Sending hearing aids in for service?

Has anyone here had issues with sending your aids in for service to phonak? What kind of changes or repairs can they make without you having to buy another hearing aid? According to my warranty only 1 aid is able to be replaced but I heard that when you send an aid in for repair they basically will just give you a brand new aid Instead.

I have had an aid sent in twice (Audeo p-90r) and best I can tell, they are new each time. The serial from the original is burned into your replacement, but scratches disappeared, the battery life went back to new level. I don’t think they care what is wrong with it. Or even maybe if anything is wrong with it. What matters is warranty, and if you are out of warranty, they typically have a fee for the “repair” (which is really a replacement) until they are no longer supporting that generation of aids.

WH

2 Likes

I wonder if your experience sending HAs in for service is representative of what I can expect. After having my new Philips 9040 about two weeks, my right HA stopped working. I don’t know for sure why this happened but it may be because I was in a very quiet movie theatre when suddenly extremely loud movie sound came on. I jumped and turned off the HAs, but damage may have been done. Costco sent both HAs to Philips. Maybe a replacement would be be easier than a repair.

That makes a lot of sense, I wanted to see if I could get a different housing color to a more gold one since beige isn’t an option according to my Audi.I just still really hate the silver metallic look.
I was told they can change the color but even if they have extra of it in stock since it’s no longer offered it can’t be given because they will just give me an entire new hearing aid. I find that to be confusing but I’m assuming it’s because it’s easy to replace the entire thing rather then try to find the one issue and actually fix it.

I posted this elsewhere, but here is my Phonak report when the aids were returned (5 yr warranty) after 3 and 2 years of age for high battery drain.

The older aid: Replaced electronics, housing, receiver, mic protector (filter), dome, and label. Also a general clean up.

The two year old aid: Replaced electronics, receiver, mic protector (filter), dome, and label. Also a general clean up.

The older aid may have been replaced completely but clearly the right one had the original case.

Colourwise, my original choice was champagne which is a good colour match for me.