with profound hearing loss. Most audiologists have the shills to deal with mild hearing loss. I have poor word recognition and I have the Naida Paradise 90 UP. These ha are very powerful. My hearing requirements are not very high. The ha have bt and I connect them to my pixel 7 android and my pc. Eighty percent of the time I understand what is being said with my phone and pc. I donā€™t stream to my tv. I watch movies and I understand the dialogue with out subtitles which is a miracle for me with my hearing loss. I too am a candidate for cochlear implant but refused because the percentage of hearing improvement for my age was not acceptable. I listen to music through BT on my phone. Again welcome to the forum there are some very knowledgeable people will to help you with your hearing needs. And yes I forgot to add that the Naida line up is all BTE. I noticed Phonak only offers the Naida Paradise in the rechargeable and the UP which has the big battery I like because it last up to three weeks. Sorry for the long jargon good luck in your research.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had good success recently with the relatively new Phonak Lumity Naida SP, which is a slightly smaller, and slightly less powerful model than the Phonak Lumity Naida UP. It really does deliver comparable loudness to analog hearing aids that I used to wear in the 1980s and 1990s and is more powerful than the RIC UP aids I have worn recently. I thought I would mention it, as looking at your audiogram, we have a similar loss.

Btw - itā€™s a fantastic aid in other respects too - bluetooth, good in noise, reliability - had no problems in very hot conditions, with sweat etc.

3 Likes

Thank you glucas. How is the bass on this? I listen to a lot of trance/EDM, so bass is important and needs to be deep. Iā€™ve found it quite lacking on the non-BTE aids Iā€™ve tried so far (with the exception on the 2017 Oticons I have now for some reason).

Bass is really really good. I wear closed moulds and get no feedback. I am able to hear and perceive low frequencies (music etc) in TV programmes that are in the background that I couldnā€™t perceive before.

1 Like

Good to learn you have 80% understanding via BT when using cell phone and pc. But when just hearing through aids what is your speech understanding?

Though Iā€™ve also been a candidate for CI for sometime, I was not aware that you can actually get a rough percentage estimate (per your post) regarding success of CI. Now you mentioned ā€œageā€ into the equation which I understand the older you are the longer it might take to become accustomed to a CI. But I was not aware that some one in medical field for CIā€™s would actually go out on a limb and put a ā€œpercentage stampā€ on success or failure of an impact.

Iā€™ve always felt thereā€™s no guarantee of final CI implant result (after a year plus) and you just roll the dice knowing odds are in your favor for hearing improvement. But final outcome depends on a number of factors depending on age, device, quality of surgery, Audi skills, healing, training and learning CI capabilities and shall we say some ā€œluckā€ on the side.

For a doctor or Audi to tell you your ā€œfinal resultsā€ with CI would probably not be up to your level of acceptability, tells me you either figured things out yourself or had someone be very honest with you in the CI process.

1 Like

Hi @glucas, I am glad you are still doing well with the Naida Lumity SPā€™s, the Lumityā€™s are indeed exceptional aids, are you using NAL NL2, fitting formula, if so, I believe there is a newer version, NAL NL3, it may be worth a try? I havenā€™t looked for it as yet? Also, I had a firmware update last week, on my Naida Lumity 90 UP BTEā€™s, (Old Firmware is 1.0.1.0, new is 1.0.3.0, check your app) I noticed immediately, clarity improved, slightly louder also, I had to turn them down 3 clicks on the rocker switch, until I got used to themā€¦ OP might do well with Naida SP or UPā€™s, I get around 12 days runtime, with moderate streaming, with the 675 batteries, these are by some distance, the best aids I have ever owned, in 30 odd years of using hearing aids with a severe/profound loss, if I could sum them up in one word it would be ā€œClarityā€ā€¦ Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

I donā€™t have the literature that I was given to me after letting me know I was a candidate for CI. And as you said there is no guarantee that CI implant will improve a persons hearing. And yes there is lots of cases where the patients hearing is improved. The big drawback for me is that the surgery is irreversible and a ten percent hearing improvement was not acceptable. There is no guarantee period. The CI literature was where I got my information. Sorry I could not be more specific with providing the literature but maybe someone on the forum has more information concerning CI

1 Like

Ten percent improvement over aides or ten percent improvement over your audiogram results?

Sounds awesome. A lot here are recommending this, so it may very well be the BTE I try first (and hopefully only). How do the dimensions compare to others, say the Oticon Xceeds? Also, do they fit well with glasses?

1 Like

ten percent hearing improvement.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up Kev! I will fire up Target and do some updates and take a look.

1 Like